DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Variants? Features for Implementation?

Suggestion: When making custom races in 5e, maybe make variant race traits easier by using the text 'This trait replaces X trait' within the text of a subracial trait to signify that you want one trait(X) to be replaced by the new variant version of the trait.

For a simple example, say you want to make something similar to the Tiefling variants noted in the SCAG. Each subracial trait in the text already says 'This trait replaces the Infernal Legacy trait.' or otherwise, Feral replacing the existing Ability Scores.
    You'd want to be able to just pick that as a variant option in character creation, without any manual removing of existing traits. (or loading it as its own separate race, which is much less fun.)

Also maybe the ability to give the player a prompt to choose traits (in the case of variant half-elves, or not-mutually exclusive variants like "Feral Tieflings" in the SCAG.)

IDK if this is implemented in the official release of the SCAG for purchase, as I've been slowly writing in the information from my copy of the book. :b

Basically, 5e variant options are a bit messy. Is there a way to make them less messy? Is this being worked on?

Blog Entries
    Welcome yoey

I dont know if this is something that is in the plans. I suspect not. There are way too many special rules, exceptions, exceptions to exceptions, variants etc for the code to realistically accommodate everything.
    Maybe Moon Wizard might come along and give you better news... you never know your luck in a seedy, rundown waterfront dive town.

Quote Originally Posted by yoey View Post
    For a simple example, say you want to make something similar to the Tiefling variants noted in the SCAG. Each subracial trait in the text already says 'This trait replaces the Infernal Legacy trait.' or otherwise, Feral replacing the existing Ability Scores.
    You'd want to be able to just pick that as a variant option in character creation, without any manual removing of existing traits. (or loading it as its own separate race, which is much less fun.)

Also maybe the ability to give the player a prompt to choose traits (in the case of variant half-elves, or not-mutually exclusive variants like "Feral Tieflings" in the SCAG.)

IDK if this is implemented in the official release of the SCAG for purchase, as I've been slowly writing in the information from my copy of the book. :b

Basically, 5e variant options are a bit messy. Is there a way to make them less messy? Is this being worked on?
    This is exactly how it works now. If you drag in the Tiefling Variant from Scag into the race section you get a pop up asking you to pick a subrace. Each subrace has the variant ability for that subrace. (They are not strictly subraces but variants of the standard tiefling). So although the text says 'This replaces the Infernal Legacy" the ability actually does replace the Infernal Legacy. Only if you select the Standard variant will you get Infernal Legacy as an ability - so no need for any removal of unwanted traits. So, just to be clear, drag in the Tiefling Variant from SCAG and drop on race and you get a pop up asking which subrace you want. If you select 'Devil's Tongue' then you will get the 'Devil's Tongue' ability and you won't get the Infernal Legacy ability.

The variant half elves work in the same way. Drag in the Half elf variant race and you get a pop up asking which subrace you want. Each variant only gives you the abilities for that variant - again no need to remove unwanted abilities because you don't get them in the first place.

Does this make sense?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Yeah, it makes sense. I just don't really have the SCAG purchased - as I said in my original post. So I was wondering how I'd implement this when writing in from the book copy.

If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information