STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Bardic Inspiration

My group is experiencing an issue with bardic inspiration that I am hoping someone has found a solution to. Is there a way to roll the bardic inspiration after your roll, but before Fantasy Grounds determines the resolution of the attack, saving throw, etc.? The group is concerned that bardic inspiration is a little over powered since we can see if we succeed prior to making a decision if we want to use our bardic inspiration. Also, we are trying to find a solution that isn’t too much extra work for the DM. We could always roll a d20 (or appropriate die) and then roll our d6 manually in the game, but that would make the DM have to manually enter the results each time and we’re trying to streamline combat as best as possible.

If anyone has found a solution to this problem an explanation would be much appreciated.

The only real solution is for the GM to turn off roll results from being displayed. However, if you do that, then the GM has to communicate all results (attack, damage, etc.). So, you have to sacrifice a little bit of the automation, in order to provide the "interrupt" option for effects such as bardic inspiration.

I don't mind the extra benefit that bardic inspiration provides in the automated scenario, since it speed up play, which is more important to me personally.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    When we were worried about it being overpowered we simple would have the player state before they made the roll when they would use it. For instance, they would say "If I roll a natural 10-13 I will use my inspiration." You can also come to an agreement that bardic inspiration is always used under x & y conditions (same type of statement as above).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

A bit late to the thread, but on action related rolls like combat or skill checks I prefer to switch to the Manual Entry option for dice rolling. You can still roll the die in Fantasy Grounds separately, roll the Bardic Inspiration if you want, then enter the result in the Manual Dice Entry box. It is a bit of an interruption to play, but is infrequent enough to not be so bad, better than trying to forecast everything up front. There is still the problem for saves if you have them coded in the spell or effect and they auto-roll.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    When we were worried about it being overpowered we simple would have the player state before they made the roll when they would use it. For instance, they would say "If I roll a natural 10-13 I will use my inspiration." You can also come to an agreement that bardic inspiration is always used under x & y conditions (same type of statement as above).
    I like that "If I roll X-Y I'll use the inspiration." It is a small difference, but it does a good job of helping people plan ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Opie View Post
    A bit late to the thread,
    Welcome to the forums and FG Community Johnny!

Thanks Paul. I read the forums quite a bit for advice. Time to stop lurking and start contributing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Opie View Post
    Thanks Paul. I read the forums quite a bit for advice. Time to stop lurking and start contributing.
    Ooh! You know Nylanfs secret identity!!!

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    Well it is in my sig.
    Yea, you aren't very good at keeping secrets are you?

Thread Information