DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    I've added a request to the wishlist for the ability to assign a modifier to the MAX HP field here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/fg2app?ia=115879 Go vote for it if you want it!

This will help for a few instances across different D20 based rulesets - Barbarian rage in 3.5E/Pathfinder springs to mind.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Just reduce the MAX HP by 5 (or whatever damage was done), don't apply any damage to wounds? Remember to keep track of what the original MAX HP was, so you can reset it after a long rest.

Not applying the XX damage directly to wounds, but to MAX HP (if the save is failed) is the equivalent of the pen-n-paper applying damage and reducing max HP - you're XX HP closer to death (equivalent to applying the damage) and your MAX HP are reduced as well. If the save is made, apply the damage to wounds as normal and don't reduce the MAX HP.

Would that work?
    Yes, it looks like that is the way to do it in FG. I'll just have to remember to

1. Roll the saving throw prior to rolling the necrotic damage and
    2. Not dropping the necrotic damage dice on the target if it fails the save, but rather roll it and manually reduce MAX hps instead. If he passes the save you can just drag-drop the damage dice as normal.

Thanks all,

I've added a request to the wishlist for the ability to assign a modifier to the MAX HP field here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/fg2app?ia=115879 Go vote for it if you want it!

This will help for a few instances across different D20 based rulesets - Barbarian rage in 3.5E/Pathfinder springs to mind.
    Thanks, I voted for it.

My party just had a situation like this all tonight! The problem it appears is that you have a max HP (lets say 20) and damage is supposed to subtract from it. You take 5 damage so you are at 15/20 and the health drain drains yours max HP the same amount so it is 15/15. With Fantasy Grounds, damage is calculated by starting at 0 and going up. So it is more at 0 damage/20HP. A small tweak (This actually would be a huge overhaul of the program I imagine) that could help on the User Interface side is instead of having it be damage is adding cumulatively in the "Wnd" section of the Combat Tracker, it is instead subtracting from say "CHP" (Current HP) and that number is typically at your max HP until you take damage. Then it won't run into the effect of "Hey I applied the damage by targeting and now I gotta undo it since they are now just reducing max HP." It would also help players be like "I have so and so HP left" instead of doing some math. Which is fine and usually easy, but it helps speed things up a bit when you can just glance instead of having to think it through.

If it was set up like that where the current HP is counted down, if there was an effect to reduce max HP, it could then be set up where for those kinds of life drain attacks you roll to hit. If there is a hit, have the player roll the save. If there was a success you roll the normal damage. If there was a failure you roll the damage that subtracts from current HP and from max HP.

This is me just spit balling an idea honestly, it would require a huge engine rewrite probably, or at least a rewrite to how damage works.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepaperclipkiller View Post
    My party just had a situation like this all tonight! The problem it appears is that you have a max HP (lets say 20) and damage is supposed to subtract from it. You take 5 damage so you are at 15/20 and the health drain drains yours max HP the same amount so it is 15/15. With Fantasy Grounds, damage is calculated by starting at 0 and going up. So it is more at 0 damage/20HP. A small tweak (This actually would be a huge overhaul of the program I imagine) that could help on the User Interface side is instead of having it be damage is adding cumulatively in the "Wnd" section of the Combat Tracker, it is instead subtracting from say "CHP" (Current HP) and that number is typically at your max HP until you take damage. Then it won't run into the effect of "Hey I applied the damage by targeting and now I gotta undo it since they are now just reducing max HP." It would also help players be like "I have so and so HP left" instead of doing some math. Which is fine and usually easy, but it helps speed things up a bit when you can just glance instead of having to think it through.

If it was set up like that where the current HP is counted down, if there was an effect to reduce max HP, it could then be set up where for those kinds of life drain attacks you roll to hit. If there is a hit, have the player roll the save. If there was a success you roll the normal damage. If there was a failure you roll the damage that subtracts from current HP and from max HP.

This is me just spit balling an idea honestly, it would require a huge engine rewrite probably, or at least a rewrite to how damage works.

Oh this! We REALLY need this!

For the last 35 years I have always kept track of character HP the way FG does it. Am I the only one? I find it much faster to add then subtract, so I just added up wounds and dies when I got to my max HP.

As for the question, FG does not make accommodate for this mechanic so you will need to do multiple steps.
    1. Save First
    2a. If save Roll damage normally
    2b. if fail roll damage with no target, and manually apply to characters max HP and note the characters normal max and set it back on long rest.

Someone suggested using negative temp HP. I haven't played with temp HP, does this actually work?

Voted this one up. I've run into this condition several times while running games. One of these times we eneded up needing to reroll a players HP becuase where we tried to juggle and record the previous max got eaten by an accidental input that overwrote it.

I find it remarkable that this hasn’t been implemented yet. Automating hit point tracking is one of the core functions of FG, and the lack of a function to track temporary modifications to max HP seems like something that should have been fixed a while back.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I'm trying to sort out how life drain would apply in a particular situation. Most examples start off when the character is fully healed. In my situation, a character has 85 HP + 15 from Aid. He's gone in to combat, and over 5 rounds has taken damage and now only has 20 HP left. Along comes a Wraith who critically hits for 53 damage, and the player fails their CON save. What happens?

The player loses their remaining hit points and falls unconscious. Their maximum hit points is reduced from 85 to 32 (85-53)
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information