DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

2 questions to help a newbie GM get started

Hey guys. I'm working hard on getting ready to run some adventures for the first time. My plan is to start out running some some purchased adventures while I develop some of my own home brew stuff. I have two questions before I get started and I'm hoping you can help me.

1. Assuming I use Discord for chat, what is the best way to introduce music and sound effects into my campaign? I recently participated in an AL game as a player and I was really impressed with the DM's use of music and sound. I've heard people mention Syrinscape, but I'm curious what you guys think is the easiest to use and integrate with both FG and Discord. If you could point me towards some documentation on how to integrate it that would be helpful too.

2. What do you guys think is the best tool to use for map creation? I am not artistically inclined, but I am both tech savvy and can be detail oriented for projects like this. I realize there's a thread on mapping tools already, but it's older, and I'm really looking for recommendations rather than a list. I looked a little bit at Campaign Cartographer, but that's pretty expensive and I see complaints about the learning curve. I don't mind throwing money at the problem, but I want it to work well if I do. I see people mention Photoshop, but my gut reaction is that I'll some artistic talent for that to work. I think i would rather have something expressly designed for this purpose. I'll need to make overland, dungeon, and settlement maps.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks and looking forward to learning why you use whatever it is you're using!

Do not use discord. Use teamspeak. If you search for discord, you will find that people have butt tons of problems with it, but there are almost no teamspeak problems (and there is a free to use community teamspeak server). Even when it is working, unless you have lightning internet connection on both sides, the quality often sucks. Not so with teamspeak.

There is a whole thread here discussing mapping. Campaign Cartographer Pro 3 Plus is the winner unless you are an artiste, in which case you can make raster programs like photoshop work.

Thanks Bidmaron. If I did use Teamspeak then what application would you suggest I use with it to play the sounds? Is Sirynscape the way to go, or do you recommend something else?

I cannot pass myself off as a sound expert, but Syrinscape is friggin' awesome! A deaf man could tell you that much.

Dulux has an outstanding blow-by-blow telling you how to use teamspeak in his extension thread for the DoE Sounds extension right here. He is an awesome community developer (just ask him!), and we owe him a lot. Someday I hope his stuff gets rolled into FG as a permanent part of the program.

1. Discord works great for me. I run a second instance of discord and send my winamp music through it. You can also send Syrinscape through it by following this guide. The setup will be similar for getting any audio source hooked up with any VOIP service.

2. I use Dungeonographer myself. The free version has all of the core features, so you can play with it before you decide to buy, or even just stick with the free version.

Ok. That's helpful. I bookmarked a couple of these threads and will study them. Thanks Bidmaron. Still interested in more feedback from others, but this helps a lot.

Sounds like you are capable of answering your own questions. If Discord is working for you, more power to you! Many here have it working fine. I troll these boards a lot though, and the most common thread we have other than connection problems are people having discord problems.

I have no experience with playing sounds over Discord. I think you might have confused Caelen's response with a post from me. I appreciate the feedback from both of you. It will help me quite a bit in making a decision. It definitely sounds like Sirynscape is the way to go for sounds. I'll keep reading about mapping software. Thanks again guys.

The names were similar enough that I thought it was you at a glance. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    He is an awesome community developer (just ask him!)
    No, I couldn't - I'm too modest.
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz