5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last

EXT: Old-School Initiative

Unearthed Arcana's Greyhawk Initiative System
    Version: 1.1
    Description: At the beginning of a combat round, each PC and NPC chooses actions which build a pool of dice that are rolled for initiative. This extension provides a clean UI for controlling the mechanics of this playtest system. You are encouraged to read the free UA article describing the reasoning for the initiative system as well as an example of play using it.

How to Use
    The initiative tracker opens automatically (to make sure your combat tracker is properly modified). You can also access it from a PC's character sheet or a button in the Combat Tracker. Double-click the ? button in the upper left corner for instructions. It is recommended that you set your FG option to stop at the end of a round.

How Does It Work
    This extension hijacks several aspects of the Combat Tracker, using input determined from the UI of the initiative tracker to set the initiative order. From there you can use the Combat Tracker normally, determining new initiative each round.

Update Notes
    • CT would process characters out of order sometimes. Fixed.
    • Script error when trying to remove effect. Fixed.

Modification Specifics
    Ruleset Files Altered:
    none
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Nickademus; October 2nd, 2017 at 20:37.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

I really like the idea of the Greyhawk initiative system and interested in this mod.

Mind you its not a system that I would want to run around the table - I can imagine it being cumbersome and slow the combat down even further. I suppose an approach could be to popup the screen (a bit similar to Savage Worlds card initiative choice) where you chose your action and the dice to be rolled are displayed followed by a click to confirm button.

I must admit though when I read it, I thought a better way of doing the initiative would be to start off with a d20 base and then depending what actions they take in the round would build the dice they roll for the next rounds initiative. This way the computer program could track the actions easier, but then again thats not the way the Greyhawk initiative system was written.

I wonder if this is one of the entries that will appear for the new Xanthar's Guide to Everything when its released in November this year which means it may need to be added as functionality to the ruleset.
    Ultimate License
    UK Time Zone (GMT/BST)
    DM'ing since 1977 (Basic D&D)

Currently Playing:
    Empire of the Ghouls 5E Campaign
    Tales from the Yawning Portal 5E Campaign
    Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder 1e
    Amazing Adventures 5E Campaign
    "Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies
    But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be."
    Rush - Losing It

Currently DM'ing
    Princes of the Apocalypse 5E Campaign
    Waterdeep: Mad Mage 5E Campaign
    The Blight 5E Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by ColinBuckler View Post
    I wonder if this is one of the entries that will appear for the new Xanthar's Guide to Everything when its released in November this year which means it may need to be added as functionality to the ruleset.
    It is not. Mike Mearls has already stated that.

I have already volunteered my group to try this for a few games. I can't wait till this extension is testable. I can play test it for you!

I am currently using a throw back to basic D&D, each side rolls and the higher initiative side goes. My players like it, bit the Merle's system will give players some control over their order. I just don't want to do all the rolls manually, neither are my players keen on making things more complex.

This guinea pig is at your service for play testing!

Quote Originally Posted by Oxen007 View Post
    This guinea pig is at your service for play testing!
    Unfortunately, the UI uses a few button that would be copyright infringement to include. So I will have to post the extension without button graphics and have the user add in whatever images they want (unless some generous community artist is willing to donate some graphics for the button). Other than that, this is almost done.

.... oh, and welcome to the forums Oxen. Entrails will yell at me if I don't observe the formalities.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    Unfortunately, the UI uses a few button that would be copyright infringement to include. So I will have to post the extension without button graphics and have the user add in whatever images they want (unless some generous community artist is willing to donate some graphics for the button). Other than that, this is almost done.

.... oh, and welcome to the forums Oxen. Entrails will yell at me if I don't observe the formalities.
    *lol*
    Just for that I will offer to make some very crude buttons if you tell me what you need and hopefully point me to sample images so I can get size and coloring etc.

I do promise they will be crude though. I'm no artist and don't have time to learn

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

That's why I use text buttons a lot, until one of the other guys decides it needs to be spruced up.

JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post

Will you post instructions on how to add the button graphics?

Thanks for the welcome. Been a while since I used FG, just testing out the waters again by finishing the POTA campaign. I'll be using this at the table with one player remote.

I will if it is necessary.

Thread Information