5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Frequent, disruptive crashes

So as a developer I realize this is a huge vague problem and you need details, but not sure what details would be helpful...

I am hosting a weekly game on an Ultimate version on a Mac.

All my players are on the demo version, all on PCs except for one, (we have 7 total)

Invariably ... every week ... we'll have 1-3 players who have to shut down, quit process, or otherwise restart their game before they are able to:

A) Connect at all: the server says Soandso connecting ... Soandso dropped over and over... (this while others have connected just fine)
    B) View a map: I share a map and some players see it and it loads just fine, others get the "Image of Doom" where they get all kinds of loading errors and have to restart the app.
    C) Get their game to stop crashing: Sometimes instead of just B, they get the "Superior Image of Doom" The description for that item is: "Once per long rest causes you to no longer be able to connect to the server, or in the odd case that you do, cause the image to crash your game. The only solution to this is to roll a DC 15 Intelligence saving throw, and blow away your game cache"

Lets see, what else...
    We're playing D&D 5e and I have all the primary books (though not all adventures) but the content we're running is custom.

I wouldn't know what else would be relevant.

Blog Entries
    My best guess would be you have too many images/tokens shared, or your map files are too big. We had a game in which the GM FG kept crashing when everyones was logging, to learn that one of the player was trying to use an image for his token that was 1.6 MB.

99% of the times this will be caused by the FG instance using too much memory - usually due to too much being shared with the players.

1) FG is a 32-bit application, so it is limited to the memory it can use. You'll start having issues (errors and crashes) above 3GB of memory use.
    2) The player side instance loads all resources - shared and open modules. These all take up valuable memory.
    3) Tokens - don't share too many tokens with players, and make sure tokens are not large in file size - 500kb or less is a good guide.

So, check what modules you have allowed the players to access. Only give them access to player designated modules. Don't allow access to DM side modules like the MM or DMG or adventure modules. Once you've reduced what the players can access, get the players to clear their cache (Nuke button in the top right of the "join game" screen") before they next join your game.

If you've shared a lot of images, unshare the ones you no longer need.

If you've added custom images/maps check their resolution - the recommendation is to keep maps/images 2048x2048 or below. The more pixels the more memory FG will need.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hmm... This isn't on load ... at least... the big nasty map causes crash isn't. It does take time to load initially though... and they are all using my tokens which are right-sized

Quote Originally Posted by Gix View Post
    the big nasty map causes crash isn't.
    What is the resolution of this big nasty map? Also, as a second thing to consider for file sharing time, what is the file size?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    99% of the times this will be caused by the FG instance using too much memory - usually due to too much being shared with the players.

1) FG is a 32-bit application, so it is limited to the memory it can use. You'll start having issues (errors and crashes) above 3GB of memory use.
    2) The player side instance loads all resources - shared and open modules. These all take up valuable memory.
    3) Tokens - don't share too many tokens with players, and make sure tokens are not large in file size - 500kb or less is a good guide.

So, check what modules you have allowed the players to access. Only give them access to player designated modules. Don't allow access to DM side modules like the MM or DMG or adventure modules. Once you've reduced what the players can access, get the players to clear their cache (Nuke button in the top right of the "join game" screen") before they next join your game.

If you've shared a lot of images, unshare the ones you no longer need.

If you've added custom images/maps check their resolution - the recommendation is to keep maps/images 2048x2048 or below. The more pixels the more memory FG will need.
    Thank you! That is very detailed and specific. (and appalling, in the case of 32 bit). I'll try that next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    What is the resolution of this big nasty map? Also, as a second thing to consider for file sharing time, what is the file size?

The map isn't big and nasty, the crash is what is big and nasty . The map is about 2k x 2k.

You didn’t answer second half of his question. What is size of image file?

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    You didn’t answer second half of his question. What is size of image file?
    Yes, sorry. I can't answer that right now. It's at home... I'm at work... clearly working hard

Blog Entries
    Note, that if a client is on a 32-bit OS (as opposed to a 64-bit OS) the process size limit for them will be around 1.5GB and not the 3GB mentioned before.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information