DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Thread: Tablet Question

Tablet Question

Ok I've been saving my pennies for a tablet and I've narrowed it down to 2. (prices are Canadian $ from tigerdirect.ca)

Wacom Graphire 6x8 Bluetooth Tablet, Pen and Mouse
    "Graphire Bluetooth gives you the control you need to quickly and easily edit your digital photos."
    $269.99

6x8" Completely Wireless $270 + $40 bluetooth usb adapter =$310

Adesso Cybertablet 12000 USB 12"x9" with Pen & Mouse
    "Ergonomically designed tablet with a wireless scroll mouse for easy drawing, handwriting, sketching, coloring and picture editing."
    $182.99

12x9", Battery in mouse & pen, 512 levels of pressure sensitivity.

Anyone have any experience with either of these? Is the extra size of the Adesso overkill or a great feature????

I'm Curious about the feature mix for the bluetooth 6X8". This a comparison of features from Wacom:

........................Intuos3 6x8..........Graphire Bluetooth
    Levels of pressure
    sensitivity...............1024.................... ...512
    Active area..............6x8 - 48 sq. in.........6x8 - 48 sq. in.
    ExpressKeys.............8......................... ..2
    Touch Strips............2............................Non e
    ToolID.....................Yes.................... ....No
    QuickPoint................No...................... ...No
    Accessories..............Yes...................... ..No
    Mouse.....................5-Button.................3-Button
    Pen.........................Grip Pen..................Standard Pen
    Pen tilt support..........Yes........................No
    Work on screen..........No........................No

I have no idea how important some of these features are? Can any of you Wacom users enlighten me? I'd appreciate if anyone thinks the bluetooth is missing something Huge. How important is pen tilt for example????

Sigurd
    Last edited by Sigurd; February 26th, 2006 at 19:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd
    Ok I've been saving my pennies for a tablet and I've narrowed it down to 2. (prices are Canadian $ from tigerdirect.ca)

Wacom Graphire 6x8 Bluetooth Tablet, Pen and Mouse
    "Graphire Bluetooth gives you the control you need to quickly and easily edit your digital photos."
    $269.99

6x8" Completely Wireless $270 + $40 bluetooth usb adapter =$310
    I use a Wacom and it is the ubiquitous standard which is, I understand, for a reason. It's one of those you-can't-go-wrong-if-you-go-with-them things.

As for the bluteooth, I can not say. What I will say is I love my bluetooth keyboard but, I chucked my bluetooth mouse and forked out some cash for an RF mouse. The sensitivity and smoothness just wasn't there. I have found that with two different "high-end" bluetooth mouses. (plural?) I am unsure how this translates to the tablet. I would search around on some graphic design sites for reviews. If those cats like it, you'll be just fine for FG!
    Announcing Longbeard Mountain. A place for gamers (particularly those using Fantasy Grounds) to discuss their games, share ideas, chronicle adventures and campaigns, and more.

[email protected]

I have a 6x8 Wacom, not wireless, but since the cord ONLY comes from the tablet, not the pen or the mouse (neither which require batteries either...cannot figure out how it knows when I push a button!)
    From the reivews I read when I was looking to purchase a tablet, Adesso tablets are crap, but I have never had one. My Wacom, I would buy again, simple to use, works everytime, and installed like a charm. Maybe a little more expensive, but then again, there is a reason they are in the industry standard.
    • snikle •
    . .lapsus calumni. .

What are some of the features about?

Pen.........................Grip Pen..................Standard Pen
    Pen tilt support..........Yes........................No

What are the different types of pen and "pen tilt" about?

if you are a serious artist or phot-retoucher get the intuos with the higher pressure sensitivity. You'll get better results.
    The grip pens feel much nicer if you are going to use these for extended times.
    The mouse I pretty much toss in a drawer.
    The accessories are nice, but my 1st tablets never had them, so I still rarely do.
    Size of the tablet is a matter of drawing style, I have the smallest Intuos and have no trouble because I make short anal strokes.. if you are more of a fine artsy type the larger one may be better.
    I will always go with Wacom, they feel and work better in my opinion.
    Tilt refers to how you hold the pen, It doesn't matter that much.
    Last thing, they come with 6-7 foot cables, don't go wireless unless you want to walk around while you work, otherwise that is just additional cost.
    -Devin

Wacom 4x5"

I finally sprung for the smallest graphire in white.

It was on sale and I don't think it would take up too much room on my desk. I wanted to go with the Adesso but I could find _no_ Linux support for the thing and that was a factor.

Also I just liked the idea of a robust little platform about the size of a mousepad that didn't need batteries. $108 Canadian - if I really like it I can upgrade without begrudging myself that. Its half the price of what I was considering.

Anyway I'll let you know how it works out.

Thread Information