DICE PACKS BUNDLE

A few noob questions re pathfinder and FG

Hi,

I have just got a group of work colleagues started with running a DnD 5e campaign using my FGU Ultimate license. One of them is a pathfinder fan (1st Edition) and seemed quite interested in maybe buying an FG license to run his Pathfinder campaign with his family during the lockdown. What we were wondering was, what is the benefit of buying, for example, the Pathfinder Core Rulebook over and above the built in SRD modules? From what my friend tells me, there appears to be more data in the SRD accessible on the Paizo SRD site than is in the supplied FG version, is that correct? I notice that there are lots of community modules that also contain this content. Is it just a case of paying for the "official" version over a module crafted by a fan.

Sorry if the questions are garbled.

Bracken
    Last edited by bracken; April 21st, 2020 at 16:28. Reason: spelling

The included SRD pretty much just covers the Core Rulebook & Bestiary 1 - compared to the paid version of those products, they lack all the artwork & tokens but are really pretty good in terms of functionality.
    Myself I bought the FG version of the Pathfinder Core Rules but just use the SRD bestiary 1.
    The paid version includes all the artwork & the 'Reference Manual' - a PDF equivalent which pretty much mirrors the paper rulebook 1 to 1.
    If he wants additional classes & races etc, he will need to either enter all the data himself, use a free community-made module (there are ones that cover most classes, spells, races & feats), or buy the Fantasy grounds version of the sourcebook (I bought Advanced Class Guide & Advanced Race guide & left it at that).
    When you buy an adveture from Fantasy grounds, all monsters in the adventure will be inlcuded, as well as all items & maps etc.
    On the Fantasy grounds youtube channel, there is an extensive runthrough of the Core Rulebook & a couple of other important Pathfinder releases.
    Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Decade View Post
    The included SRD pretty much just covers the Core Rulebook & Bestiary 1 - compared to the paid version of those products, they lack all the artwork & tokens but are really pretty good in terms of functionality.
    Myself I bought the FG version of the Pathfinder Core Rules but just use the SRD bestiary 1.
    The paid version includes all the artwork & the 'Reference Manual' - a PDF equivalent which pretty much mirrors the paper rulebook 1 to 1.
    If he wants additional classes & races etc, he will need to either enter all the data himself, use a free community-made module (there are ones that cover most classes, spells, races & feats), or buy the Fantasy grounds version of the sourcebook (I bought Advanced Class Guide & Advanced Race guide & left it at that).
    When you buy an adveture from Fantasy grounds, all monsters in the adventure will be inlcuded, as well as all items & maps etc.
    On the Fantasy grounds youtube channel, there is an extensive runthrough of the Core Rulebook & a couple of other important Pathfinder releases.
    Hope that helps.
    Not sure about the PF1 SRD modules, but the bought module also contains prepared actions of NPCs, I guess (so, no need of coding their actions and effects/spells)

You're right Kelrugem.
    I bought the official module for Bestiary 2. so quickly comparing contents. The offical module has the spells & spell-like abilities from the 'other' tab all set up under the 'spells' tab.
    Additonally, it's 'other' tab has the rules links for all the special abilities, other abilities, feats & universal monster rules. It also includes the flavour text, a link to the bestiary artwork to share with players and a token for when you add the monster to the battlemap.

Thanks, everyone. That explains enough. Basically, buy the modules if you don't want to enter a lot of the automation stuff yourself seems the single biggest win to me.

There is a lot of different modules on the forums here that cover most of the OGL content. Most of the PF content is out there and I am actively working to get more stuff entered and posted.

The benefit of the store purchased materials is you get all the offical artwork, tokens, all the material in a nice and easy to read reference manual, and you do not have to spend time entering the data yourself as you can drag and drop at your leisure. For adventures, everything is needed to run the adventure is included, set up, and you can just run without having to worry about much.
    Ultimate License Holder

Running:
    Nothing at the moment.

Time Zone: Central Time (GMT -6)

Thread Information