Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Exporting an Adventure

Pre-Script: I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, or if this has been asked and answered a million times before so apologies if either of those cases is true.

So, I've bought an FG adventure: Princes of the Apocalypse. Looks great. I've loaded it into FG and it seems amazing. So now I want to prepare that adventure. What's that? I have to log into my home PC to do this? I can't export the module into a PDF to read at my leisure? That seems... harsh.

I know there are all sorts of Copyright implications, but really. Do I need to buy this module in FG and also in Hardback to prepare it away from FG??

Is there anything in the pipeline to get around this? An iPad app which lets me install Stories from an FG adventure? Some sort of export to PDF option? Anything at all?

Yes, I know I could sit down and copy and paste every section from the module into a Word document and then save as PDF - which I might have to do - but surely something automated would be a good idea?

Cheers
    Blakey

No there isn't a way to export an FG module into anything else. As you have noted copyright issues prevent such things. In any case if you are preparing the adventure you'll want to do it in FG anyway.

As for the future who knows what might be on the horizon.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

When you say “prepare” unless that is synonomous with “read” there is nothing useful you can do outside FG that cannot be done better and likely faster inside FG.
    While your expectations are not unreasonable, when you consider the copyright violations virtually guaranteed with some kind of PDF export, it really is not reasonable and nowhere should you have been led to think this was possible with FG.
    Concerns over copyright were why they developed encryption for purchases modules, and an export would bypass that feature. This would mean many (most?) publishers would not want their material in FG. Remember that WotC doesn’t even put their materials for 5e on RPGNOW and so on.
    Sorry, but your desire here just isn’t realistic for a VTT.

Thanks and understood. And yes, to clarify I really just mean "read" - but wanting to do it in digital format.

I'm currently running LMoP and I have it on PDF and FG. Absolutely perfect as I can read it (PDF) on my iPad in the sitting room or in bed to do prep and then use FG when it's game time. I'd just love to have that available for all modules. I guess I get why I can't.

If you switch to Pathfinder you can get what you want because when you order Pathfinder FG module you get the corresponding PDF for free. Just sayin’....

Blog Entries
    As far as I'm aware, there is no legal options to acquiring a PDF version of D&D modules unless they are released directly by Wizards of the Coast within Dragon+ magazine. This is a business decision by the publisher.

Other than Paizo, no other publishers have chosen to include the PDF with the FG version of the product either. In the case of Paizo, we don't distribute the PDF, but we instead allow you to link your account between our two sites so you can get the PDF directly from them with all the required security watermarks.

For more and more of our products, we have been attempting to improve the readability of the modules within Fantasy Grounds so that you can enjoyably read through it prior to play. Check within the Library for the Reference Manual link on products you own. For the products that support that (most D&D modules, Pathfinder modules and several 3rd party modules), it greatly enhances the experience IMO.

Go Pathfinder.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    Go Pathfinder.....
    What he said...

There is text in the module that I BOUGHT and I can't even copy and paste it to dump it in the window for my players to read. Encrypting the XML is a little draconian!

Blog Entries
    Wizards of the Coast does not sell PDFs of the 5E modules. For 2E modules that we also have available, they *do* sell those PDFs over on DMsGuild.com. Our license with Wizards of the Coast does not allow us to sell or produce PDFs. If you want to share content with your players that are connected to your game, you can right-click on the window and choose Share. The players will see a copy of this within Fantasy Grounds while they are still connected to you. You can close the window and they can save it to a hotkey bar to open up at their leisure.

Thread Information