Fantasy Grounds Merchandise
    Blog Entries

+2 and +5 modifier buttons

New to 5e. I get the advantage and disadvantage rolls. The +2 and +5 modifier buttons, what are they used for? Is it situational things like for flanking in combat, you get a plus 2, so you press that? Or are they tied in to the advantage and disadvantage mechanic?
    See through the skies, far beyond our world tonight,
    Hear the sounds of freedom ring, in a silent dream,
    and a million miles away.
    Reach for the stars, and live our lives forever free,
    In our hearts for a thousand years, and a thousand lifetimes before.

And the dawn of a new day will rise, a light for us all. -Dragonforce

Blog Entries
    Typically they are used for cover. I forget if their are other cases that are listed in RAW, but they can be used anytime needed to apply the modifier to the next roll.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    -2 and -5 for ranged weapons, Medium and Long ranges respectively iirc.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

Blog Entries
    So this is pertaining to cover modifiers specifically?
    See through the skies, far beyond our world tonight,
    Hear the sounds of freedom ring, in a silent dream,
    and a million miles away.
    Reach for the stars, and live our lives forever free,
    In our hearts for a thousand years, and a thousand lifetimes before.

And the dawn of a new day will rise, a light for us all. -Dragonforce

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnarGreybeard View Post
    -2 and -5 for ranged weapons, Medium and Long ranges respectively iirc.
    Not RAW in 5E, it only has normal and long range (which is at disadvantage).

Cover is the only RAW use for them I know. But I'm sure there's something else.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Not RAW in 5E, it only has normal and long range (which is at disadvantage).

Cover is the only RAW use for them I know. But I'm sure there's something else.
    Oops, yeah, you are correct, only 2 ranges in 5e.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnarGreybeard View Post
    ... you are correct....
    Can I get that in writing? Might need it next time I talk to my wife!

Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    New to 5e. I get the advantage and disadvantage rolls. The +2 and +5 modifier buttons, what are they used for? Is it situational things like for flanking in combat, you get a plus 2, so you press that? Or are they tied in to the advantage and disadvantage mechanic?
    To some extent these aren't needed in the 5e ruleset at all since you already have the cover and sup. cover modifiers in the Modifiers dialog. However they are useful for the DM to have at his disposal for off the cuff bonuses or penalties. For example you might decide to impose a -2 penalty for using an improvised weapon rather than creating a whole new weapon line in the character's action tab. They can also be used for cover or possibly for shooting into a melee with allies or any number of off the cuff scenarios. Generally though in 5e the advantage/disadvantage rule covers most anything like that (basically having advantage or disadvantage works out at approximately a +5 bonus or -5 penalty).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Can I get that in writing? Might need it next time I talk to my wife!
    Won't work; they have immunity from that sort of thing.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thread Information