5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last

Cohorts and Companions

NOTE: this extension supports D&D 2E, 3.5, 4E, Pathfinder 1, Pathfinder 2, and Old School Essentials (OSE).

This is an extension that allows NPCs to be assigned to a PC character sheet, granting that player control of the NPC in the combat tracker and on a map. This eliminates the need for the GM to turn on "party vision" in the settings, preserving the individual player map discovery and line-of-sight. NPC's can also be assigned ownership of NPCs via a new tab on the NPC sheet (it's NPCs all the way down!) and this chain of ownership will allow a player to control the NPCs that their NPC owns.

The extension is currently on github: https://github.com/MostTornBrain/CohortsAndCompanions
    The extension is also available for free on the Forge: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/518/view
    NOTE: the version on github is sometimes one revision ahead of the Forge version.

Current features:
    • Support for 2E, 3.5/PFRPG, PFRPG2, 4E, and OSE rulesets
    • Drag and Drop NPC to the "Cohorts and Companions" section on the PC's character sheet on "Notes" tab to assign ownership of an NPC
    • NPC sheet has an extra tab called "Cohorts" to allow NPCs to own other NPCs and the controlling PC inherits the chain of ownership.
    • Any NPC assigned to a PC sheet will be controllable by the player that owns the PC
    • NPCs assigned to be PC become unique instances
    • When dragged onto the combat tracker, the NPC will be cross-linked back to the unique NPC sheet and key attributes will be sync'd between the two (similar to how a PC functions)
    • Player-controlled NPC tokens will display reach on hover, just like a PC token
    • Support for ringing bell for appropriate player notification on NPC turn in the combat tracker

I'm fairly new FG (just started tinkering with it in December) so I likely overlooked some things or didn't do things in the most ideal manner. Feel free to give any feedback on what could have been done better or what doesn't work right.

This extension is based on a subset of functionality of the D&D 5E extension called Friend Zone, by MeAndUnique. I did get the ok from MeAndUnique to make a spin-off extension. The main differences from the 5E extension are:
    1. Support for rulesets other than 5E
    2. instead of adding a new tab to the PC character sheet for assigning cohorts and companions, this extension adds a subsection to the Notes tab.
    3. all the functionality of having NPCs inherit bonuses to certain skills and/or abilities from the PC was removed as trying to implement unique variations on this for several rulesets is beyond the scope of the intent of this extension.

I do not plan to add 5E support to this extension as the Friend Zone extension provides significantly more features specific to the 5E ruleset. If you are looking for 5E support, Friend Zone is the extension to use.

Thanks,
    Brian
    Last edited by Trenloe; Yesterday at 21:38. Reason: Reflect features of current version of the extension

Quote Originally Posted by MostTornBrain View Post
    This is an extension that allows NPCs to be assigned to a PC character sheet, granting that player control of the NPC in the combat tracker and on a map. This eliminates the need for the GM to turn on "party vision" in the settings, preserving the individual player map discovery and line-of-sight. NPC's can also be assigned ownership of NPCs via a new tab on the NPC sheet (it's NPCs all the way down!) and this chain of ownership will allow a player to control the NPCs that their NPC owns.

This is based on a subset of functionality of the D&D 5E extension called Friend Zone, by MeAndUnique. I did get the ok from MeAndUnique to make a spin-off extension. The main differences from the 5E extension are:
    1. instead of adding a new tab to the PC character sheet for assigning cohorts and companions, this extension adds a subsection to the Notes tab.
    2. all the functionality of having NPCs inherit bonuses to certain skills and/or abilities from the PC was removed as this did not seem to have a direct equivalent in the Pathfinder rules. (Yes, animal companions do get some adjustments based on the PC's level in Pathfinder, but this extension does not currently handle that.)

The extension is currently on github: https://github.com/MostTornBrain/CohortsAndCompanions

I'm fairly new FG (just started tinkering with it in December) so I likely overlooked some things or didn't do things in the most ideal manner. Feel free to give any feedback on what could have been done better or what doesn't work right.

Thanks,
    Brian
    Nice work

Thanks for this! I have messed with your extension to try and get 4E compatibility. Changed to ActorManager4E. Adding the NPC to character sheet and moving NPC around on map are working. So far three errors I will try to pin down.

on campaign load>
    [ERROR] windowcontrol: Database type mismatch on path (hp) in control (hp) in class (npc_combat_creature)
    [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "campaign/scripts/npc_main.lua"]:32: attempt to index global 'hp' (a nil value)

on Damage Roll>
    [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "ct/scripts/ct_entry.lua"]:27: attempt to index global 'hp' (a nil value)

Quote Originally Posted by kevininrussia View Post
    Thanks for this! I have messed with your extension to try and get 4E compatibility. Changed to ActorManager4E. Adding the NPC to character sheet and moving NPC around on map are working. So far three errors I will try to pin down.

on campaign load>
    [ERROR] windowcontrol: Database type mismatch on path (hp) in control (hp) in class (npc_combat_creature)
    [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "campaign/scripts/npc_main.lua"]:32: attempt to index global 'hp' (a nil value)

on Damage Roll>
    [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "ct/scripts/ct_entry.lua"]:27: attempt to index global 'hp' (a nil value)
    Ah, I went through something similar porting the original extension from 5E to Pathfinder. If you are familiar with extracting/viewing the lua code for your ruleset (in this case 4e) there should be an equivalent script that does the linking of some of the NPC values on the combat tracker to the NPC character sheet. Each ruleset seems to use slightly different names or formats for some of the items. Actually, now that I think about it, you might have better luck with the original 5E extension - I'm not familiar with 4E and 5E and how much they've diverged.

If you aren't familiar with what I described above, I'll take a look at it. Likely either later today or tomorrow night.

Cheers,
    Brian

Ah, I went through something similar porting the original extension from 5E to Pathfinder. If you are familiar with extracting/viewing the lua code for your ruleset (in this case 4e) there should be an equivalent script that does the linking of some of the NPC values on the combat tracker to the NPC character sheet. Each ruleset seems to use slightly different names or formats for some of the items. Actually, now that I think about it, you might have better luck with the original 5E extension - I'm not familiar with 4E and 5E and how much they've diverged.

If you aren't familiar with what I described above, I'll take a look at it. Likely either later today or tomorrow night.

Cheers,
    Brian
    Sorry, as I stepped away from the computer, I realized I may have misremembered. The original rulesets don't link the NPC data between the CT and the NPC sheet - that's new functionality from the extension. But, looking at the original ruleset code for how it pulls in both PC and NPC values into the CT and links the PC data can be used as a helpful reference for finding out the proper names of the variables.

Cheers,
    Brian

Sorry, as I stepped away from the computer, I realized I may have misremembered. The original rulesets don't link the NPC data between the CT and the NPC sheet - that's new functionality from the extension. But, looking at the original ruleset code for how it pulls in both PC and NPC values into the CT and links the PC data can be used as a helpful reference for finding out the proper names of the variables.

Cheers,
    Brian
    Thanks for the info. I was able to stop the previous errors. I am still getting an error on damage rolls by the PC from their controlled NPC.

[ERROR] Handler error: [string "scripts/manager_action_damage.lua"]:1393: attempt to concatenate local 'nDamage' (a nil value)

Attempting to resolve that now :-)

Thanks for the info. I was able to stop the previous errors. I am still getting an error on damage rolls by the PC from their controlled NPC.

[ERROR] Handler error: [string "scripts/manager_action_damage.lua"]:1393: attempt to concatenate local 'nDamage' (a nil value)

I've taken a look to try to duplicate the error on damage rolls, but the 4E ruleset for NPCs is something with which I am unfamiliar. I don't own any 4E content, so when creating an empty 4E campaign I don't have any example NPCs to test. I'm somewhat embarrassed to say, I'm stumped at how to actually add attack info to a 4E NPC sheet creating an NPC from scratch trying to test this. The NPC format for 4E seems very different from a Pathfinder NPC statblock.

If you are still stuck on this, do you have a simple NPC you could share? Just the XML snippet of the NPC definition should be enough to get me started, as I should be able to then insert the XML into my campaign.

Cheers,
    Brian

I sent you an email with what is hopefully a working 4E version of the extension. Check your spam box in case it was flagged given it had a zip file attachment. :-)

Cheers,
    Brian

I sent you an email with what is hopefully a working 4E version of the extension. Check your spam box in case it was flagged given it had a zip file attachment. :-)

Cheers,
    Brian
    The version you send seems to be working great! I will do more testing in our next game as a few of the players have pets.

Thank you!

The version you send seems to be working great! I will do more testing in our next game as a few of the players have pets.

Thank you!
    Since the differences between supporting Pathfinder 1e and D&D 4E are so minor for this extension, I'll see if I can make a single extension that supports both rulesets. Eventually, I'll put it on the Forge for easier updates if/when more changes need to be made in the future. Of course, I'll also keep the github version in sync.

Cheers,
    Brian

Thread Information