DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

5E Ruleset with non-5E purchased campaign?

Hello there, I just dove into Fantasy Grounds last night and I'm super excited to get rolling! Thank you in advance for your help, and I apologize in advance if this should be in a different forum. Just learning the ropes here!

I purchased the Pathfinder "Rise of the Runelords" module last night, and I'm wondering if there's any way to run the campaign under the 5E ruleset. My crew has been doing this campaign pen-and-paper for a while, and we converted to 5E when it came out. We want to continue the campaign on FG, but still keep everything 5E. Is there a way to do that in FG?

I'm not expecting to get the campaign converted for me or anything -- I honestly just need the characters to have 5E builds, and I can probably do the rest manually.

Thanks!

See the discussion here for the issues and gotchas: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...other-rulesets

Use this extension: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...nsion&p=363887 Be aware of the issues/gotchas in the above thread!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

You will have to do it manually.
    Apart from Story entries which might well be compatible - nothing else is since they are completely different rulesets. Damned recently created an extension which allows for modules designed for one ruleset to be opened in another. Most of the stuff won't work in 5e but you can do a bit of conversion
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

You'll get more than just story entries. You'll get the reference manual, maps and images, etc.. The things you'll have to convert would be NPCs, Spells and Items - and anything PF specific in the text (skill check, for example).

Here's a couple of things from Burnt Offerings opened in the 5E ruleset using the above mentioned extension:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Since I'm completely new to this... Should I do the conversion first, then create the player characters within the campaign? Or does it not matter?

Quote Originally Posted by vocaldc View Post
    Since I'm completely new to this... Should I do the conversion first, then create the player characters within the campaign? Or does it not matter?
    One thing you might want to do is do the conversions in a separate development/conversion campaign to the one you'll use to actually play (where the characters are, etc.). Then export the converted info from that development campaign into a module and load that module into your playing campaign.

Then create the PCs in your playing campaign, open up the RotRL module and the other library modules you want to use, then open up your exported conversion module as well.

Using modules helps to give you control over the info you have available, and is more efficient as you can easily close unwanted modules. This is especially important in a long running campaign - too much info in your base campaign database (i.e not in a module) can cause the system to slow down and may eventually lead to memory issues.

Oof, this all looks very intimidating! Is it as hard as it looks?
    DMing for 30+ years

Quote Originally Posted by vocaldc View Post
    Oof, this all looks very intimidating! Is it as hard as it looks?
    Nope. But, just like any piece of software, you need to learn a bit about how to use it. In the end, a lot of this is about campaign data management - if you do lots of conversions in advance then add them into a development campaign and export into a module - it's literally pressing a couple of buttons to export as a module. Then use that module just like any other.

If you do conversions on the fly, then just enter them in your playing campaign as needed.

It's really not hard, don't be intimidated. Take a bit of time to learn the software - watch the videos, read the user guide, play around with it...
    Last edited by Trenloe; November 15th, 2017 at 20:56.

Cool. Thank you so much!
    DMing for 30+ years

So, um, I downloaded the extension and... I don't know what to do with it. Where do I put the file? How do I run it? I am lost and feel like a fool.
    DMing for 30+ years

Thread Information