DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Mongoose Conan Use 3.5e or Convert to 5e

I would like to create a campaign using the Mongoose Conan 2ed material. My GM experience is mainly 3.5e and the Mongoose Conan material I have is 3.5e or d20. Based on what I have read here in the forums 3.5e ruleset has little automation and 5e ruleset would require coversion of the material.

I thought I would check to see what someone with more experience with FG might suggest. Should I do a conversion to 5e for additional automation or enter all my races, classes, and monsters and have less automation? My understanding is that the 3.5e ruleset has little to no automation and 5e does a number of stat bonus and modifier updates on the character sheet and includes encounter and story templates.

Any insight into this would be appreciated.

Depends what you mean by "little automation". Little automation as far as drag/drop character class/race info, but it has lots and lots of automation used during the session. Th Pathfinder ruleset is 99% of the 3.5E ruleset, so 3.5E is not the poor cousin here! It's feature rich and will give you a lot of functionality.

I'd run Conan in the 3.5E ruleset - you'll still have to enter the data you want to use, but you won't be converting to 5E as well. It will be less work in the long run and you'll be playing with a RPG system you're used to.
    Last edited by Trenloe; January 31st, 2018 at 00:41.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Use pathfinder. It has nearly as much automation as 5e and it is (in my opinion) the best ruleset ever.

Bidmaron, What would be the advantage of using the PathFinder ruleset over the 3.5e ruleset?

PF is more actively supported and Paizo publishes butt-tons of material for it all of the time. If you know 3.5, you will have no trouble playing PF. Here is a link to the conversion guide.

Not to start an edition war, but 3.5 was the best thing WotC ever did (and I have been playing D&D since the pamphlet days, although I left WotC at the 4e debacle, and the way they betrayed the RPG industry). PF is frequently called 3.75 informally.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    PF is more actively supported and Paizo publishes butt-tons of material for it all of the time. If you know 3.5, you will have no trouble playing PF. Here is a link to the conversion guide.

Not to start an edition war, but 3.5 was the best thing WotC ever did (and I have been playing D&D since the pamphlet days, although I left WotC at the 4e debacle, and the way they betrayed the RPG industry). PF is frequently called 3.75 informally.
    You say "not to start an edition war" but you make these comments all the time... personally - Im tired of it.

Blog Entries
    On FG, however, 3.5E and PFRPG are the same rulesets. That's why the PFRPG .pak file is only 19k -- it's literally just two Lua scripts that alters a couple things out of the 3.5E ruleset. All the automation scripts are contained in 3.5E so using that will be familiar to you system-wise and will contain all the scripts as well.

Nazzy, I made a Mongoose Conan ruleset. I changed the character sheets to use parry and dodge, and a few other things Conan specific. It had working automation, effects, etc. It was made for FG 3.0 if I remember. It was based of 3.5. I know it would have library issues and a few other things, but let me look at it and see if it could be brought up to date without to much trouble. If you know how to work under the hood in FG, I will send you the old ruleset. PM me.

Thanks to everyone that offered suggestions and comments. I've decided to go with the 3.5e ruleset. I just want to get some data entered and start playing. I believe that will shake out any issues and help me determine what's missing. I know there are a few Conan specific items I'll need to track which I start with just keeping the information in the character notes or possibly in FG Notes. I've already started collecting some questions about the ruleset and best conventions for entering module data, but I'll start a thread in the 3.5E ruleset forum.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pratt View Post
    Nazzy, I made a Mongoose Conan ruleset. I changed the character sheets to use parry and dodge, and a few other things Conan specific. It had working automation, effects, etc. It was made for FG 3.0 if I remember. It was based of 3.5. I know it would have library issues and a few other things, but let me look at it and see if it could be brought up to date without to much trouble. If you know how to work under the hood in FG, I will send you the old ruleset. PM me.
    Hey Paul, do you still have this ruleset?

Thanks

Thread Information