STAR TREK 2d20

Thread: Percentile dice

  1. #1

    Percentile dice

    For the last years my group has experienced some issues with percentile dice - repetitive rolls and predictable dice, etc. Now, I do not have any statistical analysis that supports this "skin feeling", but we had the distinct impression that throwing two d10 is more random than throwing a percentile die. For the record, we play percentile games so most rolls are d100s.

    And I remember Doug telling that the only hypotetical problem that he could imagine was the case of dice thrown together as they could share the same angle and force of throw.

    Has any thought gone to this subject so far?

  2. #2
    LordEntrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    -7 UTC
    Posts
    17,443
    Blog Entries
    9
    Yes, many times. No one, to my knowledge, has ever provided any statistics that show that the rolls are anything but random. You can search the forums here for some in depth technical and statistical discussions if you want to delve into the topic.

    Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

  3. #3
    I've never seen this. I assume it is possible, but I imagine it would look like a single die bouncing around instead of two. Though I would think there is a small chaos factor in the ricochet that would cause them to veer differently.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Yes, many times. No one, to my knowledge, has ever provided any statistics that show that the rolls are anything but random. You can search the forums here for some in depth technical and statistical discussions if you want to delve into the topic.
    I have seen them, indeed. And the statistical data was clear. Yet Doug made one comment that left one - very slight - chance of there being trouble in place.

  5. #5
    LordEntrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    -7 UTC
    Posts
    17,443
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by RosenMcStern View Post
    I have seen them, indeed. And the statistical data was clear. Yet Doug made one comment that left one - very slight - chance of there being trouble in place.
    I think everyone feels that it is possible. But without evidence it's trying to prove a negative.

    If you think you've had non-random rolls, then you can take the chat log and strip out the roll values and run an analysis. Doug has done that with a dozen or so community contributed logs, and things still seem random. But, you never know.

    Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I think everyone feels that it is possible. But without evidence it's trying to prove a negative.

    If you think you've had non-random rolls, then you can take the chat log and strip out the roll values and run an analysis. Doug has done that with a dozen or so community contributed logs, and things still seem random. But, you never know.
    This sounds like the best option, you are right.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Starfinder Playlist

Log in

Log in