Page 1 of 13 12311 ... Last
    Blog Entries

Field Filters for All Libraries

February 5, 2019: Announcing an update of the Field Filters for All Libraries Extension (FFAL).
    In this release: Finally All Fields of All Libraries, some enhancements and Case Sensitivity mode.
    (See posts 92 & 93 of this thread for details.)

This is a major rewrite of all internal table based data, there may be issues, but I have done my best to ensure there are none. If you observe a problem please let me know and I'll get to it as quickly as possible.

There are a few field filters available for some of the libraries. For the 5E ruleset the Spell Library has three and the NPCs Library has a couple. I believe the CoreRPG has one or two. This extension will provide field filters for all libraries.

The current version of the extension is v0.3.3, released on Feb 5, 2019.
    It has been tested with Fantasy Grounds v3.3.7 on Feb 5, 2019.

Installation instructions for extensions and modules can be found here.

The following posts to this thread contain additional information that might be of interest:
    #2 - What does it do - An abbreviated manual of sorts.
    #3 - Versioning information.
    #4 - Known issues. Work under construction. Acknowledged enhancements. And what ever else.

If you have problems, issues, comments or requests please let me know.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; February 5th, 2019 at 23:18. Reason: new release v0.3.3
    Current Projects:
    5E Druid Wild Shapes Implementor (Extension)
    Local Dice Tower (Extension)
    Community Contributions:
    Catalog of Forum Threads Related to PDF conversion to FG Module
    Field Filters for All Libraries (Extension)
    "A Neophyte Tackles the FG Extension" - A tutorial blog series.

Blog Entries

What the Field Filters for All Libraries Does

This post was to act as a manual of sorts, but that seems a little unnecessary.
    (If you're in a quandary as to how to use the extension please let me know and I'll recant that statement!)

Instead I'll use this space to point out interesting features of the extension:

Search an Adventure Module or Manual
    In the past I've seen a few posts on the forums complaining of the inability to search for a word or phrase in a module. For example, looking for an NPC in the Story sections in the Princes of the Apocalypse module. Now you can do it.

Here is a screenshot showing FFAL being used to search the Story Library:
    FFAL_0.1.0A.png

I typed "avariel" into the Text field filter and the two pages that contain that word are displayed in the story records above. True you'll have to read a couple pages of text to find the exact sentence the word is in, but you no longer have to skim entire chapters!

The NPC library dialog
    NPC's have a lot of fields associated with them. So many in fact that I had to combine "like" fields in order to keep the dialog small enough to fit on the screen. See post #26 for details.

The predecessor, how to make a more consistent module
    While I was working on the Mystic Class Implementor Extension and Module I found a need to be able to quickly look at the contents of a particular field in the Spell Library, say the Range field. I wanted to do this so that my descriptions in the Mystic's Disciplines were consistent with the descriptions in the Spells Library. I ended up creating the Spell Library All Fields Search Filters extension. After using SLAFS, now retired, it became readily apparent to me how useful an All Libraries extension might be.

While working on v0.1.2, the usefulness of FFAL as a tool to make descriptions in modules more consistent and therefore the module itself better came full circle. While hammering out the filters for the NPC library I found many, many inconsistencies in field values in the module Princes of the Apocalypse. I plan to report those inconsistencies to Smiteworks for the betterment of PotA. Some are simply minutia, a comma here, a semi-colon, there. Others are more apparent: like using CE instead of Chaotic Evil (or visa versa) in the Alignment field for different NPCs. If you're a module designer I hope you'll find this extension of some use.
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; November 12th, 2017 at 20:01. Reason: content added

Blog Entries

Versioning Information

Feb 05, 2019 - v0.3.3 - Enhancements, Case Sensitivity, All Fields
    Feb 17, 2018 - v0.3.2 - Equality Operators and Logical Operators in Advanced Mode.
    Feb 06, 2018 - v0.3.1 - Quick fix for FG v3.3.4 compatibility.
    Feb 03, 2018 - v0.3.0 - Interform resize and Advanced Mode.
    Dec 11, 2017 - v0.2.1 - scrollable list when more than five field filters
    Nov 16, 2017 - v0.2.0 - specific support added for CoreRPG, 3.5E and PathFinder & bug fix
    Nov 12, 2017 - v0.1.2 - support for NPCs and Notes library dialogs
    Nov 07, 2017 - v0.1.1 - fixes issue as reported in post #12 of the thread
    Nov 05, 2017 - v0.1.0 - Initial release (high version number because this extension is a major revision of SLAFS).
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; February 5th, 2019 at 23:20. Reason: version 0.3.3

Blog Entries

Problems, Fixes and Enhancements

Jul 20, 2019
    Bug: NPCs library crashes when using Volo's. See posts #103-#107 of this thread.
    July 27. Posted debug version for "crowd sourced" verification of the bug fix (see post #109).

Feb 5, 2019

1) Supported Feb 5, 2019
    There are three library dialogs left: Classes, Races and Tables.
    Not any more! Just Tables and it will not be supported unless requested.

2) Supported Feb 5, 2019
    While working on v0.1.2 I noticed there are some fields in the Items library that aren't supported. They were semi-hidden from me. Some only show up when the Type of item is Weapon or Armor.

3) Supported Feb 5, 2019
    Also while working on v0.1.2 it occurred to me that I should strip commas out of coin values (e.g. 1,225 gp) so that those values sort properly in the combo box. Apostrophes (as in it's) also seem problematic, they need investigation and stripping, possibly.

4) Maybe add regular expressions (lua patterns) as filter criteria.

5) Supported Feb 5, 2019
    Some text fields allow links and tables in the body of the text. I'd like to add the ability to include one additional depth of layer searching when applying the filters. I'm close with this one but it's been tabled for a while. When I get around to Classes and Races, I'm sure I'll have to address it then. There are lot's of links in the textual descriptions in those libraries.
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; July 28th, 2019 at 00:22. Reason: release of v0.3.3

This is amazing. I just tried using FG a few days ago believing the functionality was native to the program and was surprised it wasn't. Thank you so much!

The reason why I didn't add all fields for filtering was because I originally had some issues with adding every field for filtering. Specifically, performance issues (with lots of module data loaded, i.e. 5K+ records of each type) and UI issues (filters took up more room than list, and forced window to be larger than I wanted). So, I picked the most likely fields that people would be searching on for each record type. Some of those performance issues may be less than they were originally, since the campaign lists have matured a bit. It sounds like Minty is working through the UI issues and finding solutions. It will be great to see what he comes up with.

Regards,
    JPG

Hopefully, this will be a candidate to incorporate in a future update without the extension, but nice work nevertheless!

Blog Entries
    This morning while I was adding support for filtering fields in Tables, it dawned on me that I am doing this all brut force instead of allowing software to do the work for me (and the user). I need to implement "Smart Filters". When I brut force it, I create a new item, in this case a new Table, then go and look at the db.xml file and create filters for each of the fields. I decide whether to use combobox or text-search-box based on the type and contents of the field. If there are links and the like I have to decide whether or not to create filters for the "sub contents".

All this info is available to the software. With Smart Filters, the user could put the form into edit mode and create their own filters, they'd choose a field to filter, and some parameters (combo vs text), maybe specialized sorts routines, etc.

A user is only going to filter one, maybe two, but at the outside three fields at any one time. This methodology relieves me of the real estate issue (trying to fit a large number of filters on the form) and trying to determine which fields to ignore when setting up "All" of the hardcoded custom filters. It might also help with cross ruleset compatibility.

Difficult to follow what you are proposing, Minty. Drop downs are what people will expect and since they are not taking up real estate unless dropped, I am not sure what the real estate concern is.

Love to see this for Pathfinder, maybe someone with more skills than me could take this up?

Thread Information