FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 3 of 19 First 1234513 ... Last

Blog Entries
    Monsters & Treasure 4th Printing

I just committed the first Release Candidate to SVN and it will get pushed to the TEST channel... sometime.

I asked for feedback for the Players Handbook but never got any, so this time I'm forcing the issue. Consider this an Early Access version. It's incomplete. It's perfectly usable, but I don't have all the reference tables done yet, it still has the classic black & white tokens, and the Magic Item list is straight out of the previous edition, with the exception of the Bag of Holding. I created all four versions of the Bag of Holding, but since I will be creating an all-new list, I didn't bother adding all four to this one, I just changed it to the Type I version and left it alone. But this release will at least let you see kinda where I'm going with it.

Items and NPCs are (mostly) unchanged in their descriptions. They will be updated with subsequent releases til we're all happy with it. Monsters that have multiple versions, I will probably create each version, such as each age category for each dragon type, and get the correct stats for each age, and so forth. I have a couple rollable tables in this release, nothing major, but I will be creating more as I go along.

NOTE: Unlike the Players Handbook, this time I did change a fair amount of the data nodes for items and NPCs. This shouldn't be an issue since when we drag items to characters, a copy of the item is created on the sheet. NPC-wise, I think JPG went through the A-series and deleted direct links to M&T last year? At least that's my foggy memory of what happened... If NPCs break something then we'll fix the offending adventures, how's that?

Feedback Requested:
    • Reference Tables. I did Table 1 which you can see in the Treasure chapter of the reference manual. Do you want to see reference (ie. text-only) versions of those tables, or drop them entirely and just make rollable tables?
    • Dragons: make each age/type like I mentioned above? Or leave them as-is for the GM to make for her campaigns?
    • Any other suggestions! Other than the reference manual, I haven't gotten into the items/monsters yet too much. I have some ideas, but getting feedback and requests from actual users is way more valuable.

Blog Entries
    Hi Talyn Im sorry Im not actually running/playing any CnC at this time so any feedback I give you will be superficial.
    The Rollable Tables are the most useful.
    I do like seeing the tables in the reference manual but ultimately the more important part is the rollable version.
    Do the dragons as per the manual - dont create additional work for yourself.

Blog Entries
    Rollable tables that actually give you something you can use as a CK would be "big". Output to a treasure parcel with individualized magic items, jewelry, gems, etc... would/will be great.

Dragons I would agree with damned on.

Color tokens would be a nice improvement IMO.

I am interested on how you will address things like potions - the table lists a lot of them but TLG themselves only outlined I think a small handful in the printed M&T. If I were doing it I'd simply state the potion acts as the corresponding spell and maybe pop in a link to the spell from the PHB, but... I don't probably have the same constraints as you may be working under.

Regardless, improvements are hugely appreciated.

Keep going, maybe the C&C base ruleset could get to the point where more than $10 could be reasonably charged for it.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Blog Entries
    Potions -- examples would be awesome, right now the only thing I added to items is the Bag of Holding stuff which you saw on Discord. As for references to spells, what I did in the PHB was any time I saw the text say "behaves like such and such spell" I replaced that with the actual text from [such and such spell] because that's fine (well, not really) in a book but why should I send people clicking all over the damn place when I could just have the info they're looking for right there in the first place? I plan on doing the same thing here, just haven't gotten to it yet.

Color tokens will be coming, I just haven't found a good "token ring" that I like, and the official token ring PSD from SmiteWorks is literally the only thing I've ever seen that won't work in GIMP.

The updates are in the Test channel now.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Moon Wizard was kind enough to send me a list of every single reference to Monsters & Treasure in the entire line of DLC so we can quickly fix anything I break.

One thing I'm going to do is eliminate different sized tokens. So, for example, the Arrowhawk has a small, medium, and large version of the NPC. There are also small, medium and large tokens. I'm going to just make one single token for all of them and let the GM handle any scaling she wants to. All new tokens will be the size of the current large tokens 200x200 or possibly 256x256 I'll see what I've done in the past and what Zacc does for 5E for comparisons.

Blog Entries
    Monsters & Treasure

Just sent a new patch, and JPG pushed it to the TEST channel already.

• First two color tokens, seen in Discord today, for the Assassin Vine and Bugbear.
    • New rollable table for Potion of Giant Strength
    • All variants of the Potion of Giant Strength have been created as items, and the Combat Tracker effect syntax in their descriptions.
    • All categories of magic items (potions, scrolls, wands, rods, staves, rings, etc.) except for the WEAPONS category now appear in the sorting filters.
    • All scrolls were previously listed as potions. Fixed.
    • All potions and scrolls now contain the full descriptive text to use them, rather than a generic "see [spell]" except Trap the Soul which now contains a link to the spell.

Blog Entries
    Players Handbook

Patch sent to TEST.

• The illusionist spell persistent image has been misspelled "persistant image" since the 5th Printing DLC. Fixed.

Blog Entries
    Monsters & Treasure

Patch heading to TEST...

• New descriptive format for monsters. I'm going in alphabetical order, and I've only just begun so not many are updated yet. But this lets you see the new vs. the old.
    • First batch of full-size images linked to the NPC descriptions. The "unidentified" title will be left blank so that if the GM is using that option, players won't see the actual monster name. This is a reference module, however, so images are required to be set read-only. (Note: I forgot to set monster images to 'unidentified' in this release. It's already fixed on my end for next release.)
    • Collapsible Index window in the Library now, so the GM can view monsters sorted by Alpha, by Hit Die, and by Type. As stated above, I've just started the process, so these lists are largely empty with this release. Again, this is on TEST specifically so you all can see where I'm going with these updates and ::wink wink:: provide some useful feedback ::nudge nudge:: for me.
    • JohnD requested descriptive text in chat frames for the monsters, like the Pathfinder bestiaries do. I did this for the aboleth. I'll be honest, the thought of manually going through each monster and taking the TLG text and rearranging it on my own for these frames is not overly appealing. If anyone has already done this, posting your examples would be a great example of the useful feedback I'm looking for...
    Last edited by Talyn; November 30th, 2017 at 18:39.

Blog Entries
    Monsters & Treasure

New WIP patch to TEST:

• Complete monsters A thru E — except Dragon. Haven't touched dragons yet.
    • I felt there was enough data in the overall Elf NPC description (which is also in the reference manual) to create Elf, Drow as its own NPC. Feedback on that, please! Also feedback if you'd like the other sub-races built or not (assuming the source text has enough npc info to do so).

I'd also like feedback on how I'm doing the descriptive text layout. Remember how I said I took an approach to use the TLG text but a layout similar to what you'd see in 5E and Pathfinder? (I chose to lean more towards Pathfinder since they're both 3E-derivative games, but specifically because neither ruleset has all the NPC sheet scripting for their abilities that 5E does.)
    Last edited by Talyn; December 7th, 2017 at 22:55.

Thread Information