5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Racial ability score increases

Using Philip Greig's excellent guide to creating races in FG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYdl0sUYbUw I am back to trying to get some information into FG after giving up on this particular race with Par5e.

The issue I am having is with ability score increases.

I can get it to accept and open the dialog box when I give the player two choices to increase using the following syntax: "Two different ability scores of your choice increase by 1." But try as I might I can't come up with a syntax to allow the player to increase one ability score of their choice or three or four. It would appear that the engine will only accept the word two (most likely because that is what variant humans use) and wasn't coded to be more flexible.

Am I doing something wrong?

Imathil
    Pig Dead. Soldier On.
    Ultimate License
    D&D 5E

Yes, this is correct. The only race which gives a choice is the human variant and that is the only wording that will pop up the choice box. All of the other races are ability score increases of x to one ability and y to another. The only other variation is that you can have an ability score decrease by n.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Okay - thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully something that will get added in the future.

Imathil
    Pig Dead. Soldier On.
    Ultimate License
    D&D 5E

I want the same thing as you do. I suppose it's a lot of code to write, but I wish there was some flexibility allowed in that wording.

Blog Entries
    Hey FG support,

Just wanted a sanity check to see if the answer given to the question herein, remains the same? Am wondering if I can get the dialogue box to open with text like
    One other ability score of your choice increases by 1.

Quote Originally Posted by skj310 View Post
    Hey FG support,

Just wanted a sanity check to see if the answer given to the question herein, remains the same? Am wondering if I can get the dialogue box to open with text like
    No, there isn't. The work around is to create 'faux' subraces which only have a single feature which increases an ability score by one. See the Changling in Unearthed Arcana (if you have that module) for an example.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Kalashtar are another race that you copy syntax from- "your [Ability] score increases by n, and either your [Ability] or your [Ability] increases by n."

New code has been added to v3.3.9 (currently in Test) which should pick up some more of these variations.

Following this thread - I'm running 5E Adventures in Middle Earth. I've loaded in the all the important info for character building - but now trying to sort it all out with the auto-adjustment macros.

The Dunedain specifically are "You increase Constitution and Wisdom by 1" "You can also increase one other ability score of your choice by 1"

So I can duplicate the app function for the first part.
    The second part seems to still be absent from the programming - or I do not know the correct dialogue to macro it correctly.

Can anyone confirm, deny, assist?

The other option would be make variants: "Strength Dunedain" "Constitution Dunedain" etc.

Try this “Your constitution score increases by 1 and your Wisdom score increases by 1 and one other ability score of your choice increases by 1”

I have a feeling it won’t work, but that’s the format it would take if it does work.

Thread Information