5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

New to FG. Question about playing

I am interested in playing the D&D 5E games and wanted to know if I need to get the Players Handbook addon for FG or is it included in the standard license?

Will I need the adventure modules for any adventures that someone is DM'ing or is that only if I DM the game?

Thanks for the help

If you are a player you just need to install Fantasy Grounds. If your DM has an Ultimate license you can use the Demo of FG. If they do not have an Ultimate license then you need to buy the Standard license. The DM will share what books he wants the players to have access to. When you connect to his server for his game then you can view the content of those books. As a Player you can buy the Players books but then you would also need to buy a license for Fantasy Grounds.

If you want to DM then you would need to buy a license and the ruleset.

Hopefully I have all that correct.

If you're only going to play, you don't need to buy anything, not even FG itself (unless the DM only has a standard license, then you'll need a standard license)

If you want to create characters by yourself, and not connected to a DM, then yes, you would be well off getting the PHB.

If you're only going to create characters while connected to a DM, then you'll be using his reference sources, not your own.

Hope this helps. If you have Discord, there are some truly awesome servers for FG peeps.

Check out https://www.fantasygroundscollege.net/

Dave
    (My apologies for parroting the above post, looks like we were typing at the same time)
    No signature needed, please leave parcel on the porch.

Thank you all, yes this has helped a lot

Blog Entries
    When you think about it, the PHB sells for $30. If they gave you the PHB free with a $39 Standard license purchase, Smiteworks would a) be devaluing their software criminally and b) out of business in short order.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thread Information