5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

New Player questions

I am interested in starting to play using fantasy grounds. What exactly do I need to play? just the fantasy ground software? There seems to be a lot of different types of games to play on it. Are those like expansions or do you have to have like say the DnD pack or something. Looking for someone to point me in the right direction to start playing, thanks

my other question is do you get to keep and use your same character for other different games, like build him up?

Welcome to the community! Do you have a preference for the rule system you want to use? Let me suggest Pathfinder. It derives from the D&D 3.5 ruleset, which was the best edition ever, in my opinion. Now, truth be told, I know nothing about 5e, as WotC made me so mad with the 4e abortion, I swore off supporting any future D&D edition.

If you are looking for a ruleset still in its infancy without a whole lot of options (compared to 3/3.5/Pathfinder), then 5e might be for you. I cannot speak too knowingly about it though, but there is a lot of official material for sale.

If you are looking for a rich ruleset with lots of character and monster options, then PF is your game. its automation level is nearly as high as 5e (hard to add all the automation due to the number of options in PF), and there is a lot of official material available here too with lots more under production.

To get started, I'd go with the SRD that is free and included until you make up your mind. Next weekend there is a virtual convention (see the FG Con thread), and it is the ideal time to sign up for a game and see how it works with minimal investment. Many have pre-generated characters so you don't even have to generate characters (which can be daunting for a new player).

As to what you do with your character, that is up to your GM, but generally you would stay in the campaign and advance your character. Alternately, there is the PF Society, where you can move from scenario to scenario with the same character and different GMs.

cool thanks, Pathfinder sounds like what Id be interested in. When I make a character can I keep using the same character in different games and keep leveling him up?

I edited the above to answer that question.

perfect thanks how do I join the PF society

Quote Originally Posted by Zealflux View Post
    perfect thanks how do I join the PF society
    https://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety

Just to expand on the OP's question and Full Bleeds answer:

One way of thinking about Fantasy Grounds (FG) is like that of a gaming console (X-Box, Play Station) - FG can be used to play a number of different Role-Playing Games (RPGs) by "plugging in" a different RPG Ruleset (think Game CD/Cartridge). Full Bleed has recommended the Pathfinder RPG Ruleset (Game CD) and its a good one. Other RPG Rulesets available include D&D 3.5 Ed, D&D 4th Ed, D&D 5th Ed, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu (6 & 7 Ed), Castles & Crusades, and a whole bunch more. Some Rulesets come with FG, some are paid for extras, and some are free Community Developed.

With FG and your chosen Ruleset you can game with others. The Ruleset provides the "working engine" of the RPG; extra stuff like pre-made adventures, world gazetteers, etc are available or you can make your own. These are the FG Modules, and if you have any Tabletop RPG experience at all then these are the same as the Reference Books, etc, for the given RPG (Ruleset). You don't need these extras as you can enter all of the relevant information in manually, but that are nice to have as they are all pre-done for you. You only really need these if you are going to be the GM (there are a couple of exceptions).

Finally, there are FG Extensions. These are "plugins" to the FG-Engine and/or individual Rulesets that extend and enhance the system. An example of one of these is my own DOE: Weather Extension, which provides a complete RPG-neutral Weather Generation System; or my DOE: Sound, which integrates FG with Syrinscape and other sound apps to play from within FG.

OK, a lot of info and a lot to take in. As Full Bleed suggested it might be a good idea to join in on the FG Con happening online this weekend (15-Oct, etc). You'll get to try out FG, try out some games, have a great time and gain some knowledge about VTTs in general and FG in particular.

Something extra: If you haven't done so already, let me encourage you to take a look at some of the great Tutorial Videos available on the Fantasy Grounds Wiki (and on YouTube). Damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the foundation of just about all the RPGs we play with Fantasy Grounds - so by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you'll need to know to play any RPG with Fantasy Grounds. Once you've gone through the CoreRPG Videos you can then go on to Videos about your chosen RPG.

When you get familiar with the basic Fantasy Grounds product the next step is to check out some of the Extensions (Plug-Ins) for FG mentioned above, such as the DOE: Sound, DOE: Locations, DOE: Weather and DOE: Organisations Extensions (to name a but a few - and a Shameless™ Self Plug).

And keep on asking questions - we're a pretty friendly lot here, and we love answering questions.

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    ...and Full Bleeds answer:
    For the record, it wasn't exactly my suggestion... I just slipped in the link to Paizo's Pathfinder Society after Bidmaron suggested it. I did, however, agree that it might be fairly compatible with the OP's interest in a persistent character that can be moved from table to table. Probably not *exactly* what the OP had in mind (they, currently, have a pretty tenuous grasp of what a table-top RPG and VTT is at this point)... but maybe the closest approximation.

Of course - sorry Bidmaron, I got mixed up with who said what - that's what we get when we get old and doddery - and focus too much on getting Rulesets and Extensions "out the door"
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Thread Information