DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

New to FG and I have some questions

I've been playing around with the Demo version and I'm considering switching to FG from Roll20, but I have a few questions. I loaded the demo 5e campaign and I've gone through the included tutorial story pages.

1. How do I get FG to stretch across and fill multiple monitors? One of the walkthrough videos mentioned using a multiple monitor setup, which is what I have.
    2. If I get an unlimited license, is there any limit to the number of demo accounts that can connect to a game I run? My players and I ran into that problem trying out the demo; only one other person can connect at a time.
    3. Is there any sort of built in file backup functionality, or would I need to sync my FG folders to something like google drive?
    4. I'd like to be able to use one computer with a player-view monitor and a gm-view monitor. Is there a way to do this? Can I have two instances of FG running with two different accounts?
    5. Can I use one account on different computers? I use my desktop for online games and my laptop for face to face games.
    6. (5e) How do I make death saves for NPCs? I can't find this in the combat tracker or on the NPC sheets.

I might have more questions later, but that's all for now.

Blog Entries
    1. Just drag the sides and stretch across your monitor real estate.
    2. You have the demo right now not an Ultimate license. Demo allows one connection. Ultimate allows any number of demo connections.
    3. Do not sync like this. Move files around manually.
    4. Run a 2nd instance and connect to yourself via "localhost" as the address. Put each instance on a separate monitor.
    5. Yes but not concurrently.
    6. Good question. Maybe jyst manually roll a d20 and track it somewhere.

Welcome! Stick with FG; you will not regret it.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Hi Caelen and welcome to FG

1) Grab the edge of the FG window and drag it across onto your other screen - just like you would any other window.
    2) No, there is no limit. There is a limit of one demo account if you only have the standard license.
    3) Yes, FG backs up you campaign every 5 minutes or so and when you quit. Never, ever, use Bloud based back up software when FG is running.
    4) Yes, you can start a second instance of FG and have it on another monitor. You can also run a (demo) copy on another computer on the same network and join the main instance over your LAN.
    5) Yes, but only one instance at a time. You can run your ultimate license on multiple monitors. You can run on different computers but you'll need to copy your data from one to the other if you want to continue something that you started on the other machine.
    6) NPCs don't get death saves. When they are reduced to 0 hp they are dead.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    6) NPCs don't get death saves. When they are reduced to 0 hp they are dead.
    Thanks for the welcome and other info. The reason I asked about NPC death saves is that FG clearly tracks this somewhere. When PCs target NPCs with attacks and hit while the NPC is Dying, it counts a death save and outputs the total death saves to chat. Plus, NPCs go into Dying before Dead, just like PCs. Important NPCs do get death saves just like PCs after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Caelen View Post
    Thanks for the welcome and other info. The reason I asked about NPC death saves is that FG clearly tracks this somewhere. When PCs target NPCs with attacks and hit while the NPC is Dying, it counts a death save and outputs the total death saves to chat. Plus, NPCs go into Dying before Dead, just like PCs. Important NPCs do get death saves just like PCs after all.
    Hmm, I have never noticed this because I remove NPCs from the Combat Tracker as soon as they are reduced to 0. I'd need to test it out which I can't do right now. Certainly I'm not aware of any kind of automatic roll being made for NPCs nor any method to make one.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

It does track the death saves for NPCs, but that information is currently hidden, since NPC sheets don't have a death saves section. The only place it is visible is when it's output to the chat window.

Regards,
    JPG

Is there an easy way to roll a set of dice and keep the highest few? For example, 4d6 keep 3, for generating stats in 5e?

You can do this in Manage characters or use this extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    You can do this in Manage characters or use this extension.
    That extension is exactly what I wanted, thanks. I didn't know FG had extensions; now I get to look into all the shiny things I can add to it

Does FG have any Unearthed Arcana or DMs Guild content available? If not, can I make these things for myself to share with my players?

Thread Information