Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Mac OSX?

Mac OSX?

Any plans to make FG run on a MAc OSX?

Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Veelivar
    Any plans to make FG run on a MAc OSX?

Dan.
    I am not a dev, but a fellow Mac user and, therefore, cool person. Unfortunately, and I may be happily corrected by a dev-type, I think it is unlikely that a non-windows version will appear. For reasons that may have nothing to do with market-share, etc. Rather, I base this assumption on their integration with the DirectX graphics API. In my estimation, it would be a whole new piece of software that would need to be written that would use the same messaging protocol.

*sigh*

I basically went out and bought a windows PC to connect to my HD to play using FG so you can imagine how happy I would have been to hear a Mac version existed!

As an aside, have you picked up an Intel/Mac yet?
    Announcing Longbeard Mountain. A place for gamers (particularly those using Fantasy Grounds) to discuss their games, share ideas, chronicle adventures and campaigns, and more.

[email protected]

grumble grumble grumble... should have used Java... grumble grumble grumble (Java would have been perfect for a program like this)

More seriously it really depends on how it's been coded, these day's OSX and Linux are real alternaitves that should be considered. My next computer is more than likely going to be a Mac. It would be nice to run FG on it

Dan.

Short answer: Not anytime soon judging from what the developers say. 1.06 is a major upgrade, which will likely cause 1.07 to be primarily about stability and small fixes/improvements to all the changes made in 1.06. Release schedule seems to be about once a quarter, which would put 1.07 in the June time frame.

To make FG run on Mac, FG would have to run on OpenGL as opposed to DirectX. Even with a well engineered application that takes a lot of time. At the earliest, my guess is this process could start around July, would take about 6 months and perhaps come out for Christmas. Al this, naturally, is speculation. The developers have neither confirmed nor denied their intent to make FG on Mac a priority.

I was just wondering if there was any plan at all to look into it? I did a quick search of the forums but nothing came up.

I know how diffucult a prospect it is, especially if it wasn't in the initial plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Veelivar
    grumble grumble grumble... should have used Java... grumble grumble grumble (Java would have been perfect for a program like this)

More seriously it really depends on how it's been coded, these day's OSX and Linux are real alternaitves that should be considered. My next computer is more than likely going to be a Mac. It would be nice to run FG on it

Dan.
    First, I don't want to start a Windows vs. the World flamewar, especially since I would probably be on the same side as you and everyone else. But, the cold, hard fact is Java is a great platform-independant tool but it really sucks wind for graphical work. Anyone who has used Dundjinni will know this. I also use a lot of Java apps professionally and the more graphical and GUI they are, the more they bog, hang, suck resources and give me time to refill my coffee mug. (Wait, that's why I like Java!)
    Announcing Longbeard Mountain. A place for gamers (particularly those using Fantasy Grounds) to discuss their games, share ideas, chronicle adventures and campaigns, and more.

[email protected]

I personally applaud the decision to avoid Java. The only decent Java app I have ever seen is Azureus and even that feels like a wart on my system.

This is not quite true. If it had used swing maybe (and I mean maybe) but as FG uses DirectX and really dosn't look like it is using mfc windowing either. In Java you have the option of OpenGL which is just as fast as in C++, really. You would also get xplatform for free. Not to mention that Java is quicker to program in and gives you a whole lot more for free.

I don't want to start a war either I've seen too many of them online. Neither do I want to criticise the FG devs they have created a fantasic tool. I'm just tired of the whole Java is slow issue. It comes up time and time again and it's not true anymore. I have been a C++ deva nd now program Java. One of my hobbies I sometime engage in is programming games (in java) I don't get anywhere as I don't have much free time and I'm fickle but the "java is slow for graphics" line isn't true.

I'm not suggest in FG should be re-written either that would be silly.

oh well

shouldn't have mentiond Java

Dan.

@sunbeam60 do you have a modern vm? (1.5)

The devs have expressed interest in the past about creating a mac version. But as someone else said, I think this is out there a ways.

rv

Thread Information