DICE PACKS BUNDLE

5E module missing maps? and poor flow of the module.

In the Legacy of the Crystal Shard module there appears to be missing maps which cause some issue while DM'ing. I am not sure if the official content contains these maps or not but there are 2 encounters I have found so far, the first encounter with Slim with the body on the floor there is no map but has tokens for the battle. The quest to protect the warehouse and there is an attack by Merek the Hobgoblin (Spelling?) there is no map for the warehouse but there are tokens and a battle planned for it. Was this by design? IMO there should be a map for every encounter otherwise why use FG for it? The other modules we have played all contain a map for each encounter but this one seems to be missing enough to appear only half complete.

Another point of contention I have is that the story seems very disjointed. There is information everywhere but you have to go searching through many previous story lines to locate it and there isnt any reference links for quite a few of the story pages. A prime example is where the party has a choice at the start of the adventure after the Yeti attack, the information exists on 4 separate pages which you have to manually sort through by clicking on other links in other story pages, not the page you are currently on. The plot hooks and stories dont lead into another story post using the flow of time effectively. It does outline the importance of time on the adventure but it doesn't make a reference of what has happened on the page you are on and the party is completing. You have to open 3 or 4 other story pages to surmise what has happened and where the next quest or line of business for the party should be. Furthermore After completing the confronting Slim quest it should state on the bottom of that page in my opinion what transpired while the party was looking for and finding Slim, which quests are now off the table due to them diverting their attention to this quest and what the options are go forward to move the story forward.

Fantasy grounds should provide the ability for a module like this to shine and make for a seamless adventure for the players and the DM but I am finding myself spending at times 5-10 minutes locating post action results and loading in non-module related maps to facilitate the needs to run the game which involves breaking immersion and slowing the game play flow.

It is entirely possible that I have missed something here but any guidance would be appreciated.

I just found this post by Zacchaeus https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...044#post249044

It adds some great dimension and I thank you, if there is any timeline on a module update it would be greatly appreciated.

A lot of times, we are just recreating what exists in the current print version of the module, including the maps (or lack thereof) and the module information as it is laid out.

I will pass the information on to the developer who made the DLC to see if they have any additional information or suggestions.

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    Having written my own adventures and converted others for FG, a lot of how good the module is in FG is dependent upon how good the original module is. There is some lee-way and ability to help with links etc, but it's not a re-write.

As Moon mentions, when converting someone else's module (such as in this case), you are limited in what change you can make. Sometime organization can be improved with the use of links, but if the original module is disjointed or doesn't have various encounter maps, then the FG converter can't do much.

As you have noticed though, most of the WotC modules have additional community map modules to help include maps for encounters that the original doesn't have. But, such additional content can't be added to the official FG module and has to be created and added as a second module.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I will pass the information on to the developer who made the DLC to see if they have any additional information or suggestions.

Regards,
    JPG
    thank you very much it is very appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Having written my own adventures and converted others for FG, a lot of how good the module is in FG is dependent upon how good the original module is. There is some lee-way and ability to help with links etc, but it's not a re-write.

As Moon mentions, when converting someone else's module (such as in this case), you are limited in what change you can make. Sometime organization can be improved with the use of links, but if the original module is disjointed or doesn't have various encounter maps, then the FG converter can't do much.

As you have noticed though, most of the WotC modules have additional community map modules to help include maps for encounters that the original doesn't have. But, such additional content can't be added to the official FG module and has to be created and added as a second module.
    I just want to mention how great this community is, since posting this I have been perusing the Extension and mods others have created and there is a wealth of great content on this forum. It is greatly appreciated for all of the hard work and posts that everyone takes time to make so that this game and VTT solution can flourish. Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybinja View Post
    In the Legacy of the Crystal Shard module there appears to be missing maps which cause some issue while DM'ing. I am not sure if the official content contains these maps or not but there are 2 encounters I have found so far, the first encounter with Slim with the body on the floor there is no map but has tokens for the battle. The quest to protect the warehouse and there is an attack by Merek the Hobgoblin (Spelling?) there is no map for the warehouse but there are tokens and a battle planned for it. Was this by design? IMO there should be a map for every encounter otherwise why use FG for it? The other modules we have played all contain a map for each encounter but this one seems to be missing enough to appear only half complete.

Another point of contention I have is that the story seems very disjointed. There is information everywhere but you have to go searching through many previous story lines to locate it and there isnt any reference links for quite a few of the story pages. A prime example is where the party has a choice at the start of the adventure after the Yeti attack, the information exists on 4 separate pages which you have to manually sort through by clicking on other links in other story pages, not the page you are currently on. The plot hooks and stories dont lead into another story post using the flow of time effectively. It does outline the importance of time on the adventure but it doesn't make a reference of what has happened on the page you are on and the party is completing. You have to open 3 or 4 other story pages to surmise what has happened and where the next quest or line of business for the party should be. Furthermore After completing the confronting Slim quest it should state on the bottom of that page in my opinion what transpired while the party was looking for and finding Slim, which quests are now off the table due to them diverting their attention to this quest and what the options are go forward to move the story forward.

Fantasy grounds should provide the ability for a module like this to shine and make for a seamless adventure for the players and the DM but I am finding myself spending at times 5-10 minutes locating post action results and loading in non-module related maps to facilitate the needs to run the game which involves breaking immersion and slowing the game play flow.

It is entirely possible that I have missed something here but any guidance would be appreciated.
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

This product was originally converted in early 2016.

Every map from the original adventure is included. Adventures provided by most publishers include many encounters which are meant to be run in a theater of the mind style, although you are welcome to supplement it with your own maps or with a blank image and grid.

The link that you found https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...044#post249044 is something that Zacchaeus put together precisely because the official module doesn't have a battle map for every encounter.

The only problem is you'll have to go through and manually add the NPCs (monsters) to the community maps as there is no safe way to link the two.

We are discussing internally if it will be worth the time to adjust the contents of this product or if the delay to Fantasy Grounds Unity and the Starfinder ruleset would be worth it.
    Last edited by lokiare; September 8th, 2017 at 20:59. Reason: More information.

Unfortunately this module didn't come with any maps apart from one; but I see you found the maps that I did to try and fill in the gaps.

The adventure does require some preparation on the DMs side - it's not as polished perhaps as some of WotCs other products. I have a feeling that it started as something from the D&D Next days and was meant to be run at a convention at a number of tables. Having said that after the initial encounter the next page shows that the players might go on 4 different ways - and later there are more splits as to how the adventure progresses. This is a legacy (sorry) of the way the adventure could play out on different gaming tables with different groups going off in different directions. The module author (who is no longer around) did his best I think, but when I get some time I'll maybe have a look to see if I can improve the linking a bit.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Zacchaeus very often goes the extra mile. He has made additional maps for many of the WoTC adventures just to help make it easier to run and these are his own maps that he offers for free on the forums.

I have a fair amount of DLC for FG and most of the people doing the conversions try and make running the adventures are smooth as possible, but they also are limited to some extent with what is in the original adventure unless they have both the permission of the publisher and the ability to do more.
    Ultimate License. Running Hyperborea and CoC. Asks lots of questions. Mgpotter.com. PureVPN is a tested solution to run games when traveling. https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=33044

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    This is a legacy (sorry) of the way the adventure could play out on different gaming tables with different groups going off in different directions. The module author (who is no longer around) did his best I think, but when I get some time I'll maybe have a look to see if I can improve the linking a bit.
    That is a relief that it was an older parse of a TT version it explains more of why it reads the way it does, please dont feel you have to go out of your way! I was mainly voicing the findings I had on the adventure itself. The party and myself find it very enjoyable as is but I was hoping there was an update planned. I have found quite a bit on the forum here which will help for sure and I appreciate that you would take the time to see if there was a way to improve it!

Thread Information