Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread: Old D&D modules

Quote Originally Posted by Cabales View Post
    There must be something behind the scenes on this for WoTC that I don't understand, because allowing people to convert the modules and then have them sold anywhere, FG included, seems like free money to me.
    Do what I did, send them an email and nag them about it (WoTC and DMsguild). I've got stuff I'd put soon as they allowed it but until they allow something other than 5E... we're screwed.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Blog Entries
    As mentioned, yes, the Classic Modules are conversion guides, you still need the originals (which are for sale as pdfs) to get the maps, artwork, room descriptions etc.

In the end, it doesn't really matter why WotC has decided to only license 5E stuff, but they have and we have to live with it

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Leave Warlocks of the Coast before they rob your soul, there are too many great other systems out there to support their madness

Yeah, I do plan to branch out into other systems, but I decided to start with 5e for a multitude of reasons. Primarily because I'm most familiar with D&D (though it's been forever since I played), and it seems to have the most automation in FG.

I plan to branch out to PF once I'm comfortable with 5E. Maybe Savage Worlds eventually too.

Blog Entries
    Since the 3e OGL and SRD, now updated into a 5e OGL and SRD, WoTC has been about the friendliest company allowing official use of their rules.

Older modules, with art and copyright text may have completely different contracts with the creators than exist today. They also cannot allow people to freely use their copyrighted items and still protect copyrights. Finally, they don't want to create confusion with multiple versions of the same product out there.

The 5e rules are pretty clean and play well. They are built on the 3/3.5/pathfinder base with all the fiddly bits replaced by advantage/disadvantage. That is an over simplification, but true within bounded accuracy.

I play other games as well (and have for decades), but the current iteration of D&D is good with a pretty solid and the FG implementation is good.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Thanks, Myrdin. Good explanation almost makes me want to try 5e, but I just can't forgive those rascals for the abortion of 4e.

Blog Entries
    You realize that you can play 5e via OGL series that are out there and WoTC does not get paid? For example, Adventures in Middle Earth is a complete rewrite on top of of the exiting SRD? More and more companies are releasing world's and rules that do not use the official books.

I would also note that the team that released 5e survived on very little internal funding, did a huge open play test, and must really love the game because of the big effort they put into it with pretty dire job prospects at the time? They respond to messages and posts personally all the time.

There are plenty of other systems out there, but 5e is quite viable and captures a lot of what I liked from my AD&D days.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

I appreciate the perspective but I have invested a butt ton in 3.5 and PF. At this point, the old dog new trick thing applies. Plus I feel an allegiance to Paizo who bailed out the greatest edition of all time. I am a superscriber to all their stuff except I think I am going to slowly cancel my starfinder subscriptions, as I just can't get into it (and I want to).

In fact, I am thinking about porting Spelljammer to PF. That setting has my vote for the funnest setting of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post

In fact, I am thinking about porting Spelljammer to PF. That setting has my vote for the funnest setting of all time.
    If you want a partner, let me know, I'd love to get in on that project!

Well I have to finish some table manager work I am doing first so it will be a while. Guess we could talk some ground fundamentals.
    In case folks didn't know, you can now buy all the Spelljammer material on RPGNow. It is fairly good price for PDFs.

Thread Information