DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 23 First 123412 ... Last
    I think Minty is talking about auto-generating the list of potential filters, having a way to dynamically add/remove filters, and allowing each filter to specify which field it is filtering on. It's an interesting idea, but there's a lot of detail to flesh out.
    The hard part of that is handling custom filter fields (i.e. search by spellcasting class in Pathfinder, when multiple classes embedded in Source field); deciding whether a filter should be a dropdown or a free text filter; and building the UI to support addition/removal of filters dynamically.
    It's quite a task, but Minty seems to like those.

Cheers,
    JPG

@Minty I was just exporting a mod and noticed this.

I am using Pathfinder ruleset, with the ext off it goes away.

Sample.jpg

Madman..
    "Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind."...MJK... Tool frontman

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    Difficult to follow what you are proposing, Minty. Drop downs are what people will expect and since they are not taking up real estate unless dropped, I am not sure what the real estate concern is.
    Sorry to be so nebulous about it. Sometimes I don't explain myself well. A picture might help. Here is a quick mock up in Paint so please keep that in mind, it's bound to have inconsistencies.

In the mockup there are three panels. The one to the far left shows the NPC library editor (one of those not yet finished). The NPC editor has some 25 fields in it. If I had 25 comboboxes, the dialog would not fit on screen, I'd have to have some way for the user to drop ones he/she isn't interested in or I'd have to add a scroll bar. All 25 of those fields would need their own custom filter options hardcoded into the extension.

What I think my next step should be is to provide "smart" filters that the user can set up. As in the middle panel, there would be the ubiquitous iEdit/iAdd buttons (oops I forgot the iDelete to complete the trio! ). The user would select the field or fields he/she wanted to filter in the combobox and then choose options (the little blue state buttons), like use combobox choices, or use text input boxes, split apart csv lists like tools and skills, alphabetizing CR "numbers", stuff like that. Programming would prepopulate the combobox with available fields and preset the options based on a prescan of the field values. (e.g. a csv list would be easy to recognize, so would dice, like 3d10, and CRs, if the field is Boolean, a combobox is the obvious choice.) In the picture the user is going to set up two filters. The third panel shows what it might look like after the user has finished setting up their custom filters, five of them.

FFAL_0.1.0B.png

The real advantage here as I see it is support in the other rulesets. I know nothing of 3.5E and 4E, as well as PathFinder. Those rulesets based on the CoreRPG could possibly be automatically supported with little to no additionaly effort on my part.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    @Minty I was just exporting a mod and noticed this.

I am using Pathfinder ruleset, with the ext off it goes away.
    That's pretty uncool! I just tested it in 5E, the ruleset I'm used to. It does the same thing. I'll get to working on it. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I think Minty is talking about auto-generating the list of potential filters...
    Precisely. Moon Wizard is much more eloquent that I.
    ... having a way to dynamically add/remove filters...
    A little less so... User input required.
    ... and allowing each filter to specify which field it is filtering on...
    Again, spot on.
    ... It's an interesting idea, but there's a lot of detail to flesh out...
    Thank you kindly, sir.

...It's quite a task, but Minty seems to like those.
    I haven't a clue where that's coming from!

Minty, maybe you could have a drop-box and let the user drag the fields he wants to search/filter on into the drop box. That would lessen the chore somewhat?

This has me excited, especially for NPC filtering based on fields like description or resistances.

Blog Entries
    Just released version v0.1.1 which I believe takes care of the "double vision" as reported by madman in post 12 of this thread.
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBayard View Post
    This has me excited, especially for NPC filtering based on fields like description or resistances.
    I'll work on NPCs today or tomorrow. I'll be sure to include those fields since you've mentioned them. I won't be able to include all NPC fields because of space considerations as mentioned in post #13 of this thread. Once I get that methodology going, you'll be able to pick and choose. Thanks for the feedback.

Why not use the drag and drop approach, Minty? You could have the more common fields and a place to drag less common fieldss

Thread Information