5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 39 of 70 First ... 29373839404149 ... Last

Make an effect -20: ATTACK and place it on the NPC. Whenever anyone target them they will pick up the -20. You could be descriptive as well -20: Attack (Puny)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pratt View Post
    Make an effect -20: ATTACK and place it on the NPC. Whenever anyone target them they will pick up the -20. You could be descriptive as well -20: Attack (Puny)
    Got it. Thanks!

First post here on FG, having just bought an ultimate license (wish I new it was on sale for even cheaper last month). Firstly I have to applaud your work Paul, the level of detail and effort in your rule set is amazing. 2 of my friends who also got licenses played around with the rule set today and they were gushing over the data slate theme on everything as well as the level of automation available compared to the free roll20 game that I am currently gming or what we delt with when we used to play on TTS doing everything manually.

Your rule set is really the whole reason I have decided to give FG a try as I did not want to subject my self to maptools and was still uncertain if paying for a pro account with roll20 so I could gm with the advanced api DH2e sheets was worth it.

That aside, I do have a couple probably pretty noob questions as I am going through and learning this system and how to play FFG games in it.

-As I understand it the best way to handle modifiers such as Short range, Swift Attack, Aiming, Accurate Weapons when aimed, etc is to create a corresponding modifier and just drag it to dice roller for the roll?

-Likewise the best way to handle things like enemies being prone would be to use a prone effect on them, although I am guessing the negative to hit ranged and positive to hit in melee as well as the effected's penalty to dodge would all have to be separate effects?

-Also I seem to have a similar problem reported by another user where as the GM the hit locations in the CT is working as intended but my players without fail receive Location: *blank on their successful hits. I will report back on this if I can find out whats going on

-I may have missed it somewhere in your videos and pdf, but does sub-type in items reference anything in the books' syntax.

-I also know that weapon special qualities are to follow the syntax of the books, but I do have a question regarding those, when entering multiple qualities such as Tearing and Balanced is there a comma or space in between them such as Tearing, Balanced?

-What is the intended way to use vehicles?, I assume with how you made it with the pilot and gunner attributes for NPC use. But what about for player use, give the sheet to them to use on their own with profiles? or is there someway to integrate it into their Character sheet? Also is there a good way for the crew to test for different combat actions such as jink, etc or would it be best to just make the pilot their own character sheet to test on. Lastly on the the vehicles sheet, for the skill box for the pilot is that their total characteristic after +whatever from their operate skills?

Sorry about this broadside of questions, being new to the system I might just be just stumbling right over things.
    Last edited by Venomrafterman; January 27th, 2020 at 01:41.

@Venonrafterman,

I will get back to you with the some answers to your post. I just saw this and want to answer your questions as fully as possible. I am headed out at the moment, but thought I would let you know I saw this and will get back to you as soon as I can.

@Venonrafterman,

I will get back to you with the some answers to your post. I just saw this and want to answer your questions as fully as possible. I am headed out at the moment, but thought I would let you know I saw this and will get back to you as soon as I can.
    Much appreciated!

@Venonrafterman,

1. Short range, Swift Attack, Aiming, Accurate Weapons, etc. are best handled with modifiers. I also recommend the hotbar. Drag a modifier to the hotbar for quick access. The most commonly used. I also have players put together their favorite "moves" to a hotbar. Then I have the basic -10, -20, -30 mods handy on my GM hotbar to apply for range, etc.

2. Prone works as an effect. Prone as an effect is written in to the ruleset and if the attack is melee or ranged will take that into account.

3. Of all the reports I have had on this item they turn out to be one of two reasons. 1. The player didn't have something targeted when attacking. 2. The item targeted in the CT needed to be refreshed. In regards to both, always make sure the all combatants are placed into the CT (combat tracker), and that they are dragged and drop from the CT to the map. Always, this is FG 101. The targeting automation depends on those steps. Second make sure the player actually has something targeted.

4. Sub Type has zero game play relevance, it is their by request for more detail to items. For instance Pistol (type) Las (sub type). Its not needed, and is optional to use.

5. It would be Tearing, Balanced. Comma followed by space.

6. Vehicles. They can be shared as a sheet for players to control, or controlled by the GM. For skills used while in the vehicle, there are several options. Players can roll from their sheets, you can enter the players values and have them roll from the vehicle. There isn't a "set" way since I tried to account for NPC vehicles controlled by the GM as well as vehicles that players may use. They are flexible and intended (hoped) you will find the way that best fits your method of running your games.

I hope that helps.

@Venonrafterman,

1. Short range, Swift Attack, Aiming, Accurate Weapons, etc. are best handled with modifiers. I also recommend the hotbar. Drag a modifier to the hotbar for quick access. The most commonly used. I also have players put together their favorite "moves" to a hotbar. Then I have the basic -10, -20, -30 mods handy on my GM hotbar to apply for range, etc.

2. Prone works as an effect. Prone as an effect is written in to the ruleset and if the attack is melee or ranged will take that into account.

3. Of all the reports I have had on this item they turn out to be one of two reasons. 1. The player didn't have something targeted when attacking. 2. The item targeted in the CT needed to be refreshed. In regards to both, always make sure the all combatants are placed into the CT (combat tracker), and that they are dragged and drop from the CT to the map. Always, this is FG 101. The targeting automation depends on those steps. Second make sure the player actually has something targeted.

4. Sub Type has zero game play relevance, it is their by request for more detail to items. For instance Pistol (type) Las (sub type). Its not needed, and is optional to use.

5. It would be Tearing, Balanced. Comma followed by space.

6. Vehicles. They can be shared as a sheet for players to control, or controlled by the GM. For skills used while in the vehicle, there are several options. Players can roll from their sheets, you can enter the players values and have them roll from the vehicle. There isn't a "set" way since I tried to account for NPC vehicles controlled by the GM as well as vehicles that players may use. They are flexible and intended (hoped) you will find the way that best fits your method of running your games.

I hope that helps.
    Thank you very much for the quick reply, it helps alot.
    By chance is there any to see a list of valid effects or is it based on one of the other rulesets, ie corerpg?

@Venonrafterman,

In the first post, the file Dark Heresy for Fantasy Grounds 3.2. That is the most current rule set guide. It has a list of all the effects currently in the ruleset.

The two videos give a lot of information on basic game play and character sheet use. The main thing, since there is a lot of automation, is what I posted above - Always drag and drop from the CT to the map. Everything starts with linking up the battle correctly.

When looking at the weapons list, once you create a weapon always make sure to click the green skull furthest left in the second row and fill that sheet out. Otherwise it will throw an error. The error I have left in. It doesn't break anything, but is a clear indication the weapon is set up wrong. Second in the weapons list work from left to right. It was designed to follow the combat steps.

The idea behind all the icons and names in the rows is below.
    --> First row: Weapon Profile
    --> Second Row:
    Set up icon (brings you to the weapon details page)
    Conditionals for attack (this is the expanding arrow that reveals conditions to the attacks that may change such as Melta short range, target is a Horde, etc.)
    Attack Roll (make the attacks roll from here once all mods set)
    Set Location Hit (this begins the damage sequence)
    Set if covered area hit (check for cover if used) --- Roll damage which is in the base weapon profile
    Adjust ammo count (adjust the ammo left in the clip)

Psy attacks work much the same. Work left to right and you shouldn't miss a step.

Those two items seem to be the two items I get messaged about.

I tried to cover those points in the guide and videos. Also, as a new user to FG, there is an incredible amount of FG user videos and guides to assist someone starting out.

The last item you really need to watch is the options list. This allows you to run a game with mixed rules from all 6 Core books. If you like the system of Righteous Fury from Only War but want a Dark Heresy v1 game, you can do that. Just be aware of the changes these options will make in the calculations. Degrees of Success/Failure is a big one. Second is Unnatural Characteristics. This changes many things, and most importantly how to initially set up a character. I cover this in the character sheet video. If you are using options, or playing a Black Crusade, Only War, DHv2, game watch the video. There is a limit to the multi faceted character sheet on set up that requires a manual adjustment or everything breaks down. Unnatural Characteristics...my bane.. my coding limit! Watch the video to make sure your characters are initialized correctly based on the ruleset/options you want to use.

Also thank you (and your players for me) for the positive feedback on the rule set and the theme. It's nice to hear they are appreciated.
    Last edited by Paul Pratt; January 27th, 2020 at 15:43.

@Venonrafterman,

In the first post, the file Dark Heresy for Fantasy Grounds 3.2. That is the most current rule set guide. It has a list of all the effects currently in the ruleset.

The two videos give a lot of information on basic game play and character sheet use. The main thing, since there is a lot of automation, is what I posted above - Always drag and drop from the CT to the map. Everything starts with linking up the battle correctly.

When looking at the weapons list, once you create a weapon always make sure to click the green skull furthest left in the second row and fill that sheet out. Otherwise it will throw an error. The error I have left in. It doesn't break anything, but is a clear indication the weapon is set up wrong. Second in the weapons list work from left to right. It was designed to follow the combat steps.

The idea behind all the icons and names in the rows is below.
    --> First row: Weapon Profile
    --> Second Row:
    Set up icon (brings you to the weapon details page)
    Conditionals for attack (this is the expanding arrow that reveals conditions to the attacks that may change such as Melta short range, target is a Horde, etc.)
    Attack Roll (make the attacks roll from here once all mods set)
    Set Location Hit (this begins the damage sequence)
    Set if covered area hit (check for cover if used) --- Roll damage which is in the base weapon profile
    Adjust ammo count (adjust the ammo left in the clip)

Psy attacks work much the same. Work left to right and you shouldn't miss a step.

Those two items seem to be the two items I get messaged about.

I tried to cover those points in the guide and videos. Also, as a new user to FG, there is an incredible amount of FG user videos and guides to assist someone starting out.

The last item you really need to watch is the options list. This allows you to run a game with mixed rules from all 6 Core books. If you like the system of Righteous Fury from Only War but want a Dark Heresy v1 game, you can do that. Just be aware of the changes these options will make in the calculations. Degrees of Success/Failure is a big one. Second is Unnatural Characteristics. This changes many things, and most importantly how to initially set up a character. I cover this in the character sheet video. If you are using options, or playing a Black Crusade, Only War, DHv2, game watch the video. There is a limit to the multi faceted character sheet on set up that requires a manual adjustment or everything breaks down. Unnatural Characteristics...my bane.. my coding limit! Watch the video to make sure your characters are initialized correctly based on the ruleset/options you want to use.

Also thank you (and your players for me) for the positive feedback on the rule set and the theme. It's nice to hear they are appreciated.
    Thank you so much for all the detail in your explanations! I'll take another read through the pdf and your videos.

Your videos were a great help getting started, just got to get FG syntax down/read more guides.

I'll try to give feedback in the future after running a few sessions but, I think you might have though of almost everything at least in the constraints of the current software. Hopefully unity allows continued growth for this.
    Last edited by Venomrafterman; January 27th, 2020 at 18:26.

Your guides and the 3.5e effects guides have really been helping me get through this, not sure how I missed that whole section when I looked through it before.

I did have some questions regarding specific game system rules

In DH2 different armors apply an agility cap when worn, I've gone through the effects guide as well as read around here on the forums and can not seem to figure out if it is possible to cap an attribute instead of just applying a modifier additionally would it be possible tie this effect to piece of gear, armor in this case being equipped in the gear menu.

I also have been thinking of some of the talent effects from some of the games such as Only Wars Chain Weapon Expertise which changes the tearing quality of a weapon to rolling 3d10 discard to the 2 lowest, would this be possible to apply in the form of an effect in your "talent/ability effects section" or are effects like this outside of the system's capabilities?

I apologize in advance if I missed this but I did not see a Run effect in you list, I can't remember if it had the same effect in all the editions but for DH2e its imposes a -20 BS, +20 WS to hit the character till their next turn(Similar to the prone effect)

Additionally, I assume that this also not possible to automate, but following RAW for some the systems such as Dh2e for medicae where amount of wounds healed is intelligence bonus plus one wound per degree of success. Seeing your video on usable gear, I was trying to remember what system had a med kit that healed on its own die roll. Regardless on this its easy enough to do manually its not a big deal.

Also update on the targeting/hit location issue. I opened up a another instance of FG to emulate a player on my game then ran through all the steps.
    -Char sheets/npcs to CT
    -Targeted token/actor on ct
    -Rolled to hit on that char on the CT
    What I have found is the to hit location works for NPCS but not for other Characters for what ever reason.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my previous questions and I'm sorry in advance If these things are things that I am just missing.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Venomrafterman; January 28th, 2020 at 22:33.

Thread Information