5E Character Create Playlist

Streamlining Combat during encounters

Hello all.

I was wondering if any seasoned DM's could give me a few pointers on making combat (as well as other aspects of the game) as streamlined and smooth as possible in FG.

Obviously there are a few kinks to smooth out for a DM transitioning from table to virtual table and I just wanted to reach out to this community to see what some of its members had to say.

Cheers

Blog Entries
    The players know when they are due to act.
    Tell them to be ready to act.
    There is a Combat Timer extension that can be used...

If two or three players are next in init before the next monster - allow them all to act.

As a GM get your NPC targets setup in advance so that you can double click actions and fire off your attacks quickly.

Its the players responsibility to learn what their characters can do and how to do it... push back on them.

First, analyze your game and see what is slowing down combat. Then we can give you better advice on how to fix the specific issue. Analyze, identify, overcome.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Depends on your system.

Generally I've found that making/using extensions that put the focus on the map rather than FG window cancer will aid in this. A right-click mini-effect context window helps as well as snapping the combat tracker based on token selection. As a GM for large combats, effect management, and high-visibility of unconscious/dead/dying/staggered/disabled/incapacitated is valuable so you can process quickly. I use a color coded tracker so I don't need to check the amount of wounds on an NPC to decide if I should quickly bypass him/her/it; note that I leave them on as some baddies can be healed back up.

Blog Entries
    The biggest thing with FG is are you and your players using targeting and the combat tracker correctly? Other than that, we need to know what parts are slow

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    When I'm the player, I'll go ahead and admit that my attention wanders every few... um... what was I saying? SQUIRREL!

So as GM -- even though the Combat Tracker is (ideally) right in the players face and they can (ideally) see when they'll be acting next -- it can't hurt to verbalize "Ok, Jenny it's your turn, Ben you're on deck! Jenny, what do you do?" just to drill the point home and get them ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    When I'm the player, I'll go ahead and admit that my attention wanders every few... um... what was I saying? SQUIRREL!
    I find random initiative helps a little with this, especially if you hide the initiative order from players.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Thread Information