Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

FG does not work 100%

I am having a technicial issue due to moving my FG and app data folders. I moved them because I kept getting errors when I tried to save a character on FG. Now I can save my stuff, but there are parts of the program that do not work correctly. For instance, when someone types a message in another language they do not appear with the special fonts when I do not understand that language. It is a garbled message and unreadable, but it does not look the way it is supposed to. I have tried updating and uninstalling and reinstalling the program and copying the new folders into the ones that I had created. I do not know if there are any other issues at this time because my group has not played since I did this. I am running Windows 10. Can someone help me with this?
    Last edited by Richard Nunn; August 27th, 2017 at 19:01.

Welcome to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by richard nunn View Post
    For instance, when someone types a message in another language they do not appear with the special fonts when I do not understand that language. It is a garbled message and unreadable, but it does not look the way it is supposed to.
    It sounds like you no longer have the relevant font extensions installed or enabled on your campaign. What ruleset are you using and what fonts are you expecting to see?

Did you transfer over all of the extensions and modules from your old directory after you changes to a new data directory for FG?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

All of my folders look the same in the original directory and the new one that I created.
    App Data directory: C:/Program Files (x86)/Fantasy Grounds/
    Data Directory: C:/Users/me/Documents/DND/Program data/

The data directory is what I moved. I made a new location in settings and copied and pasted the original contents into the new folder.

The tokens that came with the program were not working at first, but they are now. Right now the only issue I am aware of is that when a message is typed in a language unknown to me it comes up as "igyA!iHOI" rather than the special fonts created for the various languages.

Where are these fonts supposed to be located? What is the name of the file that holds them? Why didn't uninstalling and reinstalling or updating the program fix this issue?

extensions folder has this in it
    fate-BlankSkills.ext
    Theme_Dungeon.ext
    Theme_Wood.ext

Modules folder:
    3.5E-basicrules
    3.5E-magicitems
    3.5E-monsters
    3.5E-spells
    AnimalPogs
    Animals
    calendars
    CharacterPogs
    Characters
    Combat_Battlemaps
    FateCoreSRD
    fumblecrit
    ks01_ogl_well_met_in_kithtakharos
    lettertokens
    MonsterPogs
    Monsters
    PF-SRD-Basic-Rules
    PF-SRD-Bestiary
    PF-SRD-Magic-Items
    PF-SRD-Spells

Rulesets:
    3.5E.pak
    4E.pak
    5E.pak
    CoreRPG.pak
    Fate Core.pak
    Numenera.pak
    PFRPG.pak

The default data directory is user/Appdata/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds. Make sure that Fantasy Grounds isn't pointing to that location but rather the one you created (check the path in settings). The extension Trenloe is talking about will be in Fantasy Grounds/extensions. It isn't an extension that comes with FG but is rather something which you need to download separately from the link below.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...s-(FG-v3-1-3-)
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

It sounds like you no longer have the relevant font extensions installed or enabled on your campaign. What ruleset are you using and what fonts (languages) are you testing with?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I do not see any folders in Program Files ( x86)/Fantasy Grounds, which is my App Directory location. There is an extension folder in my Data directory, currently C:/Users/me/Documents/DND/Program data/, but putting the file in there does not solve my problem. I have just put the file into the App Directory, but unless someone can open a game with me it may be a week before I know if it changes anything. Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    It sounds like you no longer have the relevant font extensions installed or enabled on your campaign. What ruleset are you using and what fonts (languages) are you testing with?
    We are using DND5e ruleset. I just saw that none of the extensions are enabled. Do I only need to enable the fantasy language fonts? or all of them?

I do not see any folders in Program Files ( x86)/Fantasy Grounds, which is my App Directory location.
    Don't put any extensions, modules or anything else in this directory. It is just for the base application files.

To get to your data directory (where you put extensions, etc.) start Fantasy Grounds and click the folder icon in the top right of the main launch screen.

We are using DND5e ruleset. I just saw that none of the extensions are enabled. Do I only need to enable the fantasy language fonts? or all of them?
    None of the extensions are staying enabled. Each time I log on to FG they are disabled again and enabling them and joining a game does not work either.

Last night I changed my data directory back to the default, uninstalled FG, deleted all FG folders I could find, then reinstalled the program. The extensions still do not stay enabled. Is there another folder/cookie/file somewhere that has FG initializing information in it? I ask because it remembered my registration key and user name, so maybe there is other information there that got corrupted or changed.

Are you a player or the DM? Extensions can only be enabled and used if you are the DM. If you are a player then you only have access to whatever extensions the DM has enabled. Equally if the DM has enabled an extension it is unnecessary for the players to have the extension at all.

One other thing; extensions are not universal. So if you start a new campaign you have to enable whichever extensions you want for that campaign. If you go back to a previous campaign the extensions you enabled should still be there.
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; September 12th, 2017 at 19:44.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information