DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Problems both updating FG and connecting to games with friends

So long story short, everything on Fantasy grounds has been running perfectly fine for me up until I changed ISP's about a week ago (Spectrum to WOW). Still running all of my original hardware that I had in the spectrum days, same settings (modem, pc, ect), the only variable has been the ISP so I'm thoroughly convinced the problem is somewhere on that end. I even bypassed my home internet and ran it off of the hotspot on my phone and Fantasy grounds worked just fine. Anyhow, back to the question, what could my ISP be doing that is causing Fantasy Grounds to not work? I spent a fair amount of time on the phone with them but without being able to point to a specific issue, there's little chance I can get them to fix it.

Steps I have taken on my end to attempt to resolve the issue

Enabled port forwarding on port 1802 on my internal ip - didn't work
    Bypassed whatever DNS assignment my isp was giving me in favor of google's dns - didn't work
    Finally bypassed my isp all together and ran my internet through my phone's hotspot - this did work but is a temporary fix at best.

I would appreciate any feedback I could get on the matter. Thank you.

Welcome to the forums!

Start with the updating issue as this might indicate bigger issues than the usual port forwarding etc.. What problems do you have updating? Does it update some products, but then fails on others? Or doesn't the update do anything? If it's the latter, then it's more than likely that all communication to the FG server is being blocked - maybe a filter on WOW that blocks non-browser apps accessing website names with "fantasy" in them or something similar...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The error I get when attempting to update is

Getting packages from FG server
    ERROR - GetProducts: Network: time out
    Retrying in 10 seconds
    (message repeats)

my connection outside of anything related to this app seems fine.

As for filter, maybe? I do play Final Fantasy xiv as well, though if the app truncates it to ffxiv I guess it wouldn't trigger such a block. I would hope that in the 1.5 hours I spent on the phone with tech support this would have come up if it were the issue, but I have my doubts, worth investigating.
    Last edited by gizmid; November 22nd, 2017 at 19:05.

As for blocking non-browser apps, they claim not to do that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by gizmid View Post
    Getting packages from FG server
    ERROR - GetProducts: Network: time out
    Retrying in 10 seconds
    (message repeats)
    The FG updates might be getting blocked by your local AV/Security application.

Make sure your network connection is Private/Home and not Public, and also check that any security/AV apps aren't blocking FGUpdaterEngine.exe or FantasyGrounds.exe There's been a few reported incidents like this recently.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

My network settings were already set to private, and I have nothing blocking FGUpdaterEngine.exe or FantasyGrounds.exe rechecked my AV just in case.

Also as mentioned earlier, when I bypassed my isp by connecting to my wireless hotspot, both updating Fantasy Grounds and connecting to my friend's game worked just fine which makes it unlikely that there is a program on my pc that is blocking traffic.
    In addition, I forgot to mention that the same problem effected my partner's (we play in the same game) fantasy grounds as well. The only common factor was the internet (I was hard wired he was connected wirelessly), and when we both connected to the hotspot it went away. I triple checked everything on my modem and it doesn't appear to be doing anything that would block traffic.

If you're 100% sure it's nothing on your local network then you're going to have to try your ISP again. See if they can enable some tracing to see where the block might be.

A quick check to make sure FG can access the network is to ask your partner to connect their FG installation to your FG installation on the local network - start up FG as a GM and load a campaign then ask them to connect using the local IP address - not the alias. See if that works - if it fails, then it will suggest there is something internal on your network causing the block. If it works then it's more than likely the router/modem or the ISP side.

Blog Entries
    Could the ISP be using IPv6 or aggregating IPs cause this type of behavior?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Could the ISP be using IPv6 or aggregating IPs cause this type of behavior?
    That shouldn't effect updates.

Thread Information