FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 8 First 1234 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by PhorgottenSon View Post
    This is a stickied thread about the rules for posting Paid Games and postings for hiring a paid Game Master. Please take the debate on the rightness or wrongness of this activity elsewhere and leave this thread to those asking about something they don't see in the rules, making suggestions to the rules, and/or looking for clarification on the rules that are there.

Thanks.
    Its also about feedback on the those Rules and the Policy as a whole - and this Community's attitude and concern about this subject (positive or negative) has and should have an impact on the topic.

Its also appropriate to point out to those who are using this thread to gather information about such rules, etc, to be informed that there are alternatives to the activity, especially if those individuals happen to be relatively new to the hobby and/or to VTTs in general and may not be aware that there is a body of knowledge and opinion (positive and negative) about the practice and how their participation may effect their enjoyment of the hobby in both the short and long term.
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgrancey View Post
    Just to clarify, as I was thinking of getting back into running but using already constructed modules; how would asking Players to contribute to cost of Modules or Extras they agree on count. I had planned on pretty much everything listed in post #1, so didn't think it would be an issue but since I saw this figured I should to double check anyways.
    I don't think anyone have a problem with players sharing the cost of modules if they agree to it, it's more about DM asking to be paid for their time. Even then if someone start a LFP thread asking the players to paid to play the rules allow it, as long as it follows the rules. What was more a problem is someone starting posting in many LFG threads offering his paid games as many noticed lately.

I think points 2 and 5 are especially important.

Germany CET time zone [GMT+1/Summer GMT+2]
    Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    Its also about feedback on the those Rules and the Policy as a whole - and this Community's attitude and concern about this subject (positive or negative) has and should have an impact on the topic.

Its also appropriate to point out to those who are using this thread to gather information about such rules, etc, to be informed that there are alternatives to the activity, especially if those individuals happen to be relatively new to the hobby and/or to VTTs in general and may not be aware that there is a body of knowledge and opinion (positive and negative) about the practice and how their participation may effect their enjoyment of the hobby in both the short and long term.
    That's why I like this community a lot and I have to absolutely say YES to what Dulux-Oz said. I think the same - I have paid quite a bit to get FG running and so on. It's something I do because I like to do online gaming like FG allows me to do. I do have experience of roleplaying for more than 20 years and it never came to me to be paid for what I do. This is about fun together and learning new faces. And out of my perspective bringing the money in harms this part of the deal. What happens if you do not like the events of an evening? Do you get a refund?

Really, I think the money should stay out of the game here and I would wish that this is simply about having fun together and a good time!

Take care,
    Waldbaer
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    The One who walks the woods.
    [Ultimate licence]

.~~~~.
    i====i_
    |cccc|_)
    |cccc|
    `-==-'

...and I did a lot of GMing and stuff...I have been on both sides of the table many times.
    [Ultimate licence]

.~~~~.
    i====i_
    |cccc|_)
    |cccc|
    `-==-'

Quote Originally Posted by Waldbaer View Post
    Really, I think the money should stay out of the game here and I would wish that this is simply about having fun together and a good time!
    People pay for things they "Love" all the time. In fact, it's a time-honored tradition to support the things you love and respect with financial compensation.

And some people are fortunate enough to make money doing things they "Love". As opposed to making a living (or paying a bill) doing something you don't.

The peanut gallery's negative opinion of Paid Games and those willing to Pay for them smacks of envy, lack of understanding, and irrelevance with regard to the participants.

Frankly, the hostile environment on Smitework's site against paid games is dissuasive enough that if I was going to run one I wouldn't bother using this platform, or this forum, at all. You think you're doing Smiteworks any favors by ostracizing those people?

I applaud Smiteworks for instituting some guidelines to try to herd this particular cat (since it appears one scratched some people the wrong way)... but I hope they can mange the niche with the neutrality it deserves.

If anything, Smiteworks should consider opening up a dedicated subforum for paid games where players and GM's can publicly solicit and discuss their experiences without having unwanted aspersions cast at them. Nothing protects a consumer, or exposes a fraud, more than transparency.
    Last edited by Full Bleed; October 3rd, 2017 at 05:54. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Full Bleed View Post
    Frankly, the hostile environment on Smitework's site against paid games is dissuasive enough that if I was going to run one I wouldn't bother using this platform, or this forum, at all. You think you're doing Smiteworks any favors by ostracizing those people?
    I see and understand your side of the table - but I think it is far away from being a hostile environment here. This is just about my opinion and yours and there we seem to have a large gap in the middle. I do not prevent anyone to host paid games - but I wonder why the world needs something like that? And I really keep asking people to participate in campaign costs far away from someone who would take money to entertain his/her DM skills.

It occurs to me that neither I can convince you of my opponion nor the other way around. Probably it's just because in my life the idea of getting paid for doing something which I do as a hobby privately for a long time now is simply corrupting the idea of such games for me.

On the other hand if a paid DM gets things done which you never could do privately this may be worth a price. But I myself more or less feature the nostalgic idea that a DM gives something to the players and the players give something back to him/her. And I do not mean a money transaction.
    [Ultimate licence]

.~~~~.
    i====i_
    |cccc|_)
    |cccc|
    `-==-'

I think we are straying from the point of the thread here which is to lay out some ground rules for DMs recruiting for games that they charge for. I don't think we need any more opinions expressed as to whether paying to play is good or bad.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

I don't personally have an opinion on the subject one way or the other. I do have an opinion regarding ensuring that such GM's and players who deem to participate in such activity are not looked down upon or ostracised in any way. That I will fight strongly for. All players have a right to choose or not to choose such an activity. It's no one else's business.
    Ultimate License Holder GM

Games currently Playing: AD&D, DCC RPG and D&D 5e

Finished Projects: AD&D Ruleset
    New School NPC Maker 5E
    New School NPC Maker PFRPG - 3.5E
    Old School NPC Maker

Current Projects:

1) Adventure Module.
    2) Maintaining and improving released projects.
    3) C.O.O.L. Beasts
    4) Basic Fantasy Ruleset
    5) Metamorphosis Alpha Ruleset

I have a note or suggestion about Rule 4.
    "The price should be clearly listed."

I think this should include the GM's refund policy for sessions paid for but not played or used, as well as refunds for dissatisfaction if any refunds are to be given for that at all.
    Full License owner
    Destroyer of Bacon
    The thin line between genius and insanity is dotted.

Thread Information