Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 9 First 1234 ... Last
    Hey Moon, I'm not seeing NPC spell slot populating with any numbers. The slots are there (on NPC sheet and on CT) but all show zero. Am I misunderstanding what is expected behaviour?

EDIT: Ah, wait one. Deleting the spells from the NPC sheet and closing and reopening the NPC populates the numbers correctly
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; January 4th, 2018 at 21:50.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Hey Moon, I'm not seeing NPC spell slot populating with any numbers. The slots are there (on NPC sheet and on CT) but all show zero. Am I misunderstanding what is expected behaviour?

EDIT: Ah, wait one. Deleting the spells from the NPC sheet and closing and reopening the NPC populates the numbers correctly
    Hey Z can you walk me thru this step? I think this might replace my recent extension but I cant see how to make the tracking visible...?

It's very similar to your extension. However, I don't announce the slots used to the chat window at all, similar to how PCs don't announce. The GM can always describe.

To make the slot fields visible, you need to have one or more spell entries in the NPC record (for either NPC window or CT entry).

To pre-populate the slots, this is only done when an NPC is added to the CT (or when non-read-only NPC record is opened). The Spellcasting trait is parsed to automatically add the spells to the spell list, and the slots are calculated at the same time.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    It's very similar to your extension. However, I don't announce the slots used to the chat window at all, similar to how PCs don't announce. The GM can always describe.

To make the slot fields visible, you need to have one or more spell entries in the NPC record (for either NPC window or CT entry).

To pre-populate the slots, this is only done when an NPC is added to the CT (or when non-read-only NPC record is opened). The Spellcasting trait is parsed to automatically add the spells to the spell list, and the slots are calculated at the same time.

Regards,
    JPG
    Hi Moon Wizard it appears its not working with Curse of Strahd monsters/npcs which is why I wasnt seeing it. Works nicely with MM. I havent checked other Adventure modules just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Hey Z can you walk me thru this step? I think this might replace my recent extension but I cant see how to make the tracking visible...?
    You need to unlock the NPC, click on the edit button and then delete all of the spells in the NPC spells section (not from the Spellcasting trait but the actual spells listed at the end of the NPc. Now close the NPC and then open it again. The spells will repopulate, the spell slots will fill up and any spell save DCs will get recalculated as well.

Now Moon is also saying that these slots get filled in when the NPC is placed on the CT as well, but I have to say i’m Not seeing this unless I also do the above procedure before placing on the CT.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I'm returning to this Moon, and I don't think this is working as intended.

1. New Campaign
    2. Open up Volo's Guide to Monsters and select the Abjurer from the campaign NPC list
    3. Open the NPC - spell slots are there but they are all zero'd.
    4. Add NPC to the CT - spell slots show but again all are zero.
    5. Note that NPC is locked, so create a copy of the NPC - spell slots still zero
    6. And finally place the copy of the CT with the same result

So, the only way to populate the spell slots is to delete the spells, close and reopen the NPC. I'm not sure that is what is intended.

As a comparison I also tested with a published adventure; in this case Tomb of annihilation. I selected encounter 03.04.05 since it has lots of spellcasters. Placing this encounter on the CT shows the same situation as above. The slots are there but all of them show zero.

Incidentally the spell save and attack override also appears to not work unless the NPC spells are stripped out and then the NPC is closed and reopened.

As above select the Abjurer from Volo; copy the NPC and edit the spell save DC to 18 and the attack to +10. Place on the CT and note that Ray of Frost still shows attack of +8 and Fireball still shows a save vs of 16. Again stripping the spells forces the recalculation.

It’s exactly what’s intended.

I can’t overwrite spell slots every time the NPC is opened, or you’ll lose all tracking every time sheet is opened. Also, there’s no way to tell once an NPC spellcasting trait is parsed (other than an empty spell list), or whether the user wants to reparse (again empty spell list).

The concept is that when only the Spellcasting trait is defined, then the spells and slots are populated.

So, any modules which have spells already placed on NPCs will need to be updated to add spell slot information.

JPG

On the spell attack/DC, it won’t override specific numbers in the spell text, but will use the spellcasting trait numbers if none defined.

Since the spells were added with an older version of the ruleset which wasn’t able to pull the information from the Spellcasting trait, then the attack and DC numbers were injected into the spell text. With the version that added support for pulling directly from spellcasting trait, the numbers were no longer injected.

Again, this will require the NPC to be updated to spells without the injected numbers to allow the spellcasting trait to be changed in that way.

Regards,
    JPG

Jolly good, thanks for the confirmation.

The easiest way to deal with the problem is to open the modules window, right click on the module and select "revert". The downside is that this will reset any custom information and changes you may have made to that module.

Thread Information