5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

[LFP] Sundays 6-10pm EST - D&D 5E Level 1-20 LONG TERM

A disturbance is felt with your next keystroke; something is amiss. As you flip through your open browser tabs, something catches your minds-eye as it certainly didn't catch your conscious thought. Your mouse clicks, and has brought you here...Indeed, another D&D game is searching for souls to harvest, to reap, and reward.

Current Running Roster: SEE POST BELOW

FG License: Standard
    Game System: D&D 5E (The Shackled City Campaign Modified and Converted from 3.5)
    Time Zone: EST (UTC -05:00)
    Day Of Week: Sunday.
    Start Time: 6pm or 7pm (6pm is the usual)
    End Time: 10pm or 11pm (depending on start time)
    Note 1: During the game we take a 15 minute break depending on how deep we are in combat or RP.
    Note 2: There is a vote 1 hour before the scheduled end time, to potentially extend the game an additional hour if there is a boss fight, having too much fun, etc.
    Planned Start Date: Session Zero Start Date April 1st 2018.
    Planned Duration & Frequency: Weekly. We run for 4 Hours Minimum, 6 Hours Maximum.
    Term: A FEW YEARS.

Text or Voice: Voice
    Voice Software Used: Discord

Roleplay & Combat Mix: 50/50
    Number of Players In Game & Needed: Currently Have 2. Need 3-4 More. Minimum to Start is 5, might go with 6 if the right player.
    Character Starting Level & Equipment: Level 1. Basic Equipment. However, as part of applying, you must write a detailed, lengthy backstory. If you include a mysterious item, or a magical item in it, I'll consider letting you have it...
    Character restrictions: PHB Races, PHB Classes. This is a heavily magical world, but sword-swingers aren't left out in the least. Spellcasters will want to see the notes I have below.

Details of your scenario:
    "Set in the world of Oerth, the region of the Flanaess circa 596 CY; trouble is stirring atop an unimpressive mountain. What waits for you there? Why are you here? How did you get here? That is for another story; what you see before you in this city are tightly packed buildings built from volcanic rock and wood, lining the inner bowl of a nameless, dormant volcano. Cobblestone roads form concentric circles around a small but deep lake of cold water which fills the volcano's basin. A 50-foot-tall fortified wall of black malachite encircles the city, tracing the outer rim of the volcano. You’re finally here, finally, in Cauldron."

What I Expect From You/Notes About Game:

A. 21+. Sorry Younglings. Drinking whilst playing is encouraged. I usually call it an 'Elixir of Tongues' when I imbibe... Anyways, I emphasize an open-world, sandbox in my campaigns; so racism, sexual encounters, chauvinism, drug-use, is all acceptable and has happened multiple times in the campaigns I run. There are few things that cross-the-line, but we're adults, so let's not do stuff that might cause a Deva to rip your soul into a thousand pieces and have one of those pieces end up in a coffee cup that always makes it taste bad. Now that's out of the way...

B. You read correctly, this will run for YEARS. This is a Full Level 1-20 Campaign and it is full of content the entire way. I recently ended a campaign that was about a year long, and they were level 6-7. I have a lot of material prepared, and I will make all the tools available for you to succeed on your missions, quests...things. It just might not be right under your nose. Bottom line is, this is a commitment and a long one at that. DO NOT APPLY IF YOU CANNOT DEVOTE THIS TIME/EFFORT OVER AN EXTENDED MULTI-YEAR TIMEFRAME!!! I won't kick you for missing one or two sessions, but if you miss 3 in a row, unannounced, I will be looking for replacements, and that is always a pain-in-the-arse, especially once a campaign is in the middle of something. Don't be that guy/gal please.

C. To apply, you must send me a lengthy, detailed backstory of your character. The trials and tribulations he or she has gone through, how they got to this point in their life, their parents, do they know their parents?, what their goals are or were, some character flaws, boons, if they died and were brought back to life, if their mind is shattered, their soul lost, and of course any unresolved issues. The more meat you give me, the better chances you are to getting a play spot, and the more interesting your journey will be. You don't need to be as concerned with how you got to the starting area, as I will help out with that. You see, what you write me, I'll then write an addendum to it, linking you to the main story. Please be detailed. Less is not more here, more is more! It also might get you really cool items, so, give me the tools to make you a god.

D. Magic/Spells/Feats/Items. You are allowed to source ANY spell, ANY scroll, ANY potion, ANY magical item, ANY item, ANY feat from ANYWHERE, but I have to approve it. I might modify it if its overpowered, but more times than not you'll get it. If the spell currently exists in 5E however, it keeps that form.

E. I expect everyone to be on time, including myself. I announce the start time, date, and a quick recap of the previous game in the Pins in Discord. We're adults, putting in hours of our demanding lives to enjoy tickling our imagination. Don't waste others time! I do not start the game if we are missing 2 players. If there is 1 missing, I will either play that character as a lobotomized zombie, or if in town, they will be at the tavern drinking all day. If you let me know ahead of time of an absence, you can give me a synopsis of what that character will do for next session, and I'll do my best to see it through, otherwise, they're a zombie or a drunkard.

F. You must SPEAK. Discord is required with voice. You can use voice-activated but if your background is too noisy, you'll have to use push-to-talk.

G. This is a HARD Campaign. Be prepared to do a lot of healing and take a lot of healing. Also prepare to be confused, stumped or unsure of where to go. TAKE NOTES. I will give you all the tools necessary to defeat, find, destroy, win, etc etc any issue I put in front of you. I'll also give you the benefit of the doubt, and hand you the solution from time-to-time for the sake of keeping the game running smoothly, but it will diminish the reward in XP and gold or value.

H. Experience in this campaign is different. The breakup is about: 40% RP. 25% Combat. 10% Journal. 10% Quests/Missions. 10% Feats/Impressive Solutions 5% On-Time. So, RP is a big part of your experience. It is also not rewarded to the group, but to the individual. You're progress of your character is only 35% based on group, (Combat/Quests/Missions). The other 65% is all your performance as a player. The more RP you put out, the more you're on time, the better and more often you submit your journal, and the more ingenuity you use in solving a task, the greater the reward will be for you, your level, and probably your fun. RP is comprised of speaking in character and conversing with the world. You eat and drink in real life, so do that! If all you do to buy a piece of armor is throw coins at the table and point to the plate on the wall, you're going to be level 5 when everyone else is level 10. Combat is bringing somethings HP to 0 or 1. Interrogation is a thing. Journal. So this is the barometer for the game, its your chance to tell me 2 things: How are you feeling about the game as a person in real-life, and how is your IN-GAME character doing, feeling, thinking, looking forward to. Essentially, tell me how the game went, tell me about the other players, any issues you are having, helpful hints, pointers, tips, this is your opportunity to get out gripes with myself or perhaps bring an issue to my attention about another player. I can be very overbearing when unchecked, so let me know when its too much, you have the opportunity for feedback here. I also want to know what your character is thinking so perhaps I can consider that as an option. Put your age in front of your private message subject line to me for your application. Making sure you're paying attention. Quests/Missions. Pretty straightforward, go do this, get that, resurrect this gal, kill this guy. Feats/Impressive Solutions. I love traps, I like putting you in traps and killing your characters, but fairly. If you do something ingenious that I never thought of, or do something absolutely amazing, then I will reward you with XP. On Time. Yes, you need to be on time and ready to play AT the start time. I will generally have the game up 15-30 minutes early, and you can log in and get ready. But at the designated start time, I'll do quick attendance, and that's when it counts. If you're not going to be there, let me know, and it won't count against you...again...adults.

I. I have a set of house rules. Such as for me, a natural 20 on an ABILITY check, is considered a success almost always, and a 1 is always a dismal failure. But this post is now huge, and if you're accepted I'll send you the house rules.

J. Have a Standard or Ultimate License in FG. Have some experience playing in Fantasy Grounds, and experience with 5E. This is not for newbies, as once we start, I expect 1 session of cob-web shaking but the next one should be glorious.

TL;DR: 21+. Multi-year game. Can use any spell, item, feat, etc if I approve. Send me a long backstory to be considered. Make it cool. Be on time. Participate. You have to speak. Don't be an arse. Tell me when I am an arse. This game will be hard, but enjoyable...giggity.

Hope to hear from you soon and enjoy an adventure together! Good Luck!

-Holo
    Last edited by HoloDarksbane; February 4th, 2018 at 02:54.
    License: Standard
    Player for ~16 Years
    DM for Cumulative 8 Years
    ~2 Years Experience with FG System
    Time Zone: EST (-5 GMT)
    Preferred Class: Bard or Cleric
    Preferred Game System: 5E
    Term: Long-Term Only As I Like To Get To Know The World, I Relish RP.

Post Character Limit Exceeded. BAH!

I will post here the current roster and some information on how I run my games/rules etc when I have a free moment.

Total Players Needed: 5 (Perhaps 6)

CURRENT CONFIRMED PLAYERS:

Half-Elf Female Sorcerer
    Dwarf Male Fighter
    Human Male Cleric
    Half-Orc Male Barbarian
    Tiefling Female Paladin
    Human Male Wizard

Some Tips for the Game And Deciding Your Character Design:

Greyhawk Pantheon. The Gods are powerful. Worshiping them 'Properly' can make you powerful as well. However, equal punishment for their followers that do not pray every once and a while, or exhibit blatant disregard for the teachings of them.

My last campaign, the one that had the lowest stats ended up being arguably the most powerful of the party. Stats are not everything, but they help in saving throws.

After level 5, death is more a more permanent thing in my games and not to be taken lightly. Revivify and even Raise Dead won't be your bread-and-butter 'Save The Day' spells as you're used to. Too much death taxes the soul and its link to the physical form. The link can be severed, and lost forever if not taken care of...

I like to custom make magical items. I often make them absurdly powerful, and have to either make it at a great personal cost, or simply nerf them. So although a Necklace of Fireballs is pretty awesome to have, its nothing compared to say...Bow of the Windless Plane.

Some Of My House Rules:

• No Flanking. There may be exceptions if you or the target is completely surrounded. Ask.

• Moving Through Other Creatures Space: You can move through a non-hostile creature’s space. In contrast, you can move through a hostile creature’s space only if the creature is at least two sizes larger or smaller than you. Remember that another creature’s space is difficult terrain for you. Whether a creature is a friend or an enemy, you can’t willingly end your move in its space. You can however, spend your turn shoving a hostile creature a la Bullrush.

• Using a Healer’s Kit in Combat and Within Range of a Hostile Creature, Provokes OA from that Creature.

Similar to Attack Rolls; Skill Checks that Roll a 1 or a 20, are automatic failures or automatic successes, except in rare circumstances, at the DM’s discretion.

• PHB classes, PHB races. You may multiclass into ONE additional class, provided you meet the requirements.

• You can choose ONE OF THE FOLLOWING: the standard array 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8. Point buy, or you can choose to roll stats. Roll 4d6, remove the lowest roll, add together to get a stat. Do this 6 times. You can arrange the rolled scores to correspond with any stat you wish. You keep what you roll. EXCEPT if you roll ALL 6 stats under 10’s, I will give you one 18 to replace any stat you choose.

• 3 Short Rests and 1 Long Rest per 24 hour period.

• No using Persuasion/Intimidation on other PC’s without effort. Use Comms (Discord) for that, or type it out. RP it out. THEN if you've put enough into it, you can roll.

• Standing Up from Prone is Half of your Movement

• UNARMED DAMAGE: Without Tavern Brawler Feat. The attack roll is d20 + your Strength OR Dexterity Modifier. The damage is your strength modifier (minimum 1). Damage is considered non-lethal.

• UNARMED DAMAGE: With Tavern Brawler, unarmed attacks are considered to be used with the finesse aspect. Your fists are not considered weapons for the purposes of spells. Damage is 1d4 + Strength OR Dexterity Modifier. If your modifier is a negative, simply roll a 1d4. So if your strength is 9 (-1), and you have Tavern Brawler, you do 1d4. If your strength is 14(+2), you do 1d4 + 2. Damage is considered non-lethal.

• Grappling: When within range (5ft), you can use your Action to grapple the target. If you are able to make multiple attacks with the Attack action, this attack replaces one of them. You can attempt to grapple more than once per round in this way. You make a Strength (Athletics) check contested by the target’s Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. If you succeed, the target is considered grappled. Grappling a target makes it not be able to run away. It gives no advantage or disadvantage to either target. You can move/drag a grappled target at half speed, unless the target is 2 or more sizes smaller than you, you can move at normal speed. Escaping a grapple is a full action, but allows a bonus action and movement. While grappling a target, you cannot cast spells with the somatic(S) component, unless you have the Warcaster feat. Releasing a grapple is a FREE action. You can only grapple a target up to one size larger than you.

• Passive Perception: Passive perception is not used for finding secret doors.

• Items must be placed into a container in Fantasy Grounds. When buying/selling/looting, be sure to denote in your inventory which container it goes into. Otherwise, if a bag or item is removed, i.e. acid, I will assume those items are in the DESTROYED bag and are lost, or if someone is stealing from you, I assume they are in the easiest accessible areas. Protect your gear! Specify!

• Will be using the PHB (Page 146-147) rules on ammunition.

• For a Surprise Round: If you or your party is simply sneaking around, and you open a door, and its assumed they would notice the door opening, and both parties are surprised, there is no surprise round regardless of if you were stealthing. The door opened. However, if you come up in a hallway for example, and their Passive Perception did not defeat any of your stealth rolls, then they are surprised, should you choose to attack. The party doing the surprising takes a FULL Round of Action which replaces Round 0. You may take movement, action, and bonus action, but no reaction (unless you have the ‘Alert’ feat). The party being surprised cannot react (unless they have the ‘Alert’ feat). After all have acted, the next round is considered Round 1, and reactions may be taken from then on.

• Round 0. Unless you have taken a turn in combat, you do not have a reaction. So if a creature is in your space at the start of turn 0, and moves out of your reach, you CANNOT attack it, as you have not yet had a turn in combat yet. This is part of why having high initiative is good. If you have the ‘Alert’ feat, you can take your reaction on Round 0, but you do not get your reaction back until the start of your turn on Round 1.
    Last edited by HoloDarksbane; June 11th, 2018 at 13:34.
    Player for ~16 Years

Would love to play in the game, please let me know if you still have room.

John

Long Term Group

Hello,

This is showing as updated recently, but the posts are from 2016, and 2015.
    Either way, the only thing I am good at is telling stories, and I would love a long term campaign if this is still open?
    Anyway, I would like to do 2 levels of cleric, and the rest wizard. I will be choosing a find familiar spell once I get started, and I would like to be a back up healer, especially when I get my owl as a familiar, which can hopefully drop a touch spell here and there.
    So, my backstory is written more like the beginning of a novel, rather than a standard backstory. I hope you enjoy it.

D&D Origin Story Ardaz.pdf

Looks fun! When are you making final decisions on applicants?

This is the kind of campaign I've been dreaming of, but it clashes with the only other campaign commitment that I have in terms of date. I hope you find the people you need, and I hope to join in the future down the road if you make another campaign like this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnshep View Post
    Would love to play in the game, please let me know if you still have room.

John
    Absolutely still have room. Game is starting in a little less than 2 months, but the prep is always worth it in my experience. Please, send me a PM with your character idea, background, race, age, etc. A synopsis of what you want to do with the character, or just let the chips fall where they may =)
    Player for ~16 Years

Quote Originally Posted by allenedg View Post
    Looks fun! When are you making final decisions on applicants?
    If someone writes me something that is too good to pass up! Its not going to be a compare and contrast situation, if you fit, you fit, I wouldn't want to take someone along this multi-year adventure if they outwardly show no exceptional traits that would add to the value of the story and the party as a whole. I've already put a few hundred hours into this campaign, I want players with similar passions. If I read the app and say "Oooooohhh" in my mind, its pretty much a guaranteed spot after speaking to you in Discord and making sure everything works out =)
    Player for ~16 Years

Quote Originally Posted by ultimakuja129 View Post
    This is the kind of campaign I've been dreaming of, but it clashes with the only other campaign commitment that I have in terms of date. I hope you find the people you need, and I hope to join in the future down the road if you make another campaign like this.
    =(. Life happens, so sometimes you lose players, I will necro this post if/when a player must part from the family of sorts we're creating due to a real-life need.
    Player for ~16 Years

Quote Originally Posted by JasonRazCalZevr View Post
    Hello,

This is showing as updated recently, but the posts are from 2016, and 2015.
    Either way, the only thing I am good at is telling stories, and I would love a long term campaign if this is still open?
    Anyway, I would like to do 2 levels of cleric, and the rest wizard. I will be choosing a find familiar spell once I get started, and I would like to be a back up healer, especially when I get my owl as a familiar, which can hopefully drop a touch spell here and there.
    So, my backstory is written more like the beginning of a novel, rather than a standard backstory. I hope you enjoy it.

D&D Origin Story Ardaz.pdf
    This is a fine example of what I am seeking! Well done sir!
    Player for ~16 Years

Thread Information