DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 7 First 12345 ... Last
    Lol Acmer

That reminds of that time when I tried to shieldbash a tiefling. Unfortunately he could fit in between the spikes of my shield and proceeded to climb up and stab me in the throat,lmao

just downloaded the demo of FG and I just want to know...

Am I the only one who can't see what score the d4 gives? If the angle isn't just right its nearly impossible to tell what you hit!!?? Anyway, maybe the full version shows it on the screen, dunno yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Trianna Darkwood
    just downloaded the demo of FG and I just want to know...

Am I the only one who can't see what score the d4 gives? If the angle isn't just right its nearly impossible to tell what you hit!!?? Anyway, maybe the full version shows it on the screen, dunno yet.
    It's everyone's problem, actually. It's the biggest problem for DM if he doesn't want players to see his throw. The idea for FG is thath when you throw dice on the table, no one sees them, if you want to show your throw to the public, you should drop the dice into chat box. A small workaround for the case when you can't see d4 outcome on the table and also don't want your players to see it, would be to type /w in the chatbox (just as you would be going to whisper) and throw the die in there. The outcome will be seen, but until you press Enter no one sees it. And you don't press it, of course.
    "The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come to pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose. . ."

Anyways, I got your Private Message, Trianna, but let me reply here, because it's a matter of all the players. First of all, I'm not sure what kind of adventure to run. A get to know everyone is a good idea, but limited time for preparations is an issue for me. My job takes most of my time, actually, and you have to take care of different things besides that, right? It's called life. What I want to do, is to run some pre-made adventures for D&D, those being some modules I either bought on paper or downloaded. I still need to adapt them to FG first, but I wouldn't have time to write my own campaign at the moment, unless you want to start in Q1 2007. ;D Probably some of you have already played them and I will have to ask you first, so I can choose something no one is familiar with, to have a good time w/o spoilers.

I noticed that most of the adventures, either sold by WotC, or written by some "anonymous" people tend to be dungeon crawls, aimed at fighting, dungeon exploration and such. How do you see this genre? I'm not sure how it would be played in FG, having in mind it's an Internet based game then, which may be slow at times.

For the answers. I don't want PCs to know about each other at all. Not even a background story, if you go together, you'll eventually find out. Some people lie, some don't like to tell about their past, everyone has a reason to do something. That means alignement, as well. People usually don't walk the streets with stickers on their back telling "I'm Lawful Neutral.", it's rather "Kick me". I just want you to stay in character and act as your character would. You can tell others what you think of law and obedience, but don't tell them "listen, I'm chaotic neutral".

For the "coordination" of skills in the group... I don't say no, neither I say yes. If you can choose some skills that are both helpful to the party and suit your character (background story?) - I won't defy.

And, yes, if you know who you'd like to play - class, race, gender, alignement - you can let me know, it might be helpful (PM me).

I think I will go for a generic d20 D&D right now, w/o a particular setting. There are many small villages, forgotten ruins and unnamed forests to fill a whole world and if we go later for Toril (FR) or something, we may as well assume it was FR from the beginning. What do you think?

And the essential question is - do you want a rusty DM? :P
    "The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come to pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose. . ."

Yay! A rusty DM! *squeaky squeak*

Doesn't bother me. I'm a rusty player. Guess most of us are.

Adventures: I haven't played any ready-made adventures. Everything I have DM:d is made up by me, and the only one I played was an adventure in Runequest. It had something to do with mushrooms...
    Oh, and I've read Nazgul's Citadel adventure book.

I think it sounds great!

I'll PM DarkStar later today on what I want to be when I grow up

Some coordination would be nice, so that we won't have to kill each other on sight, or that we're not all elven archers.

Quote Originally Posted by acmer
    Some coordination would be nice, so that we won't have to kill each other on sight, or that we're not all elven archers.
    lol. A party of six elven archers... why not? A remnant of some army, that got beaten up on the field. You all were a part of elven archers squad and when those war ogres hit on you with trees ripped of the ground, huge rocks thrown on your heads, you were the only survivors, now trying to get home.

It might need some special treatment in terms of monster encounters and such, but it might be an interesting theme as well.

Now, I don't want you to pick elven archers, because of what I wrote, it's an example showing that even something stupid or odd at first may be used for fun play. Right?

Being rusty is inconsequential, having "the right stuff" is essential. I've met DMs who had all the rules nailed down and still were poor because they didn't possess the tools and mindset to make a story come to life. A good example was last week when I was a guestplayer and the DM threw a dragon into the story....we were 3rd lvl players. Dragons for me are the stuff of legend even dreams perhaps. They are talked about with reverence around campfires and people aren't even sure they believe in them because very few people are around to tell about an encounter or perhaps they choose not to for some ulterior motive. Anyway, the sure road to utter DM failure in my view is to throw in something extravagant just for the sake of it. If we swim around in +4 amour and whatnot and have treasure around every corner then everything looses its magic. No sudden heartbeat or true joy at having found something unique because you already got 5 of the same items back home. Anyway, thats one thing I think DMs should carefully avoid.

A great DM tool however, is immersion. If a DM can make the world believable he owns the players ( muaharhar). A DM describes how you make your way down to the city port and meet a sailor. A poor DM would just say what the sailor NPC has to say. A good DM would BECOME the sailor. While playing over the net severely hampers this, its still possible through some tweaks and turns. For me it has no bearing whatsoever if you lack experience or are rusty. It's a matter of chemistry and style of narrative if you ask me.

I tried that d4, and it didn't seem too hard to see the numbers. 1 and 4 are easy to see, and in 2 and 3 at least one facing is quite clear. Maybe it has something to with display settings.

I don't know if there are any display shortcuts in the demoversion I don't know of, but can't seem to access any display settings other than the colour of the dice.

There aren't. Maybe acmer has a better eyesight. ;P No, really, d4 can be read, but it's more difficult than the other dice and I don't know what SmiteWorks might do about it. It's just the shape of this die.

Thread Information