DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Player Mapping in Fantasy Grounds

One of the key components of old school play was that the players had to map their way through the dungeon, hoping not to get lost in winding passages and cavernous ruins. With the virtual tabletop being what it is, i am wondering how to go about this. The players should be able to all see the map they make, but I do not want to give them the map. I can use discrete battlemaps for any individual room in which a battle occurs or something else makes it important to know exact placement, but I am trying to run this game as close to the "old style" as possible.

Thanks.

You'll be limited to the players drawing on a map - I recommend sharing a basic blank JPG image that is large enough for mapping. The drawing functionality is fairly basic though. Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...mages#Drawings

Plus you can share some basic tokens with the players - walls and a few other things, that they can put on the map.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    When I'm doing a dungeon delve (i.e. Undermountain) my players map on grid paper and I never show them a map/image of the full dungeon or level. If I were a player, I would use a mapping program to do it, but they choose paper.

The tools in FG are too basic in my opinion to use when there are other options.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    I wonder, with a blank jpeg. You apply the grid for scale. Could you use a stylus/tablet drawing combo to make a good hand drawn map in FG? Would the tablet/pen input work?
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    You could use a variation of the method below to create individual rooms each time they enter and they must offline map it themselves.
    Or create maps for each room and share/unshare the room each time and again they map offline...
    They would need some way to share the map amongst themselves... external to FG...

I've never had a situation where all of the players could see the drawings of all of the players. There is always one or more players that can't see someone's drawings. So I avoid using the draw tool.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

I believe the GM has to draw on the image first to allow all players to see all other players' drawings. If you don't, then only the person drawing can see it. That's been my experience anyway.

To aid in this, a future FG improvement could be (in 3 or Unity) to have a setMaskStart#/setMaskEnd# button where it records what you unmask into a table for like 1-N (3 sounds like a good number) “sets” of masking. This way, the GM can “undo” the masking in a jiffy as players advance past masked areas. If it allows more than 2, last/current...then the gm can keep a “record” of masking settings to turn on and off as desired.

Just spitballin’ here.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenan View Post
    I believe the GM has to draw on the image first to allow all players to see all other players' drawings. If you don't, then only the person drawing can see it. That's been my experience anyway.
    AAHHHHH!!!!!!!

After much searching. That's why.....

I wonder if someone could update https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...mages#Drawings with this fact? Would be extremely helpful

Thanks a bunch!
    Join my DCC RPG Road Crew via Fantasy Grounds! info @ https://www.indygaming.com/roadcrew/

"Why do squares have more sides than triangles?"

If it isn’t doing what it says on the wiki that may be a bug.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information