DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

Adding content to an existing module...

So I will soon have a group entering a large city that I have spent some time entering rudimentary information into FG. This city is large, so these additions will have to go on after I /export what I have before game time to use as a module.

Is there a way to add content to this module when it is already in use? Is there a way to do so and have in game alterations not impacted? For example, map notes placed via pins visible to the players, a mask slightly revealed, etc...?

Is an ongoing development approach going to be an issue? To date, I've not released a module into play until "it's done", but this is a bit of a different situation.

Thanks.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

If you don't make changes to the module in your playing campaign, re-export into your module from your master campiagn, and re-open in playing campaign. If new info isn't there reset the module.

Also you could make a module for each section of the city so you can continue working on that section without affecting playing campaign.

Blog Entries
    Yeah you will need to keep working your changes into your main module and re-exporting.
    So long as the map name and size doesnt change the mask in the campaign should hopefully be persistent.
    Masks dont export either.

Blog Entries
    I've had this same issue with my Undermountain campaign. What I've learned is the following:

When I re-export my module (from my development campaign), all new content will show up in my play campaign that has the module loaded (no need to revert changes).

Edits I've made in the play campaign remain. This means that specific entries (say I modified a story entry) will remain the modified version and will not get any updates from the updated module. No way to "merge" the versions of a specific data object.

If you revert the whole module, you will loose any edits you made to those data objects, but any new objects you created in the campaign remain. i.e. rather than edit a story entry you think you might update in your dev campaign, create a second entry and add a link to the first one.

The problem I see from what you want to do is map pins. If you modify the campaign map in dev and in play (sharing pins, adding new ones, etc) then you won't be able to revert changes on the campaign map without loosing the shared pins, but if you don't, you won;t see new pins you add. At least I think that's how it will work. Haven't done that myself since I don;t share a master map with the players.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Hmm OK I figured there would be a few "gotchas".
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, it might be possible to copy a section of code from the moduledb/<module>.xml file prior to reverting changes and paste it back in afterward. This could replace shared pins or whatever. Experiment some.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Blog Entries
    I am making a category of story entries called "Player Pins" - I create a short note on the fly or post game and put that on the map and share it.

I could export PCs from the main campaign and import them into my city campaign wip module when they are in the city, not doing an /export until I have the whole thing done, which will likely be never.

- John Diefenbaker

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I've had this same issue with my Undermountain campaign. What I've learned is the following:

When I re-export my module (from my development campaign), all new content will show up in my play campaign that has the module loaded (no need to revert changes).

Edits I've made in the play campaign remain. This means that specific entries (say I modified a story entry) will remain the modified version and will not get any updates from the updated module. No way to "merge" the versions of a specific data object.

If you revert the whole module, you will loose any edits you made to those data objects, but any new objects you created in the campaign remain. i.e. rather than edit a story entry you think you might update in your dev campaign, create a second entry and add a link to the first one.

The problem I see from what you want to do is map pins. If you modify the campaign map in dev and in play (sharing pins, adding new ones, etc) then you won't be able to revert changes on the campaign map without loosing the shared pins, but if you don't, you won;t see new pins you add. At least I think that's how it will work. Haven't done that myself since I don;t share a master map with the players.
    OK so I'm going to bump this topic as I'm a bit closer to actually doing this and my addled brain just needs a refresher.

So... I have a main city map that I've been placing pins on. I will not change the actual mb size of the map file/picture or the name of it (learned my lesson there already... lose all your placed pins... replacing 50+ yikes...).

If I leave the map file alone, I can /export and merge into an existing mod file but I'll need to make sure I'm assigning the same name to the mod file that it already has (right?). Additions will be available in my game in addition to any changes I have made to the content on the fly in game.

If I add player pins to the map, those will exist unless I do a revert on the module. Rather than doing a revert, if I'm ever presented with a situation where I think it might be necessary, make a new Story entry with updated information and add links as necessary to whatever is being essentially errata-ed.

I could get around this issue by having two versions of my city map - one DM version and one player version which could just be the same map. I could update the player map as needed in play while the only things I'd change on my DM version would be adding new pins to locations as they get made, or updating to reflect things that happen in play. In this case, player pins could go on the Player version, and I wouldn't have to worry about it getting messed up when I merge in new content through an /export.

Am I missing anything?

- John Diefenbaker

Blog Entries
    I guess one question comes to mind; how do I merge new content into the existing module? Is it as simple as doing another /export and not changing any of the file name etc... information?

- John Diefenbaker

If you export a module with the same name, it will overwrite the old one with the local campaign data (no module data at all).

So, if you are re-exporting a module from the campaign you used to create the module, then you would just make the changes, and re-export to the same module name.

Just to clarify, you can’t export module information from within, only the current campaign information.

Regards,
    JPG

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information