Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

MAC High Sierra: Wineskin Fails

I am an early adopter of Mac High Sierra, so there very well may not be an update/workaround for this. However, in the interest of getting the discussion going, wineskin is not compatible with High Sierra. Specifically, when launching wineskin in High Sierra two errors result:

1. CreateDevice Failed!
    2. Could not initialize graphics system!

Any workarounds or updates to resolve this issue in High Sierra would be much appreciated -- looking to avoid reinstalling the older OS.

Thanks,

Sean

Upstate NY (and not Westchester, I mean dead in the middle)
    Thanks for the heads up, as a Mac user (and typical early adopter) I think I will hold off on this update to see how this fares.

Perhaps a VM of some sort is in order? Virtual Box / Parallels / Fusion... or the dreaded Boot Camp ;-(

Also, while looking into this, I found this site, which seems to be someone dealing with trying to get Skyrim working. There may be some clues for you here.

Good Luck! If you come up with a solution, it would be great to post it here.

After some research, I did end up finding out that it may relate to a VMware issue (no idea what VMware is). The developers seem to be aware of the issue in High Sierra due to community members having problems with other games, and are working on an update.

Okay, so I am a little shocked... I tweaked the screen options and actually got it to launch in Mac High Sierra. Below is the wineskin settings I used:

Attachment 19717

VM typically refers to "Virtual Machine". Basically it's a way of being able to run another operating system (Windows / Linux, etc.) without having to reboot and use Bootcamp. I personally use Parallels, which is a popular VM application. In effect, it's like having Windows running on your Mac OS. You can switch back and forth between the two operating systems, like switching between Mac apps. If you have the funds, it's a pretty reliable way of dealing with your problem, it's an actively supported application, as is VMware Fusion (another brand of VM which achieves basically the same thing). Crossover is possibly another option, though I've found that as hard to setup as Wineskin.

My guess is that if it's possible for Wineskin to work with Sierra, it will come along pretty quickly. Other than Linux, the other main use for Wine is basically the Mac OS.

Have you attempted to install FG from the Mac Installer available here?

Just out of curiosity, when you installed Sierra, did you wipe the hard drive and do a totally clean install? Or did you "upgrade" the OS? If you did an upgrade installation, you may just have to uninstall Wine, and re-install. It's possible during the upgrade installation one of the Wine resources got borked. (I don't know very much about this, just saying what I would possibly be trying if I was in your situation) Here's a link to how to uninstall Wineskin Winery.

Quote Originally Posted by P0H0 View Post
    Okay, so I am a little shocked... I tweaked the screen options and actually got it to launch in Mac High Sierra. Below is the wineskin settings I used:

Attachment 19717
    The attachment is "invalid"

But that's great news.

I upgraded -- I know the library on High Sierra is supposed to be a lot different. So it makes sense that reinstalling wine may help.

I upgraded -- I know the library on High Sierra is supposed to be a lot different. So it makes sense that reinstalling wine may help.
    Oh yeah, isn't it a whole other file system now? (not HFS+)?

I guess attaching the image isn't working...

Here are the setting in Wineskin - Screen Options:

- Override Settings: Rootless (windowed)
    - Virtual Desktop at: Current Resolution
    - Install Options: Force normal windows
    - Override Wine control of Screen Settings? Override
    - Other Options: Decorate windows
    Last edited by P0H0; July 6th, 2017 at 00:37.

I guess attaching the image isn't working...

Here are the setting in Wineskin - Screen Options:

- Override Settings: Rootless (windowed)
    - Virtual Desktop at: Current Resolution
    - Install Options: Force normal windows
    - Override Wine control of Screen Settings? Override
    - Other Options: Decorate windows
    Great, when it comes time to update to Sierra I will look here. thanks!

Thread Information