FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 7 of 70 First ... 567891757 ... Last
    So I've started importing Talents and Traits to the ruleset for use with my players, but I've just started showing my players and they cannot see any of the talents unless I drag it to the chat individually to make it shared. Is this expected behaviour of the talents and Data entries?

Yes. The entries you make in skills, talents, items, etc will not be visible to the player unless shared directly with a chat link. You can create the needed items and then export them to a module. Say you create a module for skills, and one for talents, these can be opened on the player side by loading the module to display in their library windows. Just make sure when you perform the export it is flagged as a player module so they can use it, also make sure in your GM's modules window you allow players to load it.
    Last edited by Paul Pratt; January 25th, 2018 at 07:44.

Ahh perfect, that was the plan in the end so as long as it'll work like that, it's perfect. Thank you!

Edit: and thanks for the fast response too!

So I've done the library modules for Skills, is there any easy (or possible) way to get the auto-populating skills lists to link to my filled in skills instead of blank placeholder ones? Even if I edit those, they appear to be unique and subsequent characters create a new placeholder link.
    Just wondering if there is a way other than making a bunch of premade "blank" characters and putting the links in manually for each one.

I see what you mean, let me look at that. It may be doable.

I did not include skill or talent descriptions because of copy right. You could edit the file that sets up the skills and define the descriptions there. Then the auto populated skills will have their descriptions. That would be pretty easy to do.
    My players use my libraries and copy paste the description from the library to the character sheets. Not ideal, but I never thought about going back in a personal campaign and editing that file.

Maybe i'm missing something but is there a way to toggle burst/full auto attacks or would I have to set it up somehow? If I would how would I go about it?

Semi versus Full auto is a modifier, so I didn't add any toggle for automation. When rolling you would add the appropriate roll modifier to the modifier box, and then make the roll. Same with All Out Attack for melee.

I could add something like this to the weapon sheet in the conditionals area I think. I just felt at the time I was going to leave firing modes and other player decisions off the sheet and have them use modifiers.

spite,
    I looked into the skill list deeper and I remembered what the compromise was. When I first made the ruleset I didn't have the basic skill list auto fill, you added every line or made a custom library to drop links.

I had several on these forums ask for an auto filled list they could add details too. When I made the change, I realized anyone that had custom data libraries, (like me) were going to be frustrated that their custom data was overwritten each time. So, I made a compromise that I think works ok. If you made any custom skills, they can be added to the basic skills or advanced skills list and they will not be overwritten. If you made a library that contains the basic skills, then the ruleset auto fill data is less complete.

What you can do is this.

Like the skill roll field and the advancement fields the shortcut link itself can be modified. Middle mouse click and you can delete the link that is auto generated. If you have a full blown skill library with descriptions, (for me custom descriptions), players can drop your library links on the empty shortcut and use your data. They will not be overwritten. The player will have to do a one time list link replacement to use your data. Still less work than entering everything by hand, but more work than a blank list you can drop your data on.

This was a compromise. For those with no libraries and those with libraries. That's the thing about writing rulesets for games that we can't support with modules due to copyright and licenses. Either very generic, or you try to add features that feel not quite finished.

I hope that helps and works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pratt View Post
    spite,
    I looked into the skill list deeper and I remembered what the compromise was. When I first made the ruleset I didn't have the basic skill list auto fill, you added every line or made a custom library to drop links.

I had several on these forums ask for an auto filled list they could add details too. When I made the change, I realized anyone that had custom data libraries, (like me) were going to be frustrated that their custom data was overwritten each time. So, I made a compromise that I think works ok. If you made any custom skills, they can be added to the basic skills or advanced skills list and they will not be overwritten. If you made a library that contains the basic skills, then the ruleset auto fill data is less complete.

What you can do is this.

Like the skill roll field and the advancement fields the shortcut link itself can be modified. Middle mouse click and you can delete the link that is auto generated. If you have a full blown skill library with descriptions, (for me custom descriptions), players can drop your library links on the empty shortcut and use your data. They will not be overwritten. The player will have to do a one time list link replacement to use your data. Still less work than entering everything by hand, but more work than a blank list you can drop your data on.

This was a compromise. For those with no libraries and those with libraries. That's the thing about writing rulesets for games that we can't support with modules due to copyright and licenses. Either very generic, or you try to add features that feel not quite finished.

I hope that helps and works for you.
    Hey mate that's a fair compromise, and will definitely be better than doing it all by hand each time :P

Fantastic work, Paul! My Deathwatch players and myself are very grateful for your Ruleset, as some of them cannot always attend my games at home. One's a trucker who logs in from different places every game, another lives in a different city (he runs our Fantasy Grounds 5e D&D campaign, and introduced me to FG). I have a couple of questions:

1) Have you set some standard abbreviations for Armour Locations, to enter in the "Protects" field of an item's description? I'm asking in case it's needed for any automated Damage calculation.

2) In your own campaign, do you manage Traits and Special Abilities (such as Astartes Implants or Power Armour Abilities) as Talents?
    Last edited by Flamewielder; February 13th, 2018 at 01:00.

Thread Information