DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Experiance Advancements

The Restriction on one attribute die type increase per rank. Is that restricted to One Attribute total are one per attribute per rank? with there being only 5 ranks I was just wanting a clarification as it would be impossible to raise attributes very high if the first?

AFAIK, the rules for character generation and advancement are not enforced by the game engine. You can award attribute points and edges as you wish. Fantasy Grounds will not fault you or keep you from overspending.

The flip side of this is that many GMs ask players to keep a log of how they spent advancement points by writing notes on the character sheet. "20: Advanced STR to d8" or "05: improved both fighting and notice" might serve as examples of a note.

As Topdecker notes FG doesn't enforce this, but if it's just a question about the actual Savage Worlds rules I would note that you are only supposed to advance 1 attribute per Rank UNTIL Legendary. See the note under Ranks on p. 43, "You may only choose this option once per Rank. No Trait may be raised above a d12 (but see the Professional and Expert Legendary Edges). Legendary characters may raise an attribute every other Advance." So once you hit Legendary you can still advance Attributes every other Advance instead of every Rank.
    Lenny Zimmermann
    Metairie, LA

Ok so it is extremely difficult to have an attribute above an 8 and even more so to have two are more at 8 and above? If Appling the rules as written.

Some races will start a character with a 6 in a single attribute.

If you look at how edges are written, it is common for the upper level edges to require an 8 in an attribute - or maybe even a pair of attributes. I cannot think of any edges that require a 10+ - but maybe I just did not notice it. Anyhow, the point of mentioning this is that it is uncommon for the system to ask for much more than an 8 in a particular attribute as a requirement.

When it comes to the odds you also hit peak efficiency at d8. Anything higher your odds are still better, but at a slower rate of improvement than it is going from d4 to d6 and from d6 to d8 (although once you start adding a +1 or +2 to that it jumps back up again). That being said, I don't think i would say it's extremely difficult, in RAW, to get an attribute above d8. During character creation you can always slight one or more Attributes to improve another, a common tradeoff for any game system. So it's very easy, and even common, to take one Attribute at d4 to bump another one up to d8 from the very start. Add in that you could take 1 Major and 2 Minor Hindrances to add two more Attribute increases and you could start with d12 in an Attribute if you wanted. You can then bump again at each Rank up to Legendary and then every other Advance once you hit Legendary, so in essence after your 1 bump at Novice you can add an Attribute bump every 20 XP. Add in a Race that starts with an Attribute at d6 or d8 and you're looking at plenty of Attribute points, really. Not to mention SWD isn't really an Attribute-heavy game. Sure they have uses for modifying some Derived Traits and a few rolls that are made directly on them, but other than that all they do is potentially reduce the cost of raising skills. The most bang for your buck often occurs in Edges where you can get a bonus to die rolls which have a higher impact on success than just boosting the die type, especially for Wild Cards. You can find plenty of discussions on things like that over on the Pinnacle forums if you want to search for that or start up a discussion about it there. Lots of fantastically knowledgeable folks who can help out with the rules and even general mechanics discussions of SWD.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by zarlor; January 16th, 2018 at 19:26.
    Lenny Zimmermann
    Metairie, LA

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
    The Restriction on one attribute die type increase per rank. Is that restricted to One Attribute total are one per attribute per rank? with there being only 5 ranks I was just wanting a clarification as it would be impossible to raise attributes very high if the first?
    No not really, you create your character (5 attribute points), you take two major hindrances and two minor hindrances (use these for 2 more attribute points).
    After that (until you get to Legendary and the rules changes and I cannot remember the rue off the top of my head), every rank you can increase a stat. So as soon as you get to 5 XP you can get your 8th attribute increase, so even if you started with 5 x d6 you can get to D12 by 5 xp (using the method above).

People forget that in Savage Worlds better stats do not result in better rolls, yes having a D12 in a skill means you can roll 1-12 with a single roll but a d4 will explode 25% of the time, my players will get a number of d4 skills for that very reason, that is even before you consider that there are actually rolling a d6 as well for each skill!
    ---------
    Edit: Hmm my browser did not show Zarlor's post until after I wrote mine, so ignore me and just read the above post :P
    Last edited by Doswelk; January 16th, 2018 at 16:49.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Thread Information