STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Mission Completion

It would be awesome if someone would start running just missions in the modules so that session lengths can be a little more manageable. It is hard to get 4-5 hours away to run a complete module, and I think it is even harder to complete modules that have been started and not completed.

For instance, we had a long session in Defiance in Plan, but only completed missions 1-3. I could love to complete the module, but it would be much easier if sessions were shorter length.

Once I get more experience with FG, I will be running sessions like that for missions that I have completed, but not for ones that I have not.

Thoughts?
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

I am not sure exactly what you mean but it sounds like what you are suggesting is not allowed by AL rules and also wouldn't work practically. Defiance in Phlan and the other first modules of the seasons are written differently than the others. There are 5 "missions" that have their own beginning, middle, and end each. If you only play the first part of other modules you would only play the beginning of the story. It would be rather unsatisfying and confusing. In hardcovers you are expressly forbidden from running only portions of chapters. They do this to discourage item farming.

That being said, there are things you can do to try to cut down on the length of the module. The most obvious thing would be to cut out encounters. I have been thinking about doing this myself. Often there are encounters that don't really further the story much. I have found the encounters that don't further the story to be mostly boring. However, there are some that cannot be cut because otherwise the story wouldn't make any sense. I suggest you take a look at a module that is not the first of the season to see what I mean.

Not sure where it says in the AL rules that you cannot complete a module, since in particular, Defiance in Phlan is specifically setup to be run in 5 different sessions per the module overview

Unlike most other D&D Expeditions adventures, Defiance in Phlan is broken into five mini-adventures, each of which is designed for one hour of play.
    It seems like it can and should be played in smaller chunks. So, I see nothing wrong, nor in the rules, that prevents me from being the GM for 1 or several of the missions multiple times for unique characters to go through...especially given that there are so many players looking for games....I could see running mission 1 multiple times, if enough interest is there, then running mission 2, etc.

The same should be possible for any other adventures that are broken out in such a way.

Unless, of course, you can point me to the rules that say that I cannot do that?????
    aka Laendra

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

You can break a module into multiple sessions but you can't run only part of a module intentionally. As I said Defiance in Phlan is written differently than all of the others. The only modules that are written that way are the first modules of each season and maybe one other I think. That means that only 6 total are written that way.

Quote Originally Posted by marcusrife View Post
    You can break a module into multiple sessions but you can't run only part of a module intentionally.
    Sounds contradictory...
    aka Laendra

I don't get what your asking. Are you looking for a DM to run Adventure League material in something less than 4-5 blocks?

The more players there are the harder the battles are made which means the combat last longer. , So I suppose what it sounds like is that you want to find an AL DM, that will limit their group size to only 3 or 4 players for the session. That should quicken how fast you can make it through combat. Which would likely mean you would get through all 5 chapters in the 3 to 4 hour time slot allotment.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenloft713 View Post
    I don't get what your asking. Are you looking for a DM to run Adventure League material in something less than 4-5 blocks?
    Looking for, as a player, looking to as a DM
    aka Laendra

Quote Originally Posted by deer_buster View Post
    Sounds contradictory...
    Don't know if you are aware but you are coming off as contentious.

What that means is that when you start a module you must do so with the full intention of completing it. If you do not end up completing due to reasons outside of your control then fine. However, you will not get DM rewards, the players will not get downtime, renown, and only the experience and treasure for the encounters completed. The module minimum does not come into play. I didn't make up the rules. The main intent here as I understand it is to discourage people from item farming.

Not trying to be contentious (online chat is difficult to convey tone and meaning), merely trying to get clarification, as it wasn't/isn't clear to me what as to what is being objected to. I am not sure if it is because I am not explaining it correctly, or if I am not understanding how you are applying the rules to explain it back to me.

I am not sure how it is item farming by breaking a module into several sessions. It is my full intention to complete every module/mission, both as a player and DM, that I start, with the understanding that once an adventure is "paused", it must be completed with the same group of people that started it, excepting in the case of, say, Defiance in Phlan, which was designed such that each mission was a session unto itself, and each mission could be run with a different group (although only once per individual character), and in any order.

I "think" you are confusing the fact that I want to run Defiance sessions multiple times for different players/characters, with me wanting to run it multiple times with the same character?????

My intention is to (soon™) run (DM) Defiance in Phlan missions continuously until there aren't any players interested in running it.

Am I still missing the point?????
    aka Laendra

Thread Information