DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 37 of 49 First ... 27353637383947 ... Last
    I'm sure there are. I think working the bugs out of the current NEW rules would be more beneficial, instead of getting the data into OLD and having it rough to play.
    WOIN is a system that just needs some love to get it over the hump. There is a steady stream of content coming out with the EONS patreon. It just needs a solid online play implementation to get it some momentum.
    I tried to play a campaign with friends, but there are just so many quality of life things the other paid for rulesets have us used to that my group dropped it and unfortunately went back to Savage Worlds. I don't like the system as much, but the Fantasy Grounds implementation is top notch.
    Just adding my personal perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzledNoob View Post
    I'm sure there are. I think working the bugs out of the current NEW rules would be more beneficial, instead of getting the data into OLD and having it rough to play.
    WOIN is a system that just needs some love to get it over the hump. There is a steady stream of content coming out with the EONS patreon. It just needs a solid online play implementation to get it some momentum.
    I tried to play a campaign with friends, but there are just so many quality of life things the other paid for rulesets have us used to that my group dropped it and unfortunately went back to Savage Worlds. I don't like the system as much, but the Fantasy Grounds implementation is top notch.
    Just adding my personal perspective.
    Hi GrizzledNoob,

I no longer play using WOIN and so I'm not involved enough to know what needs what doing. This is why I've tried to pass it onto another dev or get someone to 'project manage' it. WOIN is very complicated compared to a number of systems but a lot of it can be automated, the issue is the time required. I'm ok to fix bugs and add a bit of dev here and there, but I honestly need someone to direct what is important. I'm working through a Google Doc from Hunter, though a lot of comments on it need discussion.

I'll get the Actions Update finished and we can see what's next. Book content is easy to convert, it's the automation that requires the time.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

I think there's a real chicken-and-egg situation for smaller RPGs on VTTs, especially on FG.

I love the comprehensive, customisable and detailed nature of OLD, but in order to run it online it needs the basic quality of life automation. I know it is unreasonable to expect it to have the level of support of 5e or Pathfinder, but when people try it, then discover it doesn't really provide what they are used to, it's natural to go back to the more supported systems.

It's what I've done myself.

I enjoy D&D, but it generates a particular look-and-feel which doesn't suit every story one might want to tell. Games like OLD can support different look-and-feel, but they won't get a look in on VTTs without support, and they won't get support without demand and without sales, and if there are few sales there's no resources to support getting the automation going more fully.

Not dissing anyone's work, I appreciate what a massive effort it must be to get even a full featured character sheet and dice roller for any system which uses dice in a slightly different way. I'd love to see more love for minority systems but it's such a tiny fraction of the audience it's no wonder most of them never really get off the ground. It's amazing that community devs have done as much as they have.

We are lucky that FG has one non-D&D-derived system properly, massively, awesomely automated with huge support and lots of stuff on the marketplace: Savage Worlds. It doesn't handle stuff in as interesting a way as OLD in my opinion but at least it is a toolkit to build a fantasy game that isn't built on the D&D core ideas of classes and levels and huge power curve.

I'd love to see WOIN fully implemented with lots of automation support but there may just not be the critical mass of interest and dev effort to get it up to where it needs to be to attract people who use FG because of the automation for D&D or SWADE to get going on other systems. I want to see a full RQ Glorantha/RQ II system too, and many more, but I don't think they're going to happen unless the VTT market grows by another factor of ten.

Cheers, Hywel

That's some very good points.

What I honestly want is for someone to project manage WOIN, or offer to take it over. I did propose a plan for Hunter to do that, giving help and things. But seems RL (especially this year) has not gone to plan.

I'm sat waiting for test results for one of my kids atm, so could be I'm stuck in this house for another 14 days.

Though I love to work with people on these things, got a good team of community on Traveller, so I can give WOIN some love and time, just need someone to take the reigns.

I'd also love to do this full time. It's never likely to happen with the systems which I want to be involved in because they're not big sellers (are any compared to DnD/PFRPG?), and sadly the house needs paying for still!

Cheers,
    MBM
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Quote Originally Posted by MadBeardMan View Post
    Hi GrizzledNoob,

I'll get the Actions Update finished and we can see what's next. Book content is easy to convert, it's the automation that requires the time.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Hi MBM. I understand the issues causing this ruleset to stay on the backburner, but it has seemed like for months you have some updates that are right on the verge of releasing. Is there any chance we can get those updates in the next week or so? Then I can determine if the updates help enough to get us using the ruleset for our next campaign. If not, then I wasted 20 bucks. I've certainly lost more money than that on trying to play games with friends, so no hard feelings if it doesn't go any further. Thanks.

I guess it has already been asked before: Any way the community can help getting the system up-to-speed? I am currently hacking my way through some extensions to get rudimentary item quality levels in there, but I think this is something that should be part of the core ruleset eventually.

Hi All,

If someone can take up Hunters position, ie 'manage' what's required and can work with me (via email) then we can proceed. There's an update to come but as I don't play any WOIN I can't say it's the way people want the ruleset to go.

Plus if there's a need for OLD then I could look at finishing that up.

PM me if anyone is interested in project managing, it doesn't take much time, just an understanding of what the community wants and realistic timescales.

Cheers,
    MBM

Hi All,

Loofou has been in touch, and so today after working on Species/Races for the last week you see that v1.2.0 iscoming soon. I've pushed an update with the following changes.

• Species/Races. Data Record sheet split into individual fields rather than one 'edit box'. To populate the Exploits, drag them into the correct field, these are: Those that the Species always have, and those that are optional. Note the optional is for future development.
    • Assets Button. Only on FGU, but the NEW theme now has a themed button
    • Target Number (Client). The font colour and text alignment match those of the Host (black and centered)
    • Full and Maximise Images. The bug when you made an image maximum (and then couldn't make a full image, or reduce) has been fixed
    • Hexes bleeding into Maximised Images. The hexes (top and bottom left) now stay behind any maximised image.

There are more tweaks here and there.

Note: If you have custom Races/Species please note you'll have to edit them and put the data in the right places. Make a note of them now BEFORE this update.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Last edited by MadBeardMan; December 6th, 2020 at 21:25. Reason: Edited what this update will bring

That is some awesome news. Thank you for the update. Looking forward to it!

Well, I certainly hope I can be of help to organize the workload a bit.

The current idea is to clean up and improve the database entries in general (as MadBeardMan mentioned, the Species screen already got a facelift) and eventually get to a more automated character creation. We still have some ways to go, but updates should come more frequently now (of course depending on my and MBMs availability).

If you have any ideas and feedback on the new improvements, please let us know here.

Thread Information