DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Thread: Fading Suns?

Fading Suns?

Anyone ever work up a ruleset for Fading Suns (the Victory Point system, not the d20)?

--Prof.Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by ProfDogg View Post
    Anyone ever work up a ruleset for Fading Suns (the Victory Point system, not the d20)?

--Prof.Dogg
    I bought the FS Game Master Guide a few weeks ago, just need to read it and have a good look, I waiting for a few years and finally saw it in the UK. If it's easy to build the ruleset I might just do that...
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadBeardMan View Post
    I bought the FS Game Master Guide a few weeks ago, just need to read it and have a good look, I waiting for a few years and finally saw it in the UK. If it's easy to build the ruleset I might just do that...
    Says he with eleven projects already on his plate!

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Says he with eleven projects already on his plate!
    Haha nope, finished 3 of them in two days....Back to Traveller again, some CoC (all done, needs testing basically with a few tweeks), and one other Adventure and that's it for now, and of course, updating N.E.W.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Quote Originally Posted by MadBeardMan View Post
    Haha nope, finished 3 of them in two days....Back to Traveller again, some CoC (all done, needs testing basically with a few tweeks), and one other Adventure and that's it for now, and of course, updating N.E.W.
    It's essentially a "roll under" on a d20 system. Add stat to skill, add mods, roll under. There's just so MUCH material for it, an official set would take a while.

-- Prof.Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    can you explain the mechanic in some more detail and provide a few examples?
    Certainly...

Traits (characteristics and skills) are measured 1-10 typically (some potential for higher). For skill success, add relevant characteristic to skill and that is your Goal Number. Add mods to the Goal as appropriate (positive is good, negative is bad; you want a high Goal Number for success). Roll 1d20.

Compare your roll to not only the Goal Number (again, roll under for success) but also this chart:

Victory Point Chart
    1 = 0 VP (but still likely a success)
    2–3 = 1 VP
    4–5 = 2 VP
    6–7 = 3 VP
    8–9 = 4 VP
    10–11 = 5 VP
    12–13 = 6 VP
    14–15 = 7 VP
    16–17 = 8 VP
    18–19 = 9 VP
    20 — Fail (possible Critical Failure)

So the closer you come to critical failure (but still succeed), the better the "crit" you get.

Bob has Dex 7 and Slug Guns 6. His goal without mods is 13. He rolls exactly a 13 and the result is a success with 6 VP. 6 VP with a gun translates into +6 damage to the base weapon damage (wounds).

Weapons and Armor are a d6 dice pool kind of similar to Conan 2d20's mechanics. On a 1d6, 1-4 = a Wound (or in the case of Armor, a Wound prevented or absorbed).

There's of course some more complexity but I don't think it'd be too technical to build in. The biggest dilemma with any potential "official" ruleset (if permission would be granted by the publisher) would be the massive volume of material for the game.

--Prof.Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by ProfDogg View Post
    There's of course some more complexity but I don't think it'd be too technical to build in. The biggest dilemma with any potential "official" ruleset (if permission would be granted by the publisher) would be the massive volume of material for the game.
    --Prof.Dogg
    The ruleset wouldn't be too much of a problem I don't think, it's quite simple compared to one I just did... however as you say, it's easy to add this as a community ruleset unless permission by the publisher is granted and then there's all the data from the published books (let alone the text conversion), this is what all the fun is about with FG though from a dev's point of view...

Cheers

Hello, I want to start mastering Fading Suns on FG, I would like to know, should I create an extension or a new ruleset, knowing that I would like to bring in character sheets, game mechanics for dice throws, background images etc.. Another point, are there any examples to follow since most of the skills do not always work with the same characteristics: piloting a ship can be done with the skill piloting + intelligence or dexterity depending on the action to perform.
    I'm on Fantasy Ground Unity.

i'm trying another way atm, i'm working on MoreCore, i think it will be an easier way to do it.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Amesephis; April 22nd, 2020 at 16:36.

Thread Information