5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last

Thread: Community Wiki

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JML View Post
    I'm obviously much too green to contribute at the moment, but I may come back later (onward to my first ruleset !!! )
    Don't count yourself out. Tackling a ruleset. That takes some guts. Actually I'd love to see a set of articles on how you came up to speed to do such a thing. What were your biggest obstacles to hurdle. I did something along those lines as a blog series on how I came up to speed in tackling my first extension. Take notes please and come back!

Ok, i'll try to take notes. But please, be patient. That's obviously a long task, and I'm no native english speaker

Minty,

I recently compiled a new Developer Guide from all the various sources, and rewrote large portions of the developer guide to be up to date with the latest information. Were you looking at those already?
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...eveloper_Guide

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    @Moon Wizard (and others):
    Would it be possible to field contributors "by invitation"? That sounds a little "old boys club", but that's not what I mean. Current moderators of the forums and future moderators of the Community Wiki, as if it has already been born, would keep an eye out and when someone asks a pertinent question, and fields appropriate answers in the forums, the knowledge seeker would be invited to write it up in the wiki. Of course some community members would decline, but they might consult with another. Knowledge does have a price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Minty,

I recently compiled a new Developer Guide from all the various sources, and rewrote large portions of the developer guide to be up to date with the latest information. Were you looking at those already?
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...eveloper_Guide

Regards,
    JPG
    I have not. If ignorance were a virtue, I would be the most virtuous man alive! I will digest these. Possibly I am out of a job!

One of the reasons that the wiki is limited access is because there is no single sign-on solution I have found that works with vBulletin and MediaWiki. Basically, I'd have to write my own, which is not in the cards any time soon. Since this is a manual process, this is another reason why I deliberately limited. I am not a fan of wide open wikis.

So, my default is that anyone can suggest content be added to the wiki. If that person provides the MediaWiki markup ready to go, it becomes very easy to add in. For granting access, I usually look for people that have been regular contributors to the forums for a lengthy amount of time, in addition to moderators (which are usually the same pool). People that I automatically agree to invite typically invite have thousands or tens of thousands of forum posts, which shows me they are an active long-time contributor.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    @Moon Wizard.
    Okay. I understand and acknowledge your decision process. I will let go of this bone. And when I believe I have content worth submitting I will format it and forward it to you.

Thanks for your indulgence and for entertaining this discussion.

I respect your views and decision, MW. Perhaps when I get the Generators extension posted I might qualify to operate a segment of the Wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I would definitely be willing to be a contributor and help moderate. Not willing to step up and be responsible for updating all of the content
    Actually Moon, I'd be willing to help Moderate as well - again, like LordE, I don't have time and/or the full FG-expanse of knowledge (across ALL the Rulesets, etc) to be the overall-one-in-change, but I'd certainly like to help (and, of course, I do already have Wiki-Edit Privliges and FWIW I run my own couple of very small Wikis)

Just my $0.02 offer
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Blog Entries
    In the meantime you absolutely can produce output and send to Moon Wizard (I can add it too) for addition to the Wiki.
    I do like the idea of having chunks of code and detailed explanations of what they do and how as references for other developers new and existing.
    I could host a community wiki and whilst it would have some advantages it would be better to leave things all here if possible and work within the current framework.

Thread Information