5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
    Upstate NY (and not Westchester, I mean dead in the middle)

GAP & PRO Themes... now open source

MOD: From here.
    Good news everyone. ll00ll00ll00ll gave us permission to update and include the GAP/PRO themes with the standard FG install. They are now included in the v3.3.4 beta test in the Test mode update channel. They are now called Simple Brown and Simple Gray, respectively.
    Due to work and family obligations I am not currently able to support or develop the GAP and PRO themes to my satisfaction. Therefore, I would like to release these extensions to the FG forum. I know that there is a pool of talent here that will modify and support these extensions in a timely manner. I will be making the announcement on my DMs Guild regarding this. I still have to work out how to direct traffic here to the forum, so if anyone has thoughts on that, I'd love to hear it.

CAVEATS / THINGS TO KNOW:

1. At the time of uploading these files, the extensions are in the form they last appeared on the DMs Guild. They still include all of the copyright information and logos I designed into them. My first request is that they be scrubbed of this information before any new versions / iterations are uploaded. I am not currently able to support these, and I don't want new users to come looking for me to support something, wasting their time waiting for a response from me, when it will not be coming.
    2. I am including the source art files. These are in the form of a single Adobe Illustrator CC file. I have tried to make this work with other cheaper options (inkscape / affinity designer), none have worked since they don't have multiple artboard support, which is one of the keys to the organization of the file. I believe Illustrator has a free month option... this may be of value to you when working on this file. This will only work with the most recent Illustrator CC (2018). I know this will be a barrier to entry for some, but I don't know how else I would have achieved these extensions. I have the Adobe CC software available because of my work. I will say that there really is nothing quite like Illustrator out there. There is plenty of bloat in it, but it's still the best at what it does. The same can't be said anymore for Photoshop or Acrobat. This .ai file may technically be importable to some of the other vector editing software out there, but it won't work right, mostly because of the multiple artboards. Using this file properly will require some fairly advanced knowledge of Illustrator. None of it is terribly difficult, but it's certainly not beginner stuff. There are many resources out there for learning Illustrator (it is well worth your time, for many reasons beyond these extensions). I may be able to answer basic questions regarding my design / layout / organization method, but I'm not going to be available to "teach illustrator".
    3. These extensions are non-standard in their file/folder organization. Because of the way the source art is organized, I found it easier to locate ALL of the resource art in a single graphics folder. This way, with the EXPORT FOR SCREENS function in Illustrator, all .png files are written to a single folder, rather than navigating to different folders. This is purely a convenience thing.
    4. The .ai art file has a couple of features that increase productivity. The first is that the artboards have been custom named to match the art resource it replaces (this was a large part of the work that went in to this, and is the "secret" to quick creation of new themes), which is the basis of how all this works. Simply EXPORT FOR SCREENS at 72dpi / .png file type / scale 1x.
    5. There are 4 layers in the .ai file. The bottom layer is all of the original CORE RPG artwork, which is all embedded and will aid in art replacement. There is a layer called "DOE_Extension", this includes all of the original artowrk from the DOE base extension. This has yet to be implemented in the actual extensions (this is the point where I left off). There are currently several requests in the forum for replacement of the original DOE artwork, to keep the buttons in line with the GAP & PRO extensions. I ask that you please be sure that Dulux OZ is ok with your implementation.
    6. The intention is that you must turn off visibility on any of the layers you are not intending to replace. For instance, if you're working on the GAP theme, that should be the only layer visible when exporting the .png files. All other layers must be turned OFF when exporting, or they will show in your artwork. Again, this is basically a convenience thing. This will allow easier visibility into what exactly you are replacing.
    7. All of the iconography and fonts in these extensions come either from myself or google. To my knowledge at the time of this writing, these are made freely available to the public for use in projects like this. Please be sure check the licensing status of all fonts and artwork you choose to add to these extensions. All original art I've created for these themes I give freely to this forum for use in these extensions, as well as any forked versions of these extensions.
    8. I will respond to questions about file organization and design intent as my time allows. I will be modifying the original extension forum posts to include a link to this thread to eliminate confusion.
    9. At the time of this writing, the download stats for these themes from the DMs Guild are: FG GAP - 807 downloads / FG PRO - 516 downloads.
    10. I will gladly contribute any information as my availability allows. I am not completely abandoning this project, I just can't focus enough time or attention on these to keep up to date with upcoming releases, etc.
    11. Thanks for all of the support, this has truly been an enjoyable learning experience. As you will see in the extension, my "coding" ability is basically non-existant, so I apologize for any unnecessary complications I've built into these. Good Luck.

Attached are the extensions / fonts / art files used to generate the files currently available on the DMs Guild.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by LordEntrails; June 3rd, 2020 at 16:40.

Thank you very much. I bought your theme extension some time ago anyway.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for doing this. I hope someone picks this up.

On the DMsG, you can set the product to be private. That would mean that it would no longer show up on searches and the like. I do not know how it would impact people who have already purchased it from there though or how you might direct them here.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Thanks for doing this. I hope someone picks this up.

On the DMsG, you can set the product to be private. That would mean that it would no longer show up on searches and the like. I do not know how it would impact people who have already purchased it from there though or how you might direct them here.
    I've added a note to the top of each of the theme's pages on DM's Guild. I will be making them private on January 31st. It feels so final and makes me sad, but there's nothing I hate more than to have someone develop something that I use often, and then for them to totally abandon it. I really hope that these get active support here on the forum, though I can't really enforce that, hurts to admit i can't handle the workload.

Blog Entries
    Couldn't a link to here just be added to the product description?
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    I'm not certain about their policy to linking outside of that site. For now, I've added the following text to both pages. I've reached out to DM's Guild but have yet to hear an answer back from them.

2018/01/14 - This extension has been made open source and is now available on the Fantasy Grounds Forums free of charge. This extension will not receive any further updates on the DM's Guild. I am fairly certain it's against Terms of Service to link to anything outside of the DM's Guild, but if you go to the Fantasy Grounds Forum and search for "GAP & PRO Themes... now open source", you should find future support there. Thanks for all of your support, family and work obligations have made this move necessary.
    I will remove this title from the DM's Guild on January 31 2018. Please look on the Fantasy Grounds Forums for futher support and updates.

I don't want anyone who has gotten them from there to be left totally high and dry. My initial posts to DM's Guild was part of the experiment, I never considered that these might become somewhat popular and didn't think of this eventuality...

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure if this option is available for people building content for DMsGuild or not, but for publishers, you can send an email to all buyers of a product who have their account set to allow emails from publishers.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    The only links allowed in a DMsG description are links that point to DMsG pages.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    I'm not sure if this option is available for people building content for DMsGuild or not, but for publishers, you can send an email to all buyers of a product who have their account set to allow emails from publishers.
    I don't think we have that option. What is the name of the Account page link?
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    Yea, DMsG authors are not considered publishers so we don't have those options or access to purchaser details at all.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information