DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 17 First 123412 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    After revamping things to what I have now I could probably go back and re-do it. Best way to do it might be move effects children to character sheet and "link" back from combat tracker to character sheet like how is done for hp/ac/etc?
    The caveat would be that you'd need to check the character sheet for effects then. That's where I decided it best not to hack CoreRPG baseline code to check there for PCs and CT for NPCs. (didn't want to replace to much cause then anytime a update was released it'd break).
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

I haven’t done any work on it, just thought about it a bit which I usually do before I build anything.

For multiple effects, I think they are needed, because of conditional effects.

For weapons, that’s a unique challenge. I was thinking to only apply effects on those when attacking, but hadn’t figured out how to differentiate yet.

You shouldn’t need to hack the character sheet at all, because the effects would be on the item records and not in the character sheet. Now, being able to view all the effects on a character would be a challenge, especially without having to synch data all over the place.

It would be great if the application of the effect wasn't based on equipped or not, but dynamically applied somehow only when the weapon was used in an attack roll (per MWs last comment). I normally just keep all my weapons "equipped" on my character sheet. Having to toggle which weapon I was actually using at any point in time would be slightly annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenan View Post
    It would be great if the application of the effect wasn't based on equipped or not, but dynamically applied somehow only when the weapon was used in an attack roll (per MWs last comment). I normally just keep all my weapons "equipped" on my character sheet. Having to toggle which weapon I was actually using at any point in time would be slightly annoying.
    The way it works now you just don't put effects on the item that you don't want with other items. Giving a weapon +1 attack would be putting it on the items bonus. Giving a weapon +fire resist, +1 saves, +1 skill, or +ability score is all viable.

Having the effect checked from the item itself is an option and in certain cases we'd just need to know it was used. Otherwise it needs to be equipped for the persistence of things like saves.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I haven’t done any work on it, just thought about it a bit which I usually do before I build anything.
    Sorry, didn't mean to imply you were jumping right on this. I contemplate how to best do things as well. Often times for days

For multiple effects, I think they are needed, because of conditional effects.
    Can you not string conditionals along with other effects in the same string?

I was thinking having the individualized mostly for duration.

Tho in my mind I can't think of something that is a duration except perhaps maybe something like wings of flying that only work for 3 turns or something? In my ruleset I attached powers to items (when the item is given to the player they get a new power in the actions tab that shows up they can use) so you can apply them when used so it's not something I spent much time thinking about.

For weapons, that’s a unique challenge. I was thinking to only apply effects on those when attacking, but hadn’t figured out how to differentiate yet.

You shouldn’t need to hack the character sheet at all, because the effects would be on the item records and not in the character sheet. Now, being able to view all the effects on a character would be a challenge, especially without having to synch data all over the place.
    I didn't consider that, checking the items. I'll think on it. Right now all of that backs into the CT effects children.
    ---

Just brainstorming with you...

Using a conditional in the effect is a boolean gate to determine whether the evaluation of the effect will continue past the conditional. If you have an item which has two separate effects (+2 attack vs. dragons, +4 damage vs. elementals); then you wouldn't be able to code this with a single effect string, you would need 2 effects.

Still thinking on the weapons, but like darrenan was saying, I was thinking that the weapon item node would be needed in attack and damage rolls in order to pull effects from the weapon only when it is used. And, that the general effect handling would need to know to ignore equipped weapons in general. Something that can be overriden at the individual ruleset level to allow each ruleset to tell the effect manager whether an equipped item should be included or not, given an item node.

As a side note, one of the reasons why I haven't implemented this feature yet is because whenever we implement a feature like this, people expect that all of the data in all of the DLC instantly comes with all the effects pre-built, and wonder why not every item has full functionality (even if there are no effects that are relevant yet). So, it's a much larger project when we get to the point where we can do something official. At this point, it's not on our radar, since I'm dealing with current release, and trying to get some time to work on FGU.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    If you want to be even more of a hero, look at adding the same thing to NPC.

There are a ton of NPC that do not parse the abilities into CT effects, especially ones in 3rd party modules.

The easiest solution I have thought of is exactly what you did for items, allow the entry of an effect for the NPC that appears on the CT.

The top of the world ability would be to be able to add a power/spell like player characters can, but I suspect the code for that is much hard to add cast, saving throws, etc.

Moon Wizard has set phrases that trigger auto populating the CT, but there are so many cases where this does not work that so,etching like what this extension does for items for NPC would be great.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

As a side note, one of the reasons why I haven't implemented this feature yet is because whenever we implement a feature like this, people expect that all of the data in all of the DLC instantly comes with all the effects pre-built, and wonder why not every item has full functionality (even if there are no effects that are relevant yet). So, it's a much larger project when we get to the point where we can do something official.
    I can certainly see that. I definitely have more flexibility than you guys do since I can just rip something out or totally change it and not worry about the things you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdin Potter View Post
    If you want to be even more of a hero, look at adding the same thing to NPC.

There are a ton of NPC that do not parse the abilities into CT effects, especially ones in 3rd party modules.

The easiest solution I have thought of is exactly what you did for items, allow the entry of an effect for the NPC that appears on the CT.

The top of the world ability would be to be able to add a power/spell like player characters can, but I suspect the code for that is much hard to add cast, saving throws, etc.
    I already have an effect string on NPCs just like this one for items in my ruleset. So it's very possible.

I also allow them to add spells/powers/weapons/skills/inventory just like players. That is a bit bigger of an issue than just a npc effect string tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdin Potter View Post
    Moon Wizard has set phrases that trigger auto populating the CT, but there are so many cases where this does not work that so,etching like what this extension does for items for NPC would be great.
    This is why I wanted to add something a bit more mechanical. I'd really like to have a system that has menus/options to add/toggle for each effect much like you use for weapons but effects are really complex and ... it was easier to just add the string

First thing (low hanging fruit) I'll sort out multiples and some options like duration and perhaps hidden/visible for items. Right now I think only the DM can see the effect the way I have it set.

After that I'll look into what it would take for NPCs (and add the multiple+options to it as well) in the 5E ruleset.

Thanks for all the great feedback folks! I'll see what I can get implemented
    ---

Blog Entries
    I look forward to seeing that. I will not be able to use the extension in DLC that I develop, but at least I can use it in my home games. And maybe Moon Wizard will see the result and work with you to implement in the main program, that has happened before with other community extensions.

Right now he is is playing fire brigade for flames coming from users that are having issues with this update. :-p
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

When my players use this it sets the "visible to gm' tag rather than "visible to all", am I missing something?

Thread Information