DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Thread: A 3D Star Chart

Lightbulb A 3D Star Chart

Hi All,

I know that Fantasy RPGs are the more popular genre both within FG and without, but one of the games I'm GM is a SF game (Star Frontiers Alpha Hawks, to be exact). Part of the "backstory" for the campaign is the Star Chart, and as it might help inspire some others I've linked it here.

Its a single JavaScript webpage hosted on my site. All measurements are in Light Years. The Chart is fully zoom-able (via mouse wheel), fully pan-able (via click-and-drag), and extra info is displayed when you hover over a star (some of the stats won't mean much to you as they are game-specific, but they deal with the star's co-ordinates and travel times (in hours), etc).

So, enjoy! And comments are welcome

Cheers
    Last edited by dulux-oz; July 16th, 2017 at 12:09.
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    Its a single JavaScript webpage hoisted on my site.
    Where did you hoist it from

Nice work!
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Where did you hoist it from

Nice work!
    So I've got dyslexic fingers

Or I actual did steal it form somewhere

Or I pulled it up from the depths of my sub-conscious

Which explanation makes you feel better?

And thanks
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

Blog Entries
    Ooh, thanks. Nice. I've only ever seen the 2D maps from the original games, and of course the KH game map is the one I know best. Now I'm going to say, "Hey, why don't we try a shortcut here... Come on guys, what are the odds we're going to get lost... No guts, no Glory!"

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    what are the odds we're going to get lost... No guts, no Glory!"
    See the Astrogation: Risk Jumping skill - its quite easy to work out the odds.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

Hi All,

I know that Fantasy RPGs are the more popular genre both within FG and without, but one of the games I'm GM is a SF game (Star Frontiers Alpha Hawks, to be exact). Part of the "backstory" for the campaign is the Star Chart, and as it might help inspire some others I've linked it here.

Its a single JavaScript webpage hosted on my site. All measurements are in Light Years. The Chart is fully zoom-able (via mouse wheel), fully pan-able (via click-and-drag), and extra info is displayed when you hover over a star (some of the stats won't mean much to you as they are game-specific, but they deal with the star's co-ordinates and travel times (in hours), etc).

Cheers
    Very cool. Gives things a nice, new sense of perspective.

Speaking of Star Frontiers maps, I recreated a more modern and VTT friendly 2D Zebs Frontier map about 10-11 years ago... I think it still holds up: https://starfrontiers.info/wiki/inde..._for_a_New_Age

Hi All,

Cheers
    When I look at the link, all I get is a blank white page for some reason.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsDen13 View Post
    When I look at the link, all I get is a blank white page for some reason.
    Try a different web browser. I suspect it uses javascript or something that might not be supported on your default browser.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Try a different web browser. I suspect it uses javascript or something that might not be supported on your default browser.
    Yes, it uses JavaScript quite heavily - that's also why it takes a few seconds to render. The underlying graphing package is js that get downloaded anly with a (relatively) large amount of data, which then needs to be acted upon by the local PC.

And if you're wondering: I couldn't get it done in any other way that was as "satisfying" with the 3D-effects, etc.

Mind you, it is completely W3C compliant, so if your browser is also W3C compliant you should have no issues (ie Firefox, IE, Edge, don't know about Chrome).
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

Yes, it uses JavaScript quite heavily - that's also why it takes a few seconds to render. The underlying graphing package is js that get downloaded anly with a (relatively) large amount of data, which then needs to be acted upon by the local PC.

And if you're wondering: I couldn't get it done in any other way that was as "satisfying" with the 3D-effects, etc.

Mind you, it is completely W3C compliant, so if your browser is also W3C compliant you should have no issues (ie Firefox, IE, Edge, don't know about Chrome).
    I figured out how to get it to open with IE but my Edge (my normal browser engine) doesn't seem to open anything.

It looks extremely cool. Where was this 30 years ago when my group was playing Traveller......lol. Thanks for helping me see it.

Thread Information