DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Question from a newb

Hello everyone!

I have a question for you more experienced role players. As I've looked through the different editions of D&D, I was puzzled by the lack of quantity of races in the player's handbook. Could someone tell me if there is a way to play as a beast type character? What race would he or she fall under? Would it be a combination race like a half-elf or such? Any feedback would be much appreciated!

**My thoughts come from playing Breath of Fire 3 a lot on the PS1**

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the forums

Playing as a beast or creature type character is very possible, depending totally upon what is acceptable to your DM. You won't find these types of races in the various PHB editions, because the PHB just lays out the "core" races that are typically acceptable to every setting. Various expansion books like campaign settings, Volo's Guide, etc will have more of these other playable races.

Different editions handle these types of playable races in different ways. Some have Effective Character Levels, others have Experience Point penalties or racial levels. Over the years I've played all sorts of things, currently one of the characters I'm playing is a minotaur ranger.

But, in the end, you have to talk to your DM to find out what races they allow in their campaign.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks for that insight! That didn't cross my mind to look into those sources as well. I will look into that.

Thread Information