FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by gbink View Post
    Can someone explain the workarounds for 2/3 mice and FG on a Mac? Or link me to where it was discussed?
    Can you be more specific? I've used the trackpad, magicpad, magic mouse, and a logitech mouse on a Mac. I have right click turned on in Settings so I don't have to hit Control to get the right click menu. All have worked with FG. Maybe there is some issue I'm not aware of.

Blog Entries
    I think the question is, what do you do if you do not have a mouse and need to access the right-click menus ...

I have two players using Macs in one of my games and it seems to work OK.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Upstate NY (and not Westchester, I mean dead in the middle)
    In the Mac System Preferences, go to Trackpad, then set it up for the "secondary click" to do the "2 finger tap" which is the same as a right click. Then you just use 2 fingers on the trackpad to click, which brings up the righ-click menus.

Trackpad_and_Do_You_Recommend_FG_to_Mac_Users__-_Page_2.jpg

Blog Entries
    Save yourself some major headaches though and pick up a 3-button USB mouse with a mousewheel. You'll thank me for it.

I'm running FG on the Mac most of the time. However, recently I switched to Virtual Machine to run FG on the mac instead of a Wine. Reason being are 3 things:
    1) Rendering of the Fonts is not great on Retina screens, and dynamic Interface scaling form 50-200% does not work well enough causing my eyes to tire really fast. When run through VM interface is clean and I have no issues.
    2) FG does not work well with gestures either on Magic Mouse or Trackpad, expecting mouse wheel input on several places, and there is no option for using different key/button/gesture.
    3) CTRL does not translates to CMD modifier key, so it breaks my muscle memory all the times because I am forced to use CTRL+C, or CTRL+B instead of CMD+C, or CMD+B. Virtual Machine resolve most of the issues here also.

Doh, never even considered a VM, that might help the hardcore holdouts. Thanks for all the replies and info, folks. Very useful thread for us!
    How to Be a GURPS GM, author
    Game Geekery, Blog (GURPS combat examples, fillable PDF sheets, rules summaries, campaigns and one-shots, intro for beginners)
    Discord, unofficial GURPS hangout and real-time chat

Upstate NY (and not Westchester, I mean dead in the middle)
    Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    Save yourself some major headaches though and pick up a 3-button USB mouse with a mousewheel. You'll thank me for it.
    ^^^^ this is probably your best route for sure. I've messed around with some mac apps that add some additional "functionality" to the trackpad, with limited results. (MagicPrefs) and (MiddleClick). Honestly though, if you're able to wrap your brains around setting these up properly, then you don't really need to ask how to use the right click functionality on a trackpad

The main reason I use the wine implementation is that it seems to use less resources (no data to back this up, just seems lighter weight), plus I got used to the Trackpad while I was developing the themes I've made, since I work in Illustrator on my mac it made saving the resource files easier if I didn't involve the Parallels VM in the workflow. Admittedly, the trackpad basically kills some FG functionality, but I have trained myself to get around it. I think there are definitely some good reasons to use a VM, but again, if you are at the skill level to set one of them up, and keep them running properly, you're already at the skill level that knows how to use right-click on a trackpad. I guess it's all what you're looking for, I personally hate troubleshooting, and eliminating variables is always step one, and a VM is a huge variable (is my router malfunctioning, are my VM's network settings messing up, is the communication from my mac to my VM the problem, is it something going on with Fantasy Grounds?). I use Parallels all day long every day for work, and I can say that it isn't a "set it and forget it" situation... you will have issues.

The relatively new mac installer that Fantasy Grounds offers greatly simplifies everything, it used to be a whole ordeal getting it installed, now it's pretty seamless. The only thing to be aware of is that if you want to run a second instance, you will have to install FG twice, just use a slightly different name for one of them, and don't sign in with your license, use it in demo mode. Also, you will have to note your Internal IP from your Mac network settings, as they do not post to the Wine implementation (you'll need that to connect your second instance locally) Good luck!

Thread Information