DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Sending Whispers to Players in different D&D languages

Hi Folks,
    I must be missing something with this. I was wondering if there is a way to send a whisper to a player in one of the drop down menu languages (i.e. orc, goblin, giant etc). I can't seem to find a way to do this. Is it my general incompetence or is there no way to do so. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

You can't. It seems kinda pointless?

Blog Entries
    A whisper meant for a particular player would be either understood by them, in which case you could say something along the lines of "In Elven the guard says to you...", whereas if the PC doesn't understand your message would be "The guard says something to you, but you don't understand his words.".
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Right JohnD. I was wondering if there was a way to do it so I didn't need to look at the languages or ask. Not a big deal but I was just a little surprised it didn't work that way. Thanks for the input Andraax and JohnD.

Dax, what exactly were you expecting it to do? You send the guy a whisper, and he gets it. Are you saying you wanted to send the whisper in elvish and let the system decide whether he understands it or not? So, stepping back from meta gaming, what is going on in game? Does the guy physically walk over to him and whisper in his ear? We are just trying to understand your use case here.

Usually, whispers are metagame messages from player-to-player or dm-to-player or vice vsersa conveying information that other players' characters should not know.

Hi Bidmaron,
    Actually it is a party member scouting ahead and overhearing a group of bugbears at a door. He can't see in the room but hears them talking in goblin. It's just a way to keep the rest of the players from knowing what this person hears. Not a big deal - I was just surprised that this couldn't be done. Thanks.

I don't recall anyone ever asking this question before (but I forget what I had for lunch yesterday, so maybe that isn't saying much). An extension could probably do what you are wanting (the chat language was once an extension itself, but it was so popular that it got incorporated into CoreRPG), but I am just not sure how many folks would ever use it. You have a valid use case, though. As others have said, there are workarounds that are easy to do.

Lol - yeah I'm always the one "off the reservation" with these corner cases. No worries as it's not really a big deal. I was just wondering if I was missing something but I guess I'm not! I really appreciate the response and confirmation.

Blog Entries
    Are using voice communication or is this a chat game? If voice, just open up a private room and jump over with the player in question.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

I see nothing unusual about the question. If text can go into chat that is filtered by languages known, whispers should as well. It makes sense. As for why whisper in a language? When you drag a story frame entry to the portrait of a character to send the text to just them, it appears on their end as a whisper. This means that any language-based text that is sent to a player would lose its language: not what is expected.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Thread Information