STAR TREK 2d20
Page 12 of 23 First ... 2101112131422 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Did you make sure you weren't running into process size limits?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Yes. I could get it to freeze up and crash within 5 minutes of load if I just kept messing with items specifically, closing the window, reopening, doing it again after I opened another window like spells.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paladiusdarkhelm View Post
    I could get it to freeze up and crash within 5 minutes of load if....
    Okay. Interesting. I’ve run FFAL for hours doing module conversions (.pdf to .mod) without incident.
    I don’t doubt that you’re having difficulties I just find it odd. Just last night my DM ran the session for three hours with FFAL, LDTE, DWSI and a couple other extensions loaded without issue. It’s true though that he probably wasn’t using FFAL to any great extent.
    What other extensions AND modules do you have loaded? What version of FG are you using? Do you have other programs running? Are you using Windows 10? What “freezes up”? The PC, i.e. Windows (all programs)? Fantasy Grounds locks up? Of just FFAL? Does a FG console window pop up with some error information?

Blog Entries
    Please believe me that I am not trying to be flip when I say this: I cannot fix what is not broken and it’s not broken until I can break it. I have to see what breaks it to fix it.

If you’re not a software developer, consider this example: say you have a problem with your car, that it stops running when you have the radio on, the windshield wipers running and you make a left turn (when using the left turn signal). You could take you car to the mechanic and he might never find the problem unless you tell him that you had the radio on, the wipers on and then you clicked on the left signal indicator and the car died.

I too will need the exact steps that you did to get the crash so that I can reproduce the failure on my end. Then I can track down my bug.

Oh yeah, no problem, Minty. I meant to check with the 0.3.3 version to see it it has a problem. If not and I go back to the 0.3.4 debug version and it does, I'll try and get to all that probably tomorrow.

I use Win 10 on a surface book 2 laptop. I run the latest FG, checking for updates weekly. I keep my modules and extensions updated and check for those updates weekly. It is FG that locks up and ultimately crashes. I was using that debug version of this extension. I use a lot of other extensions at the same time, have a lot of other modules opened, have PDFs open on another monitor, run discord for chat and to pipe sounds through discord to my players, using voicemeeter banana, VB Audio cables, and Syrinscape (also running), and I have chrome running; I use all this all the time.

I started noticing a stability problem about a couple of months back. I uninstalled FFAL recently, because I noticed it seemed linked to me opening up windows like "Items" that sort and resort. Since removing the extension, the FG App has been stable when clicking into items, spells, and the like multiple times during game sessions or prep (when it is just me in there). My games are on Friday and Saturday nights. Sunday, I'll try and test with the 03.3. version with my usual load. I'll then retest with the 0.3.4 debug version on Page 11 the same way. I'll keep task manager running on my other monitor to monitor memory. I can also dump out my activated extension and module load lists and see if I can grab the error or whatever it is that flashes across the console a second before the App crashes out as well.

Thanks, Minty.

Blog Entries
    @paladiusdarkhelm
    You can bring up a console by issuing the command /console in FG’s chat.
    The downside is, if any of the extensions write to the console, depending on the volume of information written, it may severely impact the performance of FG. I know FFAL v3.3.4 can write a lot to the console so I wouldn’t use that version unless v3.3.3 is not causing you issues and we need to troubleshoot 3.3.4.
    Personally I’d wait until everything is up and running then bring up the console in an attempt to catch the culprit in the act.
    I believe that should FG crash and completely close down, unfortunately the console will close down also. If FG just closes down to the splash screen (where you choose between load campaign, new campaign, manage characters, etc.) I think the console stays up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paladiusdarkhelm View Post
    It is FG that locks up and ultimately crashes.
    This one statement really caught my eye.

There have been times, during development, where I inadvertently introduced an infinite loop when writing to the console. The behavior exhibited by FG was exactly as you mention, FG stalls, becomes unresponsive, as copious volumes of data it written to the console, eventually a system error occurs, and FG crashes.

If that’s the case, v3.3.4 could exhibit the problem, while v3.3.3 might not.

Great info, Minty. Thank you! I'll keep my eyes peeled for this if I'm able to troubleshoot more tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Also pull up Task Manager and sort by process size. Watch the size of the fg process and see what that number is when you finish loading everything and then as you use FFAL and then as FG locks up and then crashes.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I completed some testing yesterday. Minty, how would you prefer I get you the details? You have a lot of my other details in that past post I made regarding system and other apps running. I have a word doc a write up of what I did in each of 3 scenarios - w/FFAL v0.3.3, w/FFAL v0.3.4 Debug, and without FFAL. I tried to stay as consistent as I could between running through each one. I have a text file of the console for each. I have my list of extensions running. I can go get my file that shows what modules are open in my campaign if needed as well. Not sure if I should/can attach it to posts here, send by PM, or other. Just let me know what works best.

Here are the summary results of my testing:

//Running FFAL v0.3.4 Debug: Summary end result - Memory got to over 3,500 MB in Task manager before FG hung up and I had to right-click its App icon and close it.

//Running FFAL v0.3.3: Summary end result - Memory got to over 3,500 MB in Task manager before FG hung up and I had to right-click its App icon and close it. This one went a little further than v0.3.4 Debug

//Running no FFAL: Summary end result – I could get memory up to 3,500 MB, but it would either recover itself or otherwise didn’t get FG to hang up using the same sort of steps or even going a bit more afterward. I then continued on it making some updates to my campaign and doing some prep for next weekend. Memory eventually ticked its way back down after about 30 minutes of use.

Thread Information