5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
    Blog Entries

Discord vs. Teampspeak

So there's a LOT of controversy here.

TeamSpeak is the OLD standard. TeamSpeak is what everyone USED to use. A lot of people still do.

When I first started using Discord, I was EXTREMELY resistant. It has a learning curve JUST LIKE FANTASY GROUNDS DOES!

It does take some getting used to, but once you do, you'll react the same way you did when you when you started using FG, you'll never go back to anything else.

I uninstalled TeamSpeak about a year ago. I understand there is a lot of resistance to Discord, but there is now an official Fantasy Grounds Discord server... (https://discord.gg/ezNkcnq)

THIS IS THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE!!! Everyone should get on board. FG Con 12 is using this as it's main communication. My suggestion (and this IS only my humble opinion) is to try it out and give it a chance. You won't regret it.
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

Tried it out. Fails to "see" my mic. Teamspeak has no issue with my mic. I'm still getting the hang of FG, learning Discord would just be more work. For now, I'm happy sticking with what works for me.

BTW, love your work. Just purchased your complete works yesterday from DM Guild.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by davann View Post
    Tried it out. Fails to "see" my mic. Teamspeak has no issue with my mic. I'm still getting the hang of FG, learning Discord would just be more work. For now, I'm happy sticking with what works for me.

BTW, love your work. Just purchased your complete works yesterday from DM Guild.
    ThanX for the support! Regarding Discord, I would keep an interest. Again, there IS a learning curve, and as far as recognizing your mic, I'm sure you can get help with that and get it sorted. I myself am not an expert, as a matter of fact, I am having trouble with my mic and sound today, but it's not Discord, it's OBS and for streaming. I am NOT an expert on this sound/video stiuff, but I do know that I'll never restrict myself to the limits of TS when Discord works better and does SO MUCH MORE!
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

Blog Entries
    The whole mic thing is strange. As Laerun pointed out in the other thread, make sure your mic is connected and enabled before you start the app (either one). I've had players have problems with both applications and their mic. Never had time to get to root cause though *shrugs*.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I switched to Discord because I found the sound quality much better, and the way you can create groups makes it easy to stay in touch with your group.
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

Can I send two different sound streams as two different users to Discord, and allow the players to adjust volume / mute one of them but not the other? Also, it seems that Discord doesn't handle music nearly as well as Teamspeak (at least, last time I tried).

Edit: I just checked the Discord settings. Still don't see a way to setup two identities.

If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

You can run the test version and the normal one - you can also have an identity through a browser. rob2e has a you tube vid that shows how to do it. Personally, I use vlc to stream sounds/music though
    Ultimate License Holder - My games are free to play
    Timezone: GMT

I can do it with only running one client in Teamspeak, and it's a simple configuration option. Let me know when that's available for Discord.

Blog Entries
    I have run large fleet battles with hundreds of players on Eve Online via Teamspeak. I have Discord installed and the typing free form bulletin board helps to organize compared to sending emails, but I much prefer Teamspeak for my voice communications. I have seen little sign that the very large MMOs have moved to Discord for mission critical things.

I have confirmed that I can get Teamspeak working through the Great Firewall in China without a VPN. Has this been tested for Discord?
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Thread Information