DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by shikage View Post
    My latest question on this would be.. is it possible to get the formatted text within a reference manual to be passed through the text replacement for the EOTE Ruleset? Primarily, is it possible to get the dice and symbol substitutions within the reference manual content?
    As you're using a reference manual - which is never edited within the campaign, it is static text, you can just use the original text replacement values in your text. See classes/common/baseformattedtextfield.lua for the replacement values. For example, a success which uses original text = (S) is replaced with ÿ

Also keep in mind that only one EotE ruleset font has these symbols in them: chatfont
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    As you're using a reference manual - which is never edited within the campaign, it is static text, you can just use the original text replacement values in your text. See classes/common/baseformattedtextfield.lua for the replacement values. For example, a success which uses original text = (S) is replaced with ÿ

Also keep in mind that only one EotE ruleset font has these symbols in them: chatfont
    I did get this to work, thanks. I had hoped it might be possible to do some processing of the text before it is rendered/displayed so that module authors can use the far simpler substitutions instead of the character codes. Is it correct that these icons in the formatted text fields are intended to not be fully colored? I expect it is but just checking.

Also, I've got most of the graphics aligned with the ruleset aside from some margin issues I think. However, all of the current window headers have the text coded into them and there's not blank template. Do you have a template, could make a new header with Reference on it, or could refer me to who might have these? I think a blank one is good, and the font used if possible, and then I can make the header more dynamic, prepping the way for translations, and hopefully easing the transition to layering this piece onto Core.
    Last edited by shikage; July 30th, 2017 at 01:33.

I did get this to work, thanks. I had hoped it might be possible to do some processing of the text before it is rendered/displayed so that module authors can use the far simpler substitutions instead of the character codes.
    I doubt this is possible as the reference manual data is read only.

Is it correct that these icons in the formatted text fields are intended to not be fully colored? I expect it is but just checking.
    The fonts are limited to 4 levels of greyscale (including black and white).

However, all of the current window headers have the text coded into them and there's not blank template. Do you have a template, could make a new header with Reference on it, or could refer me to who might have these? I think a blank one is good, and the font used if possible, and then I can make the header more dynamic, prepping the way for translations, and hopefully easing the transition to layering this piece onto Core.
    String controls have two ways of specifying within XML what they contain (if the contents of the control is not data stored in the database) - i.e. labels, headings and such won't have that data in the database it ill be specified in the XML definition. Look at the Definition for the string control here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/stringcontrol.xcp Look at the <static>.. <textres> entry if you want to replace the hard coded string with a <string> entry. Do a search for textres in CoreRPG and you'll see plenty of examples of this being used, the <string> definitions are in the various files in the \strings directory.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    String controls have two ways of specifying within XML what they contain (if the contents of the control is not data stored in the database) - i.e. labels, headings and such won't have that data in the database it ill be specified in the XML definition. Look at the Definition for the string control here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/stringcontrol.xcp Look at the <static>.. <textres> entry if you want to replace the hard coded string with a <string> entry. Do a search for textres in CoreRPG and you'll see plenty of examples of this being used, the <string> definitions are in the various files in the \strings directory.
    I follow this already. What I have noticed though is in the current Star Wars EotE ruleset the labels at the top of windows such as Library, Portraits, Preferences, Modules, etc.. have static images which include the heading text in a pretty nice font included in the image. I am now realizing there is enough empty space I could chop up the image a little differently to effectively have myself a blank template. This would let me overlay text from the Strings definitions onto an image that would at least suit the overall appearance of the ruleset better. Ideally, if I could get the font used then I could either use that font for the string overlaid onto the image or I could make a new static image that follows the same style as the existing ones. I've actually implemented the use of a string overlaid onto a blank heading, which does get me close to the results for the rest of the titles, as shown in the attachments.

Lobosolo did the graphics. Drop them a PM to see what font they used.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Thread Information